PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Was Our Defense Missing in the AFCCG ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
My memory blows.

I know we were without Seau, Harrison, Wilson, Gay because they were out for the year. We were also without the real Vrabel as he's clearly a better player Outside. So we were missing Vrabel, the OLB.

That's Vrabel, Seau, Harrison, Seau, Gay.

That's where I get fuzzy.

My not so good memory tells me that Seymour, Colvin and Bruschi were in and out with various tweaks/illnesses.

Am I forgetting anyone or inadvertently adding anyone ?

Their immune systems.

AD :rocker: .......................

AD :rocker: .......................
Nice, I was thinking of the ones who were out and forgetting about our addition.

Anyone remember about the ones I'm unsure about ?

no Kevin Faulk in the second half.

that was the diff between winning and losing.

I remember Ray Mickens, R. Baker, and Eric Alexandra playing alot in the second half.

I can't stress it enough......the Colts have NEVER beaten a Pats team at full strength in any of the last three meetings. The closest was last years regular season game. Dillion was banged up and Harrison left the game in the 1st quarter.....and it was a seven point win.

Players who will play this week that weren't available in the 2nd half of the AFCCG:

Defense

Harrison
AD
Wright
Sanders
Meriweather
Colvin
Seau
Gay

Offense

Moss
Welker
Stalworth
Faulk
K. Brady

Additional players that were playing hurt or sick

Seymour
Wilfork
Maroney
Vrabel
Bruschi

Wilson may play, but I am not expecting him to. I expect Watson and Morris to miss the game as well. In the interest of fairness, NE is also missing Graham and Dillon who left in FA. All that said, I would gladly trade the missing guys to get all of the above players back.

Last edited:
Nice, I was thinking of the ones who were out and forgetting about our addition.

Anyone remember about the ones I'm unsure about ?

I know, I'm just giddy with excitement that he will be there for us this time. Sorry :(

I know, I'm just giddy with excitement that he will be there for us this time. Sorry :(
No criticism intended.

Between him in the shorter zones and actual, real life, legit Safties for the deeper zones, the middle of the field should be much better taken care of this year. I expect we'll see a lot of Gay in there with Hobbs and Samuel too. Those 3 with Harrison and Sanders will be a nice nickel group.

Last edited:
Players who will play this week that weren't available in the 2nd half of the AFCCG:

Defense

Harrison
AD
Wright
Sanders
Meriweather
Colvin
Seau
Gay

Offense

Moss
Welker
Stalworth
Faulk
K. Brady

Additional players that were playing hurt or sick

Seymour
Wilfork
Maroney
Vrabel
Bruschi

Wilson may play, but I am not expecting him to. I expect Watson and Morris to miss the game as well. In the interest of fairness, NE is also missing Graham and Dillon who left in FA. All that said, I would gladly trade the missing guys to get all of the above players back.

Seymour missed the majority of the second half as well as Bruschi. Colvin was a monster in the first half and got hurt.

Seymour missed the majority of the second half as well as Bruschi. Colvin was a monster in the first half and got hurt.

I am pretty sure Bruschi slugged through the 2nd half, but I will take your word on Seymour.

With the guys we had missing in the second half of the game....it's a wonder how we gave up all those points and lost.:rolleyes:

I smell blow out Sunday.

Last edited:
Vrabel played OLB that game. Eric Alexander started at ILB in his spot and was picked on; Go look at the gamebook and you'll see Alexander lead the team with 10 tackles, but the play-by-play shows they're all of the "3rd-and-8: P.Manning to D.Clark for 12 yards (E.Alexander)" variety.

Colvin had a great first half, then got banged up and missed most of the 2nd half. TBC filled in and had a rough game.

Seymour started the game, but was already hobbled from the San Diego game and got dinged up the very first Colts' offensive snap. He played most of the game, but was a shell of his normal self.

As noted, Wilson and Harrison were out at safety. I believe Hawkins went down in the 2nd half (maybe it was Sanders - I forget), so Chad Scott saw some action at safety. Ray Mickens played quite a bit of nickel; I'd prefer Randall Gay myself.

Let's not forget what happened on offense...the top THREE running backs went down. Dillon, Maroney and Faulk were all out of the game by the 4th quarter, leaving Heath Evans to carry the load.

Regards,
Chris

I have nightmares of Eric Alexander and Tully Banta-Cain trying to stop the Colts.

Expect a much much better D game with a healthy Colvin, Seymour, Harrison, Seau, Gay and Wilfork. Plus with AD, and also Vrabel on OLB.

Remember those costly drop passes by the WR corps. Not anymore!
Use Faulk more throughout the game.

I hope Kyle Brady, Watson, and Morris will be back for this. But doubt it on Morris. Not sure about Watson and Brady.

Refresh my memory on what happened to Faulk

Knee injury near the end of the second half.

If Indy plays just as well as they did in that game they will be beaten soundly. Nobody realizes just how many injuries NE suffered through in that game. People just respond with crap like, "injuries are part of the game" or "no excuses", but it is true. NE's defensive injuries cumulative were probably as much or more than Manning missing this game. Sometimes injuries *do* matter.

One more thing our defense will shed: the heavy and uncomfortable uniforms they had when playing last year at the Colts stadium - which due to some inexplicable law of nature, become quite hot...:D

Last edited:
Chad jackson went out with an ACL on O also

Reading this thread has truly increased my impatience level for this game to get here.

Just looking at the roster of players the Pats will have in the holster this time around has got me giddy.

Disregarding the flu/playing hurt considerations, here are some of the positiional changes from then to now:

Safety: Artrell Hawkins - - Rodney Harrison

3rd CB: Chad Scott - - Randall Gay

OLB: TBC - - Mike Vrabel

ILB: Mike Vrabel - - Adalius Thomas

Backup ILB: Chad Whatshisname from the Steelers - - Junior Seau

Top 3 WR's: Caldwell, Gaffney, Troy Brown - - Moss, Stallworth, Welker

OLB: Alexander - - Colvin

The only two positions where we may be slightly weaker than the AFCG is TE and RB (depth without Sammy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes