PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fantasy League Question: Who to start....Blount or Gray

If you had both on your fantasy team..who would you start and who would you sit?

Sorry, I thought this was a football thread. I'll answer anyway. Gray the 1st half because he hits the hole quicker and always gets positive yards and Blount in the second half to wreak havock in the secondary.

I love how the Patriots game plan to have different players each week and screw up fantasy plans.

Last edited:
I have Gray on my team, but didn't bother to put him in the starting lineup last week vs. DET. I had no idea that he'd be sitting the entire game (obviously), but I didn't like the matchup vs a tough front 7.

I do think that Gray will be placed right back in the mix on Sunday and in the coming weeks, as his "punishment" will not last any longer. That said, I don't believe that any of the Patriot RBs are great plays at the position, since they are so hit and miss as it pertains to fantasy production.

Kind of like Tim Wright--you don't know if he's going to score 2 TDs or only have 10 snaps. It's difficult to predict, which is likely part of the genius behind the decision by Belichick, and something we as fans should love!

Blount, people keep mentioning that Gray not playing was punishment. While there may have been a bit of that, I think it was mostly that BB thinks Blount is a better back. I also think the Pats will get a lot of yards on the ground Sunday.
I tend to agree with you. I think if we gave Blount 38 carries against the Colts he probably would have had 300 yards. Gray is solid but he isn't as good as Blount.

Use the "ignore thread" option.

That's not sufficient. After all, some actually thought this thread was about actual football. IMHO, this board is about who Belichick should start.

I will address this is a post that is clearly marked, but I think that off-topic threads should be (and are) marked as such. This is because many of us have interest about lots of football other than patriot-related items. IMHO, fantasy football threads should also be marked. These discussions may have lots of interest. There are lots of discussions that are of interest. But, these are OT or FF.

That's not sufficient. After all, some actually thought this thread was about actual football. IMHO, this board is about who Belichick should start.

I will address this is a post that is clearly marked, but I think that off-topic threads should be (and are) marked as such. This is because many of us have interest about lots of football other than patriot-related items. IMHO, fantasy football threads should also be marked. These discussions may have lots of interest. There are lots of discussions that are of interest. But, these are OT or FF.

The initial complaint:

Who cares. Fantasy football is for losers. Get this crap off here.

and the moving of a Thanksgiving thread the day before Thanksgiving (which was actually done earlier today), are good examples of over-moderation. Worrying about someone not putting OT in front of the thread is a bit OCD, IMO, unless it becomes a pattern with the poster, but it's also a minor adjustment.

and the moving of a Thanksgiving thread the day before Thanksgiving (which was actually done earlier today), are good examples of over-moderation. Worrying about someone not putting OT in front of the thread is a bit OCD, IMO, unless it becomes a pattern with the poster, but it's also a minor adjustment.

points well taken

I agree with your point about over-moderation. I have joined you in such positions on many occasions.
I'm agree that the lack of OT labeling isn't a big deal if it happens only occasionally. After all, a mod can make change the thread title to include "OT".

I didn't know whether or not fantasy football is clearly OT. I even suggested a separate designation if there is sufficient interest. If fantasy football is clearly off-topic, then there is certainly no issue with this one thread not being noted as OT.

And yes, I find it strange to be jump on threads about holidays.

I wound not start any pats RB's to inconsistent but if I had to pick one its blount, gray may not even see the field again this year

points well taken

I agree with your point about over-moderation. I have joined you in such positions on many occasions.
I'm agree that the lack of OT labeling isn't a big deal if it happens only occasionally. After all, a mod can make change the thread title to include "OT".

I didn't know whether or not fantasy football is clearly OT. I even suggested a separate designation if there is sufficient interest. If fantasy football is clearly off-topic, then there is certainly no issue with this one thread not being noted as OT.

And yes, I find it strange to be jump on threads about holidays.

It's not OT, it's in the wrong forum. I answered what I thought was the question (per headline) because it is of interest to how BB chooses to use the two big backs. He doesn't use myface and has mocked fantasy football and meaningless stats on more than one occasion recently. Fantasy football really has nothing to do with the game of football and detracts from discussion IMO. That's why it has a separate forum.

gray may not even see the field again this year

I think you're a good poster, but this thought is absolutely nuts in my opinion.

Belichick is not the kind of guy to hold long term grudges with current players on our team. Jonas Gray was punished and it's over now.

He may not see the same number of carries that he would've had we not signed Blount, but he'll still see the field for crying out loud.

It's not OT, it's in the wrong forum. I answered what I thought was the question (per headline) because it is of interest to how BB chooses to use the two big backs. He doesn't use myface and has mocked fantasy football and meaningless stats on more than one occasion recently. Fantasy football really has nothing to do with the game of football and detracts from discussion IMO. That's why it has a separate forum.

The main forum gets off topic stuff all the time. Usually, people are capable of being adults and moving on with their lives despite such tragic happenings.

Kind of like Tim Wright--you don't know if he's going to score 2 TDs or only have 10 snaps.

Actually, I'm beginning to expect 2 TDs on 10 snaps for him every week now. :D

Just visiting the Fantasy Forum that I never looked for before.
As Uncle Leo would say ....Hello.
And for my one and hopefully only FF contribution here....Remember 2013 after the bye. NE cranked up the running game in December and Blount went wild. Fast forward to this year....two games past the NE bye week and it seems BB has once again re-emphasized the ground game and his horse is back. This NFL season is into its fourth month and teams are beat up and many D Lines are depleted. When you can exploit weakness...you exploit weakness. I love this kind of football...and I love play action.
I'm buying Blount this week, I'm taking the points if they are willing to give 'em....and I expect to go to the bank with a deposit slip....Hello

Just visiting the Fantasy Forum that I never looked for before.
As Uncle Leo would say ....Hello.
And for my one and hopefully only FF contribution here....Remember 2013 after the bye. NE cranked up the running game in December and Blount went wild. Fast forward to this year....two games past the NE bye week and it seems BB has once again re-emphasized the ground game and his horse is back. This NFL season is into its fourth month and teams are beat up and many D Lines are depleted. When you can exploit weakness...you exploit weakness. I love this kind of football...and I love play action.
I'm buying Blount this week, I'm taking the points if they are willing to give 'em....and I expect to go to the bank with a deposit slip....Hello

That shoulder thing didn't look good in the short term for Lafell.

Go with Dobson on the cheap.

(OK, I fell on my face with that one last week, but one of these days........)

BTW, Mike Reis brought up a very pertinent factoid to those wondering about whether to use Blount against the Packers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...3/patriots-packers-through-a-stats-based-lens

8. Blount and yards after contact. Running back LeGarrette Blount has averaged 2.9 yards per rush after initial contact this season, best in the NFL. The Packers have allowed an NFL-worst 2.0 yards per rush after contact this season. Meanwhile, Packers running back Eddie Lacy has been one of the NFL's best at yards after contact, averaging 2.32 yards.

(shaking fists) "You kids get off my lawn"

;)

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes