PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who to root for week 16 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Patriots (12-2) at Bills (4-10), With a win or a tie, NE clinches the #1 seed.

Jets (10-4) at Bears (10-4), With a Bears win or tie, NE clinches the #1 seed.

Colts (8-6) at Raiders (7-7) - Raiders loss helps our first round pick. Colts in the playoffs don't scare me. Likely to be the pick that generates the most controversy.

Panthers (2-12) at Steelers (10-4), Our second round pick. Steelers can't beat us out for any playoff situation.

Vikings (5-9) at Eagles (10-4) - Our third round pick.

Saints (10-4) at Falcons (12-2) - Saints haven't clinched a playoff spot and we have their 6th round pick.

Cowboys (5-9) at Cardinals (4-10), Cowboys have a better shot of getting ahead of our picks than the Cards.

49ers (5-9) at Rams (6-8), Rams have the better chance of picking before the Raiders/Vikings.

Chargers (8-6) at Bengals (3-11) - end oakland's season

Giants (9-5) at Packers (8-6), To keep the Saints out.

Lions (4-10) at Dolphins (7-7), stay ahead of Raiders

Ravens (10-4) at Browns (5-9) Can catch Oakland. But if Mangini loses another I won't be upset.

Redskins (5-9) at Jaguars (8-6), Also can catch Oakland

Seahawks (6-8) at Buccaneers (8-6), Catch Oakland.

Texans (5-9) at Broncos (3-11), Catch Oakland.

Titans (6-8) at Chiefs (9-5), Clinch the West, end Oakland's season.

Last edited:
As always, I look forward to this thread.

But, as often, I think you put too much stock in pick placement.

The reality is Belichick could probably care less if his pick is 12 or 15 - if he has a guy targeted in that zone, he'll find a way to get him. So I wouldn't sweat the Raiders losing.

Colts in the playoffs should scare you - they have Peyton Manning.

It's all too mind boggling to me, BUT I do know who I will not, nor ever root for, and that's the Jets, the hatred for that team is far to deep, followed closely by the Ravens.

I'm onboard with everything except for rooting for the Colts to win, even if it's the Raiders.

It has nothing to do with FEARING the Colts. It is just simply a matter of HATING the Colts and wanting to see the playoffs cleansed of their presence, even if it means a few draft slots.

So that would also mean wanting a Jaguars win.

Last edited:
I'm rooting against the Falcons in the longshot hope that they blow their chance at homefield advantage. I'd rather it go to the Bears.

Bears-Pats SB rematch sounds good*.:D

*I'm a fan. I'm allowed to get ahead of myself.

It amazes me how people think the Pats will steamroll the Colts.

Since 2004, this has not been the case.

I want the Jets, Ravens and Jags to win, I want the Colts and Chargers out of the playoffs; nothing has the potential to beat us in the playoffs like a top QB.

Last edited:
I want the Jets, Ravens and Jags to win, I want the Colts and Chargers out of the playoffs; nothing has the potential to beat us in the playoffs like a top QB.

I admit, I want BAL. Last year's playoff game ticks me off still. Kraft has said that that loss on many levels, bothers him more than other AFC playoff losses. Particularity the lack of fight that they showed that day. This organization is MUCH better than that and they have shown it this year.

Last edited:
Too many people around here are wayyyy to obsessed with that dang Oakland draft pick. Who cares? The pick is gonna be somewhere in the middle of the 1st round. Guys are picking against Oakland around here when it could actually HELP teams get into the playoffs or actually improve their seeding. Yeah. like guys rooting for The Chargers vs. The Raiders a few weeks ago, or actually wanting the effing Colts to beat them this week. Dude, you're a frigging fool if you want The Colts to win. A Colts win in exchange for a slot or two rise in the Oakland pick? NO WAY. Who freaking gives a sh*t what actual number that pick is? Anywhere between 10 and 20 is where it's gonna be. Freaking 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another. Get a grip.

Too many people around here are wayyyy to obsessed with that dang Oakland draft pick. Who cares? The pick is gonna be somewhere in the middle of the 1st round. Guys are picking against Oakland around here when it could actually HELP teams get into the playoffs or actually improve their seeding. Yeah. like guys rooting for The Chargers vs. The Raiders a few weeks ago, or actually wanting the effing Colts to beat them this week. Dude, you're a frigging fool if you want The Colts to win. A Colts win in exchange for a slot or two rise in the Oakland pick? NO WAY. Who freaking gives a sh*t what actual number that pick is? Anywhere between 10 and 20 is where it's gonna be. Freaking 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another. Get a grip.

Pretty much this. We can't undo those Oakland wins and get back to a top ten pick.

Your are approximately describing the difference between Darrelle Revis (14) and Brandon Meriweather (24).

Or to put it another way, it's a difference that teams would trade a 2nd-3rd round pick for or more.

Last edited:
Actually we should be rooting for the Saints to beat the Falcons otherwise the Falcon's week 17 game against the Panthers will be meaningless to them and the Panthers may actually steal a win.

Don't underestimate what BB will do with the #33 pick. With the new draft format, every team in the league (aside from the Jets who BB will tell to shove it) will be calling all night long looking for that pick. In recent drafts he has fleeced the Jags, Titans, and now Carolina trading in a five minute window, imagine what he can do with 12 hours..........

Last edited:
Your are approximately describing the difference between Darrelle Revis (14) and Brandon Meriweather (24).

Or to put it another way, it's a difference that teams would trade a 2nd-3rd round pick for or more.
Its the difference between Manning and Garrard that matters most at this point in my opinion. I'll take my chance that the guy steering the ship will choose a good player between 14-20 in the draft, or a good scenario of later picks etc. and root for the Raiders

No I'm not. Don't gimme no effing names of players and what pick they were. Gee, more anal over analysis about some pick down the road while hoping for dangerous teams to gain confidence who're actually in our way to The Super Bowl. But hey, it's a dang footaball board. it's not like I'm gonna run into the best and the brightest around here. Revis and Merriweather, yuh, shur, that's what I was talking about... not. What a frigging straw man argument that is.

Yeah, I'm with Pewsterbaby. At this point Oakland is realistically not going to make it to the playoffs. They would need to go 2-0, PLUS the Chiefs go 0-2, PLUS the Chargers go 0-2 or 1-1. That's just not going to happen.

I understand the confidence of playing the Colts outdoors in January, but at this point I'll trade a couple of draft spots to enjoy seeing them not make the playoffs.

In conjunction with that I'd go with Jags > Redskins; Colts out of playoffs trumps the draft pick.

I agree with Cowboys > Cardinals to get ahead of the Vikings, and to get ahead of the Raiders draft pick if Oakland does lose.

I'd say Packers > Giants to keep another NY team out of the playoffs. Packer fans are much better than NY fans, and I can't root for the team that won SB42.

As far as 49ers at Rams go, don't forget whoever wins the NFCW will pick later than Oakland regardless of record. They changed the rule a couple years ago after SD got in the playoffs with an 8-8 record, and then got an earlier pick than teams that didn't make the playoffs.

So in this case you might consider rooting for the 49ers, with the hope that they finish with a better record than the Vikings. The Rams play the 49ers and then the Seahawks so I don't know whether or not all three can finish with a better record than Oakland though.

Last edited:
Here is my take: There isn't a team in the NFL the NEP can't beat if NE brings its A game. There isn't a team in the NFL that NEP can roll over if NE comes out flat.

Jax can beat NE in the playoffs, just as the Colts can. And NE can beat the Colts just like they can beat Jags.

Colts don't scare me anymore than Jag. And KC doesn't scare me any less than the Chargers.

And Tom Brady was a #199 pick. The draft is a veritable crapshoot. You really don't know what you're getting, except talent, as measured by the draft combine and film from college games.

Yeah, I'm with Pewsterbaby. At this point KC is realistically not going to make it to the playoffs.

KC has TN and OAK at home. You think that they will drop both games?

But hey, it's a dang footaball board. it's not like I'm gonna run into the best and the brightest around here.

I agree with your argument, but why this?

I guess I don't identify with self edification on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots