PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who to root for....week 11 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Oakland or Pittsburgh?

You're way off. The Raiders losing games like this are the difference between 7-9 and 10-6. And that is a not a draft spot. That is the difference in 12 and 24, kind of a big deal.

I'm pulling for Pitt. Even if they makes the playoffs they'll be a wild card in the AFC as I think Balto wins the North, so any worry about them getting a bye over NE is IMO irrelevant.

Good thread. I lean in this direction.

I'll be rooting for Pitt as hard as that is to type.

I want a top 15 pick with the hope that we can turn that into an all-pro 3-4 DE for the next 10 years.

That's easy......Pittsburgh. I want the Oakland pick to be as valuable as possible. At this point, the Pats are in complete control of their playoff destiny and don't need any help from Oakland.

If the Pats game was any indication, Oakland's running game and front four are going to cause all kinds of problems for Pittsburgh. I think Oakland will win, but I'm pulling for Pitts. They're not a threat to us.

Do you guys think that McFadden and Co. will find success on the ground against the Steelers?

I'm debating who do I start on my fantasy football team? McFadden against Pittsburgh or Moreno agaist SD.

You're way off. The Raiders losing games like this are the difference between 7-9 and 10-6. And that is a not a draft spot. That is the difference in 12 and 24, kind of a big deal.

I'm pulling for Pitt. Even if they makes the playoffs they'll be a wild card in the AFC as I think Balto wins the North, so any worry about them getting a bye over NE is IMO irrelevant.

Way off? You realize that since 2001 we've never had less than the top record in the AFC-E right? Do you remember 2002? We were 9-7, and it was also long ago, so maybe you forgot, how about 2008 instead? Do you remember being the first 11-5 team since the 80's to not make the playoffs? That was only one and a half seasons ago. Surely you remember that.
Do we have a spot clinched right now? No? Hmm. The way you are talking it's almost as if we have it clinched. We have 3 ways to get in to the playoffs, win the division, or one of the two wildcards. The Jets are making it look like winning the division is not a "gimme" this year which means we need to keep our eyes out on the wildcard.
Maybe you guys don't understand how the wildcard works. It goes to the two non-division-winning teams in the conference with the best records. It doesn't go to who has the best draft picks. At this point we are guaranteed nothing and in the last decade, when we didn't win the division we ALWAYS, 100% missed getting in to the wildcard.

Also, just for more fun because you people fail so epicly:
Oakland currently is 5-4. There are 13 teams with a worse record at this point in time and 5 teams with the same record. Not to mention Oakland is tied for the top spot in their incredibly weak division and are also undefeated in their division (3-0). Of the teams with better records, (12 teams) 9 of them are only 1 game up on Oakland.
Please stop me when I get to the point that is making you people think that Oakland is somehow still a magical draft pick of the ages.

Also, if you 'bags are so excited about draft picks, why don't you root for the Pats to go 0-16 every year? We'd get the #1 pick which would, according to your logic, be better than making the post season.
I mean good lord, do you people watch the draft thinking "oh I hope this player plays real well so we can trade him for more draft picks in the future!!!" or do you think "man I hope this player helps us win a Super Bowl!"
Apply the same logic to this game.
Or, as always you can ask yourself WWBBD?

I think most people haven't totally thought this through.

The Patriots have to win their division or they are a #5 seed at best. It is really pretty irrelevant if they end up being a #5 seed or a #6 seed. Therefore if they don't win their division, tiebreakers probably won't mean much - unless the Patriots tank their remaining schedule and they need tiebreakers to even make the playoffs. :eek:

So, from my perspective, tie breakers will only really matter if they win the AFC East. But it's practically impossible for them to win the AFC East and pile up the losses. The Jets are either too lucky or too good to just start losing (still not sure which one truly applies) so the Patriots have to keep winning to win the AFC East. But they already have a 1-game edge on the Steelers and Ravens as well as owning the tiebreaker, so it's really unlikely that the Patriots will win the AFC East and lose enough games (and these other teams win enough games) for the Patriots not to be the higher seeded team.

In summary, nothing's certain but I wouldn't worry too much about how Pittsburgh or Baltimore does at this point. It's just not that likely to factor into the playoff positioning. If the Patriots don't beat the Jets in a few weeks, then they are almost certainly going to be playing for a wild card. And if they do beat the Jets, then they'll probably have to keep winning a bunch of games to win the AFC East and neither Baltimore nor Pittsburgh (nor Indianapolis if we win on Sunday) will be able to keep up.

Last edited:

I really gotta root for raiders in this, probably going to watch this game before the pats game is on. Would love to see the raiders pull off the upset. I wish we had someone else's pick, I kinda like this raiders team :(

Raiders for the win Alex

I kinda like this raiders team :(

That's a little bit like saying that you think your cousin is hot at a family reunion. Even if you think it, saying so usually isn't appropriate. ;)

That's a little bit like saying that you think your cousin is hot at a family reunion. Even if you think it, saying so usually isn't appropriate. ;)

Are adopted cousins okay? We have no biological connection (her dad married my aunt). And she is smoking.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I fail to see your thesis here:

Way off? You realize that since 2001 we've never had less than the top record in the AFC-E right? Do you remember 2002? We were 9-7, and it was also long ago, so maybe you forgot, how about 2008 instead? Do you remember being the first 11-5 team since the 80's to not make the playoffs? That was only one and a half seasons ago. Surely you remember that.

<snip>

Maybe you guys don't understand how the wildcard works. It goes to the two non-division-winning teams in the conference with the best records. It doesn't go to who has the best draft picks. At this point we are guaranteed nothing and in the last decade, when we didn't win the division we ALWAYS, 100% missed getting in to the wildcard.

How is this relevant to who wins Pitt/Oakland? Obviously we all want the Pats to keep winning and secure a #1 or #2 seed, but the Patriots future record is 0.00% dependent upon who wins the Pitt/Oakland game.

If you are arguing that we need Pitt to lose more so they can't be a threat to get a #1 or #2 seed, that makes more sense, but honestly the Raiders if they win are just as much of a threat to get there at this point as both will be 6-4, only Raiders are in a weaker division and we don't own the tie-breaker vs. them.

So by your own condescending logic, we should actually be pulling for Pitt.

Last edited:

I'll be rooting for the meteor. :D

Well good day today ...

We won and the Raider lost.

Bills won and now Carolina has the 33rd pick to themselves.

Bad part here is that there are 3 tow win teams in Bills, Lions and Bengals competing for #33.

Well good day today ...

We won and the Raider lost.

Bills won and now Carolina has the 33rd pick to themselves.

Bad part here is that there are 3 tow win teams in Bills, Lions and Bengals competing for #33.

Don't forget to include the Vikings in the discussion (#3). The way thier season is going we will be picking very early in the third.

√√√√√√√√√√ - Pats 31, Colts 28
√ - Pats win
√ - Colts lose: √ for AFC playoff standings

↓ - Jets 30, Texans 27
↓ - Jets win: division & conference standings
? - Texans lose: √ for AFC standings; ↓ for draft rankings vs Oak

? - Bears 16, Dolphins 0
√ - Bears win: √ for draft rankings
? - Dolphins lose: √ for div & AFC standings; ↓ for draft rankings

? - Bills 49, Bengals 31
√ - Bills win: √ for draft rankings
↓ - Bengals lose: ↓ for draft rankings