Who To Root For in NFL Week One

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Who To Root For in NFL Week One
By: John Morgan

The Patriots don't play until Monday night, so Pats fans will have plenty of opportunity to view other games until then. With that in mind, here is a guide as to what teams Pats fans should be rooting for - or to be more precise, which teams Pats fans sho...

I don't know if I should feel honored or pissed that John Morgan has decided to take the idea I had for a weekly post on Patsfan.com last year into a blog article this year. But one thing is certain it totally confirms what I have known for a long time...That for the most part nobody in NE sports media community has ever had an original idea, but simply come to this board for story ideas clean up the spelling and grammar and publish it as their own original idea with no attribution to where the idea came from.

New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

Hoodie my man. Just post your EXCELLENT weekly Rooting column here this week. Then the nonsense will stop. Looking forward to reading you and telling you where you're wrong. :)

copycat.jpg

Atlanta at Chicago, 1:00 PM
Falcons (-3); o/u 40½
I suppose we should root for Foxboro South, the team with Scott Pioli and Matt Ryan. Interesting side note: though they will not be on the field at the same time, best friends and former Patriot starting safeties James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather will be facing each other for the first time in their NFL careers.

I didn't know Pioli was in Atlanta? This guy has some good info!:confused:

Hoodie my man. Just post your EXCELLENT weekly Rooting column here this week. Then the nonsense will stop. Looking forward to reading you and telling you where you're wrong. :)

Nah. I had no problem adding my thoughts to this thread.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...04606-what-games-interest-you-week-page3.html

But it would have been nice if John Morgan had at minimum attribute this story idea to something that was on the forum last year.

It would also be nice if he could get his facts straight regarding where Scott Polio is the GM, Scott is one of my reasons for rooting for KC over Bills has nothing to due with the Bears /Falcons game.

Atlanta at Chicago, 1:00 PM
Falcons (-3); o/u 40½
I suppose we should root for Foxboro South, the team with Scott Pioli and Matt Ryan. Interesting side note: though they will not be on the field at the same time, best friends and former Patriot starting safeties James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather will be facing each other for the first time in their NFL careers.

I didn't know Pioli was in Atlanta? This guy has some good info!:confused:

Hawks and Chiefs both have feathers and both teams are for places in the US so it's easy to confuse the two.

I don't know if I should feel honored or pissed that John Morgan has decided to take the idea I had for a weekly post on Patsfan.com last year into a blog article this year. But one thing is certain it totally confirms what I have known for a long time...That for the most part nobody in NE sports media community has ever had an original idea, but simply come to this board for story ideas clean up the spelling and grammar and publish it as their own original idea with no attribution to where the idea came from.

I would be pissed if I were you. Isnt there a sticky on the board about how you can't quote from somewhere else without giving proper attribution? And yet, they take your idea and dont even give you any credit?
I come on this board frequently (rarely post, tho) and especially late in the year, your "who to root for" is usually a thread I check out. When I came in today, I saw the thread and saw it was from patsfan.com and I thought...whoa, Grey Hoodie got a new gig! No lie, I thouhgt, geez, I wonder if he gets paid to do that...
And yet, its a total rip off and not a very good one at that....I didnt click on it out of principle, but...Pioli in Atlanta???
I hope you do yours anyway...I will accept no substitute.

I would be pissed if I were you. Isnt there a sticky on the board about how you can't quote from somewhere else without giving proper attribution? And yet, they take your idea and dont even give you any credit?
I come on this board frequently (rarely post, tho) and especially late in the year, your "who to root for" is usually a thread I check out. When I came in today, I saw the thread and saw it was from patsfan.com and I thought...whoa, Grey Hoodie got a new gig! No lie, I thouhgt, geez, I wonder if he gets paid to do that...
And yet, its a total rip off and not a very good one at that....I didnt click on it out of principle, but...Pioli in Atlanta???
I hope you do yours anyway...I will accept no substitute.
Exactly my thoughts. The hoodies weekly threads were always a must read for me as a regular lurker here. If I were you I'd be pissed.

Last edited:
Copyright infringement refers to copying and pasting large portions, if not an entire article. Since you hadn't written a 'who to root for in week one' commentary, how exactly is that copyright infringement?

If you're referring to the idea, then go out and copyright it with the US patent office. There are only X number of topics that can be talked about. I don't see people getting pissed off because there is more than one weekly 'keys to the game' thread, roster predictions, or five different ways to discuss the offensive line, pass rush or safeties.

Here is what I do think: if some other long-time forum member started a 'who to root for' thread rather than one of the site's bloggers then there not only would not be this reaction, you'd probably be thanking him for getting the ball rolling. In my opinion far too many of the long time forum members look down their noses at anyone that doesn't have some requisite number of posts or a certain join date. In addition the forum as a whole for some reason has a disdain for anyone and everyone who writes a blog here - even Ian for god's sake!

My advice is to lighten up ... take it as a compliment and post your own 'who to root for' right here in this thread. Generally speaking all of the writers here do a very good job, taking a lot of time out of there day to do what they do - with no thanks from any of us. I seriously doubt that that any of them are making much of any money from their columns, so while I am sure they may be very flattered by lumping them in with the paid columnists from the mainstream media, how about cutting them a bit of slack if they have an occasional typo or grammatical error?

Copyright infringement refers to copying and pasting large portions, if not an entire article. Since you hadn't written a 'who to root for in week one' commentary, how exactly is that copyright infringement?

I didn't claim copyright infringement, so there is no reason to make a strawman argument of why it is not copyright infringement.

I did claim the blog was yet another example (there are plenty of others as well) of the NE sports media taking ideas that originated on this board by various posters and then using that as a story idea and passing it off as an original thought.

There is a difference between plagiarism and copyright infringement. There is some overlap but they are not the same.

Last edited:
As long as the Jets lose and the Patriots win it is a good week. I love the fact that there is only 1 Sunday at 1 game until December, this means i get to sleep in.

I didn't claim copyright infringement, so there is no reason to make a strawman argument of why it is not copyright infringement.

I did claim the blog was yet another example (there are plenty of others as well) of the NE sports media taking ideas that originated on this board by various posters and then using that as a story idea and passing it off as an original thought.

There is a difference between plagiarism and copyright infringement. There is some overlap but they are not the same.

No, you did not; Seacoast Fan did. Others such as PatriotsfaninPA implied it; I was replying in general to all of commenters on this thread; my apologies for not being more clear.

I'm not exactly sure that I would characterize the people that write here as part of 'the NE sports media'; they're pretty much no different than the people who write on this message board. They don't get published to a massive audience in the Globe, Herald, etc., and I'm pretty sure they don't get paid. Just like you me, and everyone else here they have an unpaid opinion which they type on the keyboard to a much smaller audience.

Personally I think you should have commented directly and privately to the writer, but that's just how I would have handled it. I will stand by the rest of my commentary, specifically on how people here as a whole treat them in comparison to how they treat other forum members who offer their opinions on the message board.

It's not copyright infringement, it's just being a douche.

Come on, stop whining. Guess what? I've posted threads here and then seen someone write something exactly the same thing in the media. I'm just not so thin skinned to think that he stole my idea. Or, that I'm so bright that I'm the only one who can think of something exactly the same as others.

If you are upset about this and really feel that Mr. Morgan plagiarize your thread, then PM Ian about it. Mr Morgan articles are here with Ian's permission which he gives or can take away.

Why do you want to whine on the open forum when no one can do anything about it?

Last edited:
TheGodInAGreyHoodie, I'm calling you out!

What happened to your who to root for threads?

I looked forward to them every week :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey