Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who To Root For- Divisional Round

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Ice_Ice_Brady, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 2 / -1

Sorry for stealing this thread title, which seems to be used a lot, but no one has started it yet, so here we go. In the NFC, you really have to think big picture.

Packers at Falcons

Yes, the Packers are the bigger threat to the Patriots. They have a great defense that is athletic and can cover quicker players pretty well. They have already faced the Patriots this year and gave them a run for their money. Call the '01 Patriots and '07 Giants if you don't think that December effort will inspire confidence to knock them off. However, it is still in the best interest of the Pats to root for the Packers, because...

Seahawks at Bears

...the Bears matchup very well with the Packers, especially at Soldier Field. The Bears will likely beat the Seahawks tomorrow, giving them a decent chance to win the NFC. The Seahawks have little chance to win the conference, so it is better for the Pats, statistically, if the Bears win. Meanwhile, the Pats matchup extremely well with Chicago, as that snowstorm annihilation was no fluke at all.

Here's the way I see the Pats chances against the NFC teams.

1. Bears- Best chance to win in a SB matchup.
    2. Seahawks- Do you really want to play a 7-9 team on a Cinderella run?
    3. Falcons- Tough team; I would like the Pats chances against them, but not enough to wish for it.
    4. Packers- Not sure how Pats-Packers Super Bowl would be decided by more than a touchdown, and more likely a field goal.

Ravens at Steelers

Why do the Ravens seem to give the Patriots more problems than the Steelers? They are the better team in the AFC North. The Ravens can't beat the Steelers because Roethlisberger makes timely plays down the stretch, while Flacco does not. In addition, the Steelers are a team that gets by on its stars; the Ravens have a ton of athletic players all over the place that give you fits. Naturally, gameplanning against the Steelers is easier. On offense, you need to neutralize Polamalu and Harrison. On defense, you need to keep Roethlisberger in the pocket and take away the deep pass. Now, gameplanning against Baltimore? Haloti Ngata, for one, makes this a different beast. On offense, Ray Rice can create some major problems (Mendenhall's style runs right into the Patriots' strengths.)

Supposing the Patriots beat the Jets, here is how I'd put point spreads in the AFCCG.

Steelers (+6.5) at Patriots
    Ravens (+3.5) at Patriots
  2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico On the Roster

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -2

No Jersey Selected

So ... nothing about draft picks? :D
  3. PatriotsInGA

PatriotsInGA Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

Assuming the Pats can make it to Dallas, we should be rooting against the Pack. No matter how favorable a matchup may seem, its the playoffs. Favorable match-ups mean nothing, the Saints found out last week. Oh and you forgot to write that we should be rooting for the Pats over the Jets (unless we want a better draft pick :D)
  4. BoTown

BoTown Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

If the Packers didn't lose Ryant Grant and Jermichael Finley to injury earlier this season, odds are they would have the best record in the NFC, possibly even the NFL. They use James Jones extensively in place of Finley, and have rediscovered their run game with James Starks. That's to go with one of the very best defenses around. I cannot in good faith root for them to slither further down the bracket with the chance to play against our Pats. I still think the Pats would beat them, but I'd feel a lot more concerned about our chances. The Falcons are tough in their own right, but I consider them the lesser of two evils. That is essentially the NFCCG as I don't see either team between the Bears and Seahawks getting past the winner of Falcons and Packers.
  5. borg

borg On the Roster

Ratings:
    +261 / 18 / -17

I'm rooting for Pitt. Big Ben doesn't know the playbook, just waits for a WR to get open. The Pats will get to him no problem.
  6. Danny_Woodcawk

Danny_Woodcawk Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

hopefully the rat birds win so the pats can get revenge for their trash talking and humiliating defeat last season
  7. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,701 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Wait! We lose to the Jets, then we get better draft picks? Who knew?

Let me think on it. I'll give you my answer in the morning.
  8. in 12 we trust

in 12 we trust Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bears ( XX ) or Packers ( XXXI )

....the Patriots owe both of them a Super Bowl loss !
  9. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hate the Ravens, second to the Jets, I tolerate the Steelers, I'd like to see Atlanta win, and Da Bears take Seattle,
    Ultimatley I'd like to see a Patriots/Falcons Super Bowl,
  10. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +693 / 6 / -2

#95 Jersey

Da Bears (and Refrigerator Perry) ruined a very fine Super Bowl party I held in Saugus back in 1986. I say bring on the Bears. Time for some payback!
  11. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,701 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Pats took the lead. Greatest SB comeback victory evah! :confused:e
  12. bostonia3333

bostonia3333 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -2

definitely rooting for Chicago tomorrow, they're a tolerable team(fans and media) and only a moderately difficult team to beat....they're our only hope of taking out GB.

I wouldn't want to play Seattle either, just the thought of losing to a 7-9 Cinderalla is too much to take---I hate Gonzaga vs Duke story lines, because the unthinkable always seems to happen. Plus Pete Carroll is one of the most annoying people on the face of this earth.

We should have played Chicago in the freebie SB in 2006, hopefully we'll see them again next month.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  13. seven

seven Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

14. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

Huh? I think you're overestimating the Pack. How about the Patriots take them out themselves like they did earlier this season? The Pats don't need to rely on anyone to do any work for them. They just need to worry about their own games.

Step 1. Beat the Jets
    Step 2. Beat the Steelers
    Step 3. Win the Superbowl

That's the roadmap.
  15. seven

seven Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Atlanta's soft sched
    compiled week 14

9 @ PIT 15
    ARI 7 @ 41
    27 @ NO 24 (ot) NO misses Ez FG to win in reg.
    SF 14 @ 16
    20 @ CLE 10
    17 @ PHI 31
    CIN 32 @39
    TB 21 @ 27
    BAL 21 @ 26
    34 @ STL 17
    GB 17 @ 20
    28 @ TB 24
    31 @CAR 10
    @ SEA
    NO @
    CAR @

2 quality wins, the rest?
  16. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

While I think the Patriots have a better chance against the Steelers, I was rooting for the Ravens today because I do not want to see Rapistburger get #3. While I think we will beat them, I just wanted him out asap to remove any possibility.

I think the Packers are the best team in the NFC and have for a while. Finally the whole world is jumping on the bandwagon. And while I think they would give the Patriots the toughest battle, I can't help but root for Aaron Rodgers. Anyone who had to sit behind Brett Favre has my eternal empathy. Plus the guy is just a great QB, I love watching him play.

I still think the Pats beat the Packers in a close and exciting game. They are a worthy adversary.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.