PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who To Root For- Divisional Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for stealing this thread title, which seems to be used a lot, but no one has started it yet, so here we go. In the NFC, you really have to think big picture.

Packers at Falcons

Yes, the Packers are the bigger threat to the Patriots. They have a great defense that is athletic and can cover quicker players pretty well. They have already faced the Patriots this year and gave them a run for their money. Call the '01 Patriots and '07 Giants if you don't think that December effort will inspire confidence to knock them off. However, it is still in the best interest of the Pats to root for the Packers, because...

Seahawks at Bears

...the Bears matchup very well with the Packers, especially at Soldier Field. The Bears will likely beat the Seahawks tomorrow, giving them a decent chance to win the NFC. The Seahawks have little chance to win the conference, so it is better for the Pats, statistically, if the Bears win. Meanwhile, the Pats matchup extremely well with Chicago, as that snowstorm annihilation was no fluke at all.

Here's the way I see the Pats chances against the NFC teams.

1. Bears- Best chance to win in a SB matchup.
2. Seahawks- Do you really want to play a 7-9 team on a Cinderella run?
3. Falcons- Tough team; I would like the Pats chances against them, but not enough to wish for it.
4. Packers- Not sure how Pats-Packers Super Bowl would be decided by more than a touchdown, and more likely a field goal.

Ravens at Steelers

Why do the Ravens seem to give the Patriots more problems than the Steelers? They are the better team in the AFC North. The Ravens can't beat the Steelers because Roethlisberger makes timely plays down the stretch, while Flacco does not. In addition, the Steelers are a team that gets by on its stars; the Ravens have a ton of athletic players all over the place that give you fits. Naturally, gameplanning against the Steelers is easier. On offense, you need to neutralize Polamalu and Harrison. On defense, you need to keep Roethlisberger in the pocket and take away the deep pass. Now, gameplanning against Baltimore? Haloti Ngata, for one, makes this a different beast. On offense, Ray Rice can create some major problems (Mendenhall's style runs right into the Patriots' strengths.)

Supposing the Patriots beat the Jets, here is how I'd put point spreads in the AFCCG.

Steelers (+6.5) at Patriots
Ravens (+3.5) at Patriots

So ... nothing about draft picks? :D

Assuming the Pats can make it to Dallas, we should be rooting against the Pack. No matter how favorable a matchup may seem, its the playoffs. Favorable match-ups mean nothing, the Saints found out last week. Oh and you forgot to write that we should be rooting for the Pats over the Jets (unless we want a better draft pick :D)

If the Packers didn't lose Ryant Grant and Jermichael Finley to injury earlier this season, odds are they would have the best record in the NFC, possibly even the NFL. They use James Jones extensively in place of Finley, and have rediscovered their run game with James Starks. That's to go with one of the very best defenses around. I cannot in good faith root for them to slither further down the bracket with the chance to play against our Pats. I still think the Pats would beat them, but I'd feel a lot more concerned about our chances. The Falcons are tough in their own right, but I consider them the lesser of two evils. That is essentially the NFCCG as I don't see either team between the Bears and Seahawks getting past the winner of Falcons and Packers.

I'm rooting for Pitt. Big Ben doesn't know the playbook, just waits for a WR to get open. The Pats will get to him no problem.

hopefully the rat birds win so the pats can get revenge for their trash talking and humiliating defeat last season

Assuming the Pats can make it to Dallas, we should be rooting against the Pack. No matter how favorable a matchup may seem, its the playoffs. Favorable match-ups mean nothing, the Saints found out last week. Oh and you forgot to write that we should be rooting for the Pats over the Jets (unless we want a better draft pick :D)

Wait! We lose to the Jets, then we get better draft picks? Who knew?

Let me think on it. I'll give you my answer in the morning.

Bears ( XX ) or Packers ( XXXI )

....the Patriots owe both of them a Super Bowl loss !

I hate the Ravens, second to the Jets, I tolerate the Steelers, I'd like to see Atlanta win, and Da Bears take Seattle,
Ultimatley I'd like to see a Patriots/Falcons Super Bowl,

Da Bears (and Refrigerator Perry) ruined a very fine Super Bowl party I held in Saugus back in 1986. I say bring on the Bears. Time for some payback!

Da Bears (and Refrigerator Perry) ruined a very fine Super Bowl party I held in Saugus back in 1986. I say bring on the Bears. Time for some payback!

Pats took the lead. Greatest SB comeback victory evah! :confused:e

definitely rooting for Chicago tomorrow, they're a tolerable team(fans and media) and only a moderately difficult team to beat....they're our only hope of taking out GB.

I wouldn't want to play Seattle either, just the thought of losing to a 7-9 Cinderalla is too much to take---I hate Gonzaga vs Duke story lines, because the unthinkable always seems to happen. Plus Pete Carroll is one of the most annoying people on the face of this earth.

We should have played Chicago in the freebie SB in 2006, hopefully we'll see them again next month.

Last edited:
definitely rooting for Chicago tomorrow, they're a tolerable team(fans and media) and only a moderately difficult team to beat....they're our only hope of taking out GB.

Huh? I think you're overestimating the Pack. How about the Patriots take them out themselves like they did earlier this season? The Pats don't need to rely on anyone to do any work for them. They just need to worry about their own games.

Step 1. Beat the Jets
Step 2. Beat the Steelers
Step 3. Win the Superbowl

That's the roadmap.

Atlanta's soft sched
compiled week 14

9 @ PIT 15
ARI 7 @ 41
27 @ NO 24 (ot) NO misses Ez FG to win in reg.
SF 14 @ 16
20 @ CLE 10
17 @ PHI 31
CIN 32 @39
TB 21 @ 27
BAL 21 @ 26
34 @ STL 17
GB 17 @ 20
28 @ TB 24
31 @CAR 10
@ SEA
NO @
CAR @

2 quality wins, the rest?

While I think the Patriots have a better chance against the Steelers, I was rooting for the Ravens today because I do not want to see Rapistburger get #3. While I think we will beat them, I just wanted him out asap to remove any possibility.

I think the Packers are the best team in the NFC and have for a while. Finally the whole world is jumping on the bandwagon. And while I think they would give the Patriots the toughest battle, I can't help but root for Aaron Rodgers. Anyone who had to sit behind Brett Favre has my eternal empathy. Plus the guy is just a great QB, I love watching him play.

I still think the Pats beat the Packers in a close and exciting game. They are a worthy adversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back