Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who Takes Bruschi's Reps When He Is Out?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +574 / 44 / -19

Most here believe that Bruschi will take a lesser role this year with Mayo and Guyton getting the vast majority of reps at ILB. No matter how much we are expecting from Bruschi, it seems almost delusional to believe that he will be a contributer for 19 games. Of all the positions on the squad except QB, his ILB positions seems most vulnerable to injury.

Who are your candidates to take Bruschi's reps if he is out for a game or two or three?

2. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,933 / 9 / -6

I think Lenon makes the final 53 and gets significant playing time if Bruschi is out. If Bruschi has anything more than a minor injury that keeps him out for a game or 2 I could see Junior Seau coming back for half a season.

3. mgteich

Ratings:
    +574 / 44 / -19

Isn't Lenon a better choice than Seau, even if he is currently injured?

4. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Adam Seward ;)

5. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +274 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Guyton and Mayo would have to do more.

The fact that there isn't anyone to take take Bruschi's role is why I feel his roster spot is safe. Simply put he is our 3rd best ILB at least until Lennon proves something. The only other answer I see is Seau.

Guyton and Mayo will likely have increased reps and do more pushing Bruschi further to the back burner but until there is a 3rd guy better than Bru at ILB he will be here.

6. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,933 / 9 / -6

Goodness, how come we haven't already signed him? He's been a FA for over 24 hours now, so he should have cleared waivers.

7. patfanken

patfanken Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,192 / 20 / -11

#91 Jersey

That's the thing, the most likely player to replace Bruschi, isn't a LB, its a DB. When the Pats go to 5+ DBs which will probably be 6 out of every 10 plays, the SILB is likely to be the guy who goes out for the DB.

WHOEVER plays that position will likely only be on the field 40-50% of the time REGARDLESS of how he is playing.

Right now, I can see a Mayo/Guyton pairing, with Bruschi playing on first down only.

As it is, It is very likely that the Pats will be in some form of a 4 man front on passing downs eliminating the need of a 4th LB

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  8. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

BB would consider going more to a 4-3 look. You could keep Mayo out there all 3 downs, or bring in Guyton for a breather.

9. mgteich

Ratings:
    +574 / 44 / -19

Let me try to frame the question better.

A) Let us presume that Bruschi were unavailable to play other than perhaps special teams. I think that we need to prepare for that contingency.

B) We would then have two ILBs on the roster: Mayo and Guyton.

C) We have four OLBs: Thomas, Banta-Cain, Woods, and Burgess.

D) BJGE or the 4th OT has a roster spot to start the season.

E) So far, none of the following yet has a roster spot: Crable, Alexander, Lenon, Ninkovitch, Tank Williams, Slater, Ventrone, Nunn.

F) One or both of the roster spots could come from the rosters of other teams.

================================================
    Q1) WHO DO YOU GIVE THE LAST TWO ROSTER SPOTS TO AND WHY?
    Q2) WHAT ARE THE CRITICAL CONSIDERATIONS?

As a reference point, Reiss chooses Alexander and Slater.

10. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Nobody?

I think the better question to ask is who would take the reps if both Mayo and Bruschi - if he's even on the roster (Reiss was the latest to say he has an uphill battle; I mentioned this last week) - are out. If just Bruschi is out, life continues normally...

11. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +47 / 15 / -7

#12 Jersey

I posted this in the 'Three and Out' thread but it's really more pertinent here so please allow me to drop it in...

Alexander might be younger, and he's obviously faster, but the idea of Alexander as a true backup ILB should be a sobering thought to any Patsfan. He is just awful when it comes to reading a play and reacting to the spot, awful. On STs, Alexander can point in one direction and run like a maniac, and that has little to do with being a productive down to down player outside of displaying passion and effort. But those two qualities cannot be confused with tools needed to be an ILB with impact.

Bruschi might be done, that's hard to argue against, but if Eric Alexander makes the team as the primary backup to Guyton, and, godforbid, Mayo, then this team is in trouble on D.

12. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +274 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I go with Slater ( I have made it clear how good a STer I think he is in many threads)

and

Lennon because I want a little more depth at LB and I the thought of Alexander being a heart beat away from the defense scares me.

13. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Eric Alexander.

14. satz

satz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Alexander .
    I do not think Guyton can play the 1st and 2nd down bash my head with a gaurd role.

Last preseason game with guyton and mayo in the middle , benson was able to run between the tackles . IN such closed quaters guyton`s speed and range is useless.A reason we switched to 4-3 to stop the run by matching mass our front 7 with the OL .

Mayo + Guyton + Vince = 825 LB of muscle against
    Center + 2 gaurds = 950 LB of muscle on the oline.

even though we slam sanders he was in on most of these plays making tackles to stop the run. no matter what one says a 240 LB ILB on a 310 LB gaurd in very limited space when the ILB cannot use his speed is not going to work,

we truly do not have a DE to ILB like bru. He plays big as he was a DE all his life and used to playing on the LOS.We are asking our ILB who has not played on LOS to learn to Play on the LOS against gaurds on 1st and 2nd down. a reason i am suprised we never picked up a Small DT to develop in this role.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  15. Synovia

Synovia In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As opposed to Bruschi, who makes the right read, but can't move fast enough to get there?

Honestly, I think Bruschi missing a big chunk of time might help the team.

16. Synovia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Have you missed the last 15 years of passing based NFL offense? That role doesn't exist before.

Teams play nickle on first down about 50% of the time.

17. satz

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I did not miss anything . Did you miss the last preseason game when we opened in 3-4 where a guard was behind the LOS with guyton and mayo being pushed around ? .Ask benson how the guy tackling him in the middle was sanders and not the ILB . The gaurds had some success sealing gaps
    from the ILB. We switched to 4-3 once benson was picking up a good yardage against our Base 3-4.

18. Synovia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its preseason. They don't game plan. Guyton is BIGGER than Bruschi.

19. satz

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think we over value weight a bit. Bru was a DE in college and here playing ILB is used to taking on gaurds all his life. In his book he says he played DE in school too. Now compare this to Guyton who has played OLB in a 4-3 behind the LOS. I am not saying he cannot play but do making a point that it will take a time more than 1 off season to develop skills and ablity to shed block like a DE.

The question was who will play bru role today!

satz

20. Synovia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bru doesn't have a role anymore. Hes a backup. Guyton and Mayo are the starters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.