PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who subscribes to the Mike Felger theory that Branch >> Moss??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzibit23

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I've been listening to Felger/Massoriti at work and Felger is hellbent on pushing this theory that Deion Branch was a tougher receiver to shutdown than Randy Moss, and that Moss can't perform in big games and against physical receivers. He is also suggesting that the offense was better with Deion Branch as the #1 WR, stats be dammed. His rationale is that all you need to shutdown Moss is jam him at the line, and that the whole "safety help" argument is irrelevant because all good receivers, including Branch, always face safety help and still produce.

There are many holes in his reasoning, beginning with the simple fact that Randy Moss wouldn't have 142 career TDs, second all time, if he was easy to shutdown. Furthermore, since coming to NE, he is statistically several times more productive than Branch was on his best years, so if being shutdown is equated to performance, Branch was an easier guy to shutdown. Lastly, the offense as a whole has been arguably the best offense in football with Brady and Moss, and to suggest they had a better offense in 2004 simply because they won the SB is akin to Yankee fans who, up until this year, thought the offense and team were better with Scott Brosius.

Now, when I heard his reasoning I found it irrational and almost an unwillingness on his part to embrace Moss, he hated the trade from the beginning and was predicting Moss would pull a TO. But the reason why I'm starting this thread is because he has actually been getting support by callers and hasn't been challenged on any of his assumptions ragarding Branch/Moss, so it made me wonder what percentage of the Pats fan base actually suscribes to this theory. This is a typical zero sum game argument when determining championship teams, i.e. 2004 offense was better because they won the SB, even though the difference in those championship runs was ALWAYS the defense's ability to get key stops, something that hasn't been the case since 2005.

Felger is a ****** without an excuse for his affliction, he spews garbage to get folks riled up for ratings, usually a bit out there, but almost always confrontational..
Assarotti is his lap dog, and has become an idiot as well, and for the same reason I would think.

They'd sell their Mom for ratings

But the reason why I'm starting this thread is because he has actually been getting support by callers and hasn't been challenged on any of his assumptions ragarding Branch/Moss, so it made me wonder what percentage of the Pats fan base actually suscribes to this theory

The callers are shouting at the rain b/c those teams w/ Branch won SB and Moss' fingers are w/o jewlery and pinhead Felger is playing to that crowd.

Branch never commanded the level of attention that Moss gets on a weekly basis. Maybe a couple weeks here and there but it's not even close. IMO that is the end-all-be-all counter-arguement.

IMO you put Moss on the 01-04 teams and he still performs at a statistically high-level. Do they win a SB? That is an unanswerable question.

Branch was a very good receiver in the Pats' offense who also had some great postseason moments against some lesser CBs...Matt Ware, DeShea Townsend and Ricky Manning Jr. say "hi". I applaud the Pats, Brady and Branch for creating and executing against such mismatches, but Branch wasn't the recipient of regular jams at the LOS by a guy like Darell Revis or always facing double-coverage.

Regards,
Chris

...But the reason why I'm starting this thread is because he has actually been getting support by callers and hasn't been challenged on any of his assumptions ragarding Branch/Moss, so it made me wonder what percentage of the Pats fan base actually suscribes to this theory. This is a typical zero sum game argument when determining championship teams, i.e. 2004 offense was better because they won the SB, even though the difference in those championship runs was ALWAYS the defense's ability to get key stops, something that hasn't been the case since 2005.

Just think about the sort of listener that would gravitate towards Felger as a host and feel strongly enough about the topic to call the show. It really does explain it all.

One of Felger's former contentions used to be that Branch couldn't beat a double team. Ever. Of course he's been too damaged since to assess if that remains the case. Since their cost is a wash, I'd say Felger is an idiot. I wish Moss could still consistently battle for the ball, but age and nagging injury (back) has taken a toll. That said, he straps 'em on as needed and goes over the middle.

Felger is like Borges in many respects. He will abandon opposition for a time with an eye on revisiting it to say I told you so. As he did with Dillon. Although in both cases his contention was when the going got tough and there were losses involved each would return to form. That never happened. Dillon continued to play hard and was never a problem, he just wore out. Moss eventually will too but he remains a team player to date so...

Felger is the guy who wants you to avoid the bad guy until he wants you to sign him to prove money is no object. He's absolutely ADHD to boot. Bored when things are good, berserk when they are not.

Ignore him is the best resort. He's on his desperate mission for sweeps ratings so he will now persue whatever tack it takes to light up those phones.

Branch was a pretty good WR. Moss will go down in history as one of the top 2 or 3 WRs of all time. Anyone who even entertains the thought of them being comparable is an idiot.

Deion had some big games for us, but he was even more fragile and less physical than Moss, not to mention not even close to the 2nd best receiver ever, which is what Moss is.

This is a completely ridiculous contention by Felger, no point even getting into this.

Branch was a pretty good WR. Moss will go down in history as one of the top 2 or 3 WRs of all time. Anyone who even entertains the thought of them being comparable is an idiot.

Great Point. People forget about the perception of living in the now. In 20 years, will see we had a top 3 all time qb and top 3 all time wr as a duo. :eek:

it is sad to think Branch was our best receiver during the dynasty era........

Branch is a joke...... not even top WR material. Imagine if Brady had a Moss type then?

I have honestly been thinking this myself for a while. I don't think that Branch could ever really be considered better than Moss, but I think they are a lot closer to each other in terms of value to the Patriots than most people would think. There are players whose value to the team is far greater than their value as an individual player, Branch was one of those.

"Branch is better than Moss" just seems like sensationalist drivel to try to stir up controversy or discussion. A better statement would be something like "The Patriots would be better off with Branch as their #1 receiver instead of Moss".

Its easy to shut Branch down just breathe on him and he'll blow out an ankle

it is sad to think Branch was our best receiver during the dynasty era........

Branch is a joke...... not even top WR material. Imagine if Brady had a Moss type then?

Branch was solid, but not great. Mossman everyday any day:)

"Branch is better than Moss" just seems like sensationalist drivel to try to stir up controversy or discussion. A better statement would be something like "The Patriots would be better off with Branch as their #1 receiver instead of Moss".

I think you may have something there! Unfortunately that something is a crack pipe. Our offense is not the problem our defense is(though i have lots of hope for the future) I think there are thirty one teams in the league that wish we still had Branch and not Moss.

I have honestly been thinking this myself for a while. I don't think that Branch could ever really be considered better than Moss, but I think they are a lot closer to each other in terms of value to the Patriots than most people would think. There are players whose value to the team is far greater than their value as an individual player, Branch was one of those.

2007 never happened, then?

Felger is a contrarian and not a fan of Moss. Branch is his binky. It is not surprising he would say that.

At least he isn't shutting down callers or yelling over them for disagreeing. Win some, lose some.

BTW, Felger is talking about Branch stepping up in big games, not as an overall receiver. He does make a few valid points there.

Last edited:
Felger is a contrarian and not a fan of Moss. Branch is his binky. It is not surprising he would say that.

At least he isn't shutting down callers or yelling over them for disagreeing. Win some, lose some.

:confused:

Felger is yelling over his guest, for even the mildest of disagreements.

:confused:

Felger is yelling over his guest, for even the mildest of disagreements.

Huh?!? Are you sure you aren't listening to the Big Show? Even when I listen to 98.5 they are yelling so loud on WEEI, that I can hear them.

Felger's biggest problem most of the time is that he backs down to his guest most of the time.

Last edited:
Huh?!? Are you sure you aren't listening to the Big Show? Even when I listen to 98.5 they are yelling so loud on WEEI, that I can hear them.

I'm listening to Felger interviewing Gasper.

I'm listening to Felger interviewing Gasper.

I missed most of the interview because of work, but if he is it is a rare occassion. Felger rarely yells over anyone especially guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots