Who Steps in to replace Seymour at DE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I assume it will be Jarvis Green, no?

This poses another problem. Green wants to go back to play for the Saints after this season.

We've gotten younger at defense real fast. I think getting rid of seymour is probably the right move given that he probably wouldn't sign with the team. But do we have enough depth up front?

I assume it will be Jarvis Green, no?

This poses another problem. Green wants to go back to play for the Saints after this season.

We've gotten younger at defense real fast. I think getting rid of seymour is probably the right move given that he probably wouldn't sign with the team. But do we have enough depth up front?

Jarvis is getting real good money for a back-up......in a 4-3 set,with Green at RDE,I think he will be VERY happy.His sacks will go up and he can play all 3 downs.

Green, with his speed and ability to stunt, is pretty scary against all but the best left tackles in the NFL.

A couple of years ago Green more than held his own replacing Seymour when he got hurt.

Maybe BB liked what he saw in Myron Pryor?

I think Green can take the place of Seymour. On a side note, do you think Seymour was one of the Patriots Hobbs was talking about?

going to 4-3 D

BB will bring in Kevin Carter :D

A couple of years ago Green more than held his own replacing Seymour when he got hurt.

How did he more than hold his own? His side of the DL went from by far the hardest to run on (under Seymour) to by far the easiest. Jarvis rushes the passer pretty well, but he's absolutely a liability against the run.

They'll also use Burgess and TBC there on certain plays, I'm sure.

going to 4-3 D

BB will bring in Kevin Carter :D

:yeahthat: Not so much the Carter deal (though it may happen), but 4-3 will certainly be our base package and we have more then enough to pull it off with the guys we have. TBC and Burgess can move up front to set the edge. Particularly with the quickness for Pryor and Brace have fit into the scheme.

Last edited:
They used a rotation on passing downs a lot at the end of last year. Seemed Wright, LeKevin, Green, were all getting a ton more playing time than I can remember rotation guys getting in previous years. I'd guess a few guys are expected to step up.

Will Darryl Richard be brought back?

I think some of you are forgetting that BB preaches situational football. Who will replace Seymour? That depends on the situation. We have a bunch of guys with different skill sets and BB will use each of them in the situations that fit their respective strengths.

1. BB may well bring in Kevin Carter, who would be more than adequate as a 3-4 DE.

2. Barring that, in the Pats' traditional 3-4 scheme Jarvis Green would play LDE, which he has done a fair job of previously.

3. Regardless, we will see a lot of 4-3 defense, with Wilfork + another DT (I think mainly Ron Brace, though Wright and Pryor could both see time) with Ty Warren at RDE and Derrick Burgess at LDE. Thomas, Mayo and Guyton would be the LBs. If Burgess gets more comfortable playing LB then he could alternate playing LDE with standing up and playing 3-4 OLB, with Mayo and Guyton as the ILBs; or, Pierre Woods could substitute at OLB in non-rushing situations.

4. I expect BB to move a lot of the DLs around, including using both Brace and Pryor at DT and DE. I also expect to see Burgess, Thomas, TBC and Ninkovich all get some time at DE in the 4-3 schemes this season. The Pats will throw a lot of different looks at teams to disrupt them.

I think Green can take the place of Seymour. On a side note, do you think Seymour was one of the Patriots Hobbs was talking about?

Always liked Seymour when he gave 100%.

I would think that wright is ahead of green given he better versus the run and allows green to remain a passing down guy........with pryor and brace in the mix, there are several options........they could use brace at DE against weaker passing teams (there are quite a few of them on the schedule this year)....they could also use burgess in the same way they used mcginest until willie figured out the ropes as a 3-4 OLB

The only reason we are talking about how Green will do a great job is that we need him to do so. A few weeks ago, many here were talking about trading him or cutting him since his play had deteriorated so much and since he will be gone after this year in any case.

Belichick has taken the #10 defense in the NFL and transformed it from top to bottom with expectation that somehow all will just work out with Brady back. We had four critical players on the defense with almost no real backups. Belichick decided to trade on of the four away.

Do you really believe that this defense will improve by changing its very structure to a 4-3? Do you think that the losses of Seymour, Vrabel, Bruschi, Hobbs and Harrison are no big deal? We are the Super Bowl favorites playing with a defense designed from scratch with 1/2 the players having just walked in the door.

And yes, I'm all for bringing in Carter and an ILB.

1. BB may well bring in Kevin Carter, who would be more than adequate as a 3-4 DE.

2. Barring that, in the Pats' traditional 3-4 scheme Jarvis Green would play LDE, which he has done a fair job of previously.

3. Regardless, we will see a lot of 4-3 defense, with Wilfork + another DT (I think mainly Ron Brace, though Wright and Pryor could both see time) with Ty Warren at RDE and Derrick Burgess at LDE. Thomas, Mayo and Guyton would be the LBs. If Burgess gets more comfortable playing LB then he could alternate playing LDE with standing up and playing 3-4 OLB, with Mayo and Guyton as the ILBs; or, Pierre Woods could substitute at OLB in non-rushing situations.

4. I expect BB to move a lot of the DLs around, including using both Brace and Pryor at DT and DE. I also expect to see Burgess, Thomas, TBC and Ninkovich all get some time at DE in the 4-3 schemes this season. The Pats will throw a lot of different looks at teams to disrupt them.

Green actually plays RDE in the 3-4. He was lining up at the LDT spot or the RDE spot during the pre-season.

Its looking like the 4-3 will be the Pats base, more than the 3-4.

Why would you move Warren from his normal LDE position to the RDE position? Warren was lining up at the LDE position in the 4-3 (Jumbo) and that is his position in the 3-4 as well.

I doubt we'll see Thomas at the 4-3 DE spot. He'll, more than likely, be at the OLB position, where he lined up all pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes