Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who starts at RT in 2007?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jgb95, Jul 26, 2007.

1. jgb95

jgb95 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kaczur or O'Callaghan?
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +234 / 18 / -37

#50 Jersey

Its definitely a hot topic for camp.

1) Is O'Callaghan fully recovered from his concussions? Does he have a new mouth guard to help him prevent future ones?
    2) Has Kaczur matured enough where he won't get traded?
    3) Will Britt step up and push for playing time?
    4) Will Oldenburg or Hilliard just blow everyone away and win the starting position?
  3. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

To me this is more interesting than the battle at WR. No matter what the WRs should be really really good, at RT there is far more uncertainity.
  4. LA Pats Fan

LA Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Guess is that O'Callahan is in the lead position.

1) It looks like he works harder than Kaczur and has a year up on the new rookies.

2) I think he is bigger than Kaczur and fits the position RT better.

3) Kaczur stepped in at LT so it might be that BB considers him to the the primary backup at both positions. So if Light got hurt only one OL position would need to be changed.
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

O'Callihan if he stays healthy through training camp.Ithought he sustained a neck injury in the chicago game,not a concusion.
  6. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -1

Who knows really. I just hope we don't have one of those "camp retirement" phenonmenons about to occur with O'Callaghan.

Kaczur has been about as good as you could expect from a 3rd round Canadian/MAC tackle his first two years, but he has been the weak point on that O-line. Case in point: one play against the Chargers in the playoffs where I watched (Polk, I think) completely spin him 360-degrees around. On the one hand, Kaczur got completely spun around and backed into the pocket. On the other hand, Kaczur got completely spun around but maintained his block. He didn't just fall down à la Max Lane.
  7. TomBrady'sGoat

TomBrady'sGoat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

O'Callahan started as a rookie and did quite well until he got hurt (I also thought it was a neck injury). Unless he's regressed he'll probably win the spot.
  8. ClevTrev

ClevTrev Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

O'Callaghan is good bet to win the starter's job. He's a beast. I haven't heard anything regarding lingering injuries, as he's not on the PUP. Kaczur's an excellent backup.
  9. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

When the smoke clears, Wesley Britt will be the starting RT come playoff time. He was dominant in college as a run blocker, and dominant vs. Cincinnati last season.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  10. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Well, as long as somebody else is out on that limb, I'll climb on too. Then again, that behemoth has been on my binkie list for a while now. :p

[​IMG]
  11. stinkypete

stinkypete Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Add me to the list. I think O'Callaghan begins the year as the starter but I am seriously concerned about his health. Britt is (correct me if I'm wrong) entering his 3rd year in the Donte school of offernive linemenship. I think he breaks out.
  12. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

By the way... good look at the O-Line posted yesterday by Erik Scalavino on Patriots.com : http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=26426&pcid=44

13. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Despite the reports claiming Kaczur has a lackadaisical approach, he's still the man to beat for the job after two seasons with significant time as a starter. The other factor in his favor, he's still a stronger pass protecter than either of the other two veterans - that will play a major role in the decision based on the potential of this season's passing offense.
  14. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

While we're on the O-line, Breer had this tidbit from last week that seemed to slide by:
    http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/x2105704693

If true, the folks who considered 2006 a transition/re-building year may not have been too high after all.
  15. AD#96

AD#96 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

16. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Box-o-rocks brings up a great point. Who will function better in the zone-blocking scheme that the Pats will be implementing this year? The scheme requires strength and technique and holding your blocks (then again, what OL position doesn't?). From what I gather, Kazur is quick but lacks strength. O'Callaghan is powerful, quick for his size and had better technique than Kazur. I have also heard good things about Britt regarding his quickness and strength (6'8" 320?...my god).

I say O'Callaghan starts and Britt comes in to rotate between RT/LT and Kazur gets traded.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  17. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

**yawn** Scarnecchia says "psyche!"
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/08/practice_attend_6.html
    This rotation at RT has been a hallmark for the last three training camps. Ashworth and Gorin were always doing it with Ash the guy who usually won in Camp and Gorin the one coming off the bench and closing out the season after Ash got hurt. Kaczur, for all his sins (real or imagined), won the job back after he got healthy last season and then rotated with O'C until the Urlacher slobberknocker put O'C on the sick, lame, and lazy list. Either way the Pats will be good.
  18. JtudsJetsFan

JtudsJetsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What does this have to do with it? Most O-lineman in the NFL were drafted after round 2 and how does his nationality or college conference make a difference? O-linemen come from no-name schools/small programs more than any other position in the NFL.....the fact that he is from Canada means what, that he naturally cannot be as good?
  19. Warren94

Warren94 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

obviously the pats saw something Kazur. O'Callaghan has had injury concerns in college but is tough. I am leaning toward OC and Britt as a backup. Trade Kazur.
  20. rbkgoalr

rbkgoalr Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am going to say Britt. I have not been impressed at all with O'Callahan and Kaczur over th past few years. I really would like to see what this kid can do as a full time starter.