PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who should handle the kick-return duties???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK. The Pats have 2 of the best returners in the game in Ellis Hobbs (36 yards per return) and Laurence Maroney (28 yards per return).

Do you put one or both on the field to handle the return duties?

imho both also if i prefere Maroney

I like Hobbs. Save Marony's ribs.

Maroney on punts and Hobbs on kick offs. There will be far far fewer of these than punts. Probably only one!:D

Jackson looked pretty good last week handling the punt returns.

Hobbs..hes pissed from last years playoff where he fumbled when .. well our Punter(wasnt punter for us last year) tackled hm and forced the fumble

I really like Hobbs in that role.

I think Maroney can take the abuse better, and we've got more running backs than defensive backs. Besides, while Hobbs has one big return out of fewer opportunities, I think Maroney will give us a better overall performance. He's simply more likely to break the tackle needed bust one.

Do you put one or both on the field to handle the return duties?

Just Hobbs for the duration of this new season. We need Maroney to heal up (as much as possible) from his recent injury...and conserve his energy for backfield duties. The Pats have never had a combo like Dillon and Maroney for the playoffs. I'm sure we'll be taking advantage of their skills...

Maroney on punts and Hobbs on kick offs.

Maroney has very little experience on punts. The PR has to have some quicks -- Faulk's the man.

Chad-Jackson-Punt-Returns.

Maroney-kickoff-returns.

I think Maroney can take the abuse better, and we've got more running backs than defensive backs. Besides, while Hobbs has one big return out of fewer opportunities, I think Maroney will give us a better overall performance. He's simply more likely to break the tackle needed bust one.

Just an FYI, Hobbs average before that one BIG return for a TD was 29.7 Yards per return.

I'll take the guy NOT wearing the cast on his hand (who also happens to be the same guy that committed a crushing fumble in our last playoff game).

Depends on the situation. If you see a need for a no-risk, good hands guy if and when we have a lead, it will be Troy Brown.

Otherwise much will depend on how the coaches feel about Maroney's health and conditioning coming into the game.

Last edited:
Depends on the situation. If you see a need for a no-risk, good hands guy if and when we have a lead, it will be Troy Brown.

Otherwise much will depend on how the coaches feel about Maroney's health and conditioning coming into the game.
I like that. No emotion, just good sense.

I'll take the guy NOT wearing the cast on his hand (who also happens to be the same guy that committed a crushing fumble in our last playoff game).

1st off, Hobbs did not COMMIT a fumble. You say it like he was running along and just dropped the ball.

2ndly, Hobbs fumble came on a PUNT, not a kick.

3rd, Hobbs was speared by Todd Sauerbrun. Its very hard to hold onto a football when you get speared.

Bam Childress on Punt returns......

Put both Hobbs and Maroney back deep on KO's.

why Bam who hasnt returned? let CJ do his thing with Faulk-Brown maybe getting some in

PUNTS:

Troy Brown inside the 20

Beyond the 20: Jackson or Faulk depending on the situation (and Faulks health)

KICKOFFS:

Hobbs primary with Faulk the up man

Maroney primary with Faulk the up man

I really would prefer to see Maroney as it will prove he is 100% - also, not totaly in love with a man with a cast returning.

1st off, Hobbs did not COMMIT a fumble. You say it like he was running along and just dropped the ball.

2ndly, Hobbs fumble came on a PUNT, not a kick.

3rd, Hobbs was speared by Todd Sauerbrun. Its very hard to hold onto a football when you get speared.

WTF??

1st, a fumble is where the offensive player loses possession of the ball. Check.

2nd, It was a Kickoff, it came immediately after they scored following the bogus PI call.

3rd, Spearing has not been called in the NFL since the mid-90's. When you are hit by a punter, whether it's with his helmet or what, hold on to the ball.

4th, nice post.

Simple answer: both.

That way it's a pick your poison situation for the kicker. The only choice the kicker has is try to get a touchback or else we get a big return. You put in the guys that give you the best chance to win.

Ami missing something here?

Its called reason number 3. Sorry that you couldn't be bothered to read that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes