PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who should be blamed for this loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The offense more although the D just needed to cover that PA, hell they just need to play smart and not commit penalties on two drives.

Brady forced way too much to Ocho, we only have 2 1/2 recievers and those passes were better off targeted at Welker, as usual we have no shot at 25 let alone 30 points without Welker.

After the shellacking the D took last week, they played very well this week. To blame the D because of the last drive is like saying the O would have been at fault last week because they didn't score on their last possession (with the assumption they would have had 2 minutes on the final drive).
In the last couple of minutes, teams often go into a one dimensional, riskier offense to get the needed score. You see good defenses across the league give up that final score in the final two minuets due to this. It was unfortunate that Brown caused the flag, but it is what it is on that. They were damn close to forcing the FG even with first and goal from the 1.

While I would not argue that this is ultimately a team loss, it is puzzling, again after last week's performance, to hear people say this one goes on the D when they allowed 0 points through 2 quarters and, in effect, allowed 17 points total and gave the O the ball back time after time.

Kudos to Brady for the score on the final drive but thumbs down to him and the coaching staff for abysmal clock management (if there is a single failure to point to, this is the one). The Giants NEVER should have had as much time as they did. I'd swear the Patriots were operating that drive like they needed another possession.

I'll be satisfied if the D can play this well every week. However, if the O is going to perform like it did, the Patriots are going to have a real uphill battle to win the division and even make the playoffs. Whatever ails this O better get fixed soon otherwise there is going to be a lot of long faces PatriotNation Sunday evening too often.

The offense more although the D just needed to cover that PA, hell they just need to play smart and not commit penalties on two drives.

Brady forced way too much to Ocho, we only have 2 1/2 recievers and those passes were better off targeted at Welker, as usual we have no shot at 25 let alone 30 points without Welker.

Sadly, Brady is going to have to target '85' more. I agree it seemed forced, however, the route and coverage was there for completions. For whatever reason, '85' is not on the same page as Brady. Brady expects him to cut here, he doesn't. Brady throws the ball to spot A, '85' goes to spot C or D.

It seems teams are putting no emphasis on '85' and that is probably causing Welker/Brach extra coverage (and why Brady is looking and looking for the open guy that just isn't there). I believe Brady was targeting '85' because he SHOULD be the go to guy based on coverage. If the Patriots can't make teams pay for their over emphasis on Welker and/or Branch by hitting '85', then consider me squarely in the camp of pushing '85' aside and trying another body in that position. Brady being able to hit '85' may just be, as over dramatic as this sounds, the lynchpin for whether the O can return to being potent versus their current mediocre play.

The Patriots have GOT to make teams pay for the coverage they are using (and all will be using) and '85' is candidate #1 to help make this happen.

Sadly, Brady is going to have to target '85' more. I agree it seemed forced, however, the route and coverage was there for completions. For whatever reason, '85' is not on the same page as Brady. Brady expects him to cut here, he doesn't. Brady throws the ball to spot A, '85' goes to spot C or D.

It seems teams are putting no emphasis on '85' and that is probably causing Welker/Brach extra coverage (and why Brady is looking and looking for the open guy that just isn't there). I believe Brady was targeting '85' because he SHOULD be the go to guy based on coverage. If the Patriots can't make teams pay for their over emphasis on Welker and/or Branch by hitting '85', then consider me squarely in the camp of pushing '85' aside and trying another body in that position. Brady being able to hit '85' may just be, as over dramatic as this sounds, the lynchpin for whether the O can return to being potent versus their current mediocre play.

The Patriots have GOT to make teams pay for the coverage they are using (and all will be using) and '85' is candidate #1 to help make this happen.

Could he be a mole bought and paid for by Footsy Ryan?

The logical part of my says everybody is to blame. Special teams with their fumbles and a missed FG, Offense and their 3 and outs, fumbles and INT. Defense on their last 2 drives.

Since I am still pissed I am blaming this on the defense. Offense was better as the game went on and scored on their last 4 drives. Plus as bad as they were they came through and scored.The defense on the other hand pissed down its leg by allowing 14 points in 3 minutes. The only players I know in the secondary are Chung and Mccourty. (although I will not forget the name Brown) This defense is not getting better and it all comes back to unless Brady has a close to perfect game the pats are not winning the game.

Last edited:
I don't blame them for rushing on that last drive, our offense is typical 3 yds to Welker all day, tons of 3rd down, tons of passes in coverage lately leading to INTs.

The thinking had to be if we the TE drops it or Brady misses him, or Brady throws a pick in the end zone, all realistic options suddenly, we could get the usual stop on Eli and have another shot with maybe a minute left. I don't blame them, the offense blows suddenly and if we run it down to 10 seconds and Brady throws a pick we are screwed, this is how we have to play with these recievers, fast drives because we waste so many, we need as many drives as possible to score a respectable league average.

I can't believe I am talking NE here.

Tommy misses his best friend. That line is in a bad way for the first time in a long time, and Tom is forcing a lot more throws than I've seen since 2006. I think it's because Koppen is gone.

Naturally, the defense isn't ideal, but the defense plays to cling for dear life and not give up more than 25 points. Segio Brown :0

Last edited:
Everyone has a piece in it.

Offense did nothing all game, couldn't put points on the board. Brady is a big part of that.

Defense definitely held it's own (although Giants were without some of their best weapons) until the last drive where they completely fell apart. I remember Wilfork said after the Steelers loss he would love to be in a situation where the defense has to win the game...welp guess what you were and you blew it.

Special teams just SUCKS. Edelman fumble. Never getting past the 20. WTF?

In a way I'm kind of happy this is happening. We need a year where we suck. I knew last year our 14-2 was a fraud, but it seems like it wasn't as widely known. This is the team we were last year (probably worse) just not as lucky. We need a year like this to wake everyone up. Hopefully BB makes some moves in the draft to get impact players NOW and brings in some coordinators to help out.

Hey Robo did you or DaBruinz check out any of that Bengals game yesterday. Did you see Carlos Dunlap dominating the whole game. Getting double and triple teamed and still pushing the pocket. But we got Jermaine Cunningham, you know the guy who CAN'T GET ON THE FIELD. Where are the Cunningham supporters? Step up to the plate guys.

Newsflash Belichick is done. Sure he can coach, but he can't put together a team anymore and he has had so many chances. And he wants to run it all and he can't and he and his GIANT ego will never relinquish anything so this is what you get.

He has one of the worst, inexperienced coaching staffs in the league, with the exception of Dante.

He has failed on pretty much all his bargain basement free agents. Hey Bill how about a Babin or Nmami, you know pay a little for a guy who is still in his prime instead of guys past. Bodden, Thomas, Ocho, Haynesworth.

I can go on, the trading of picks, OH BELICHICK he's great with those picks. He works his way up and down the draft board.

2007 - Meriweather over Beason (that worked out well)
2008 - Mayo and a bunch of crap.
2009 - Chung, Brace, Vollmer, Butler - misses on Vontae Davis, Matthews, Hakeem Nicks,
2010 - Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap. I mean does this guy realize that Cunningham was only good because Dunlap was getting double teamed. Its the same reason Brace was good because BJ Raji was getting double teamed.
2011 - Solder and........................THAT'S IT A TRADE and RAS I, hey but we got FOUR Picks NEXT year, Belichick you genius, those suckers.

Oh and let's not forget they cheaped out on Richard Seymour to get an Offensive tackle.

This guy has become a joke, the Patriots are becoming a laughing stock around the league. This team was the AFC Favorite. They will be lucky, repeat lucky to make the playoffs.

And you are finally seeing Tom Brady unable to shoulder the complete load.

This team had a chance with all the "picks" they went cheap and they got cute. And they have NO TALENT on defense, can't develop a young wide out, have no depth.

This is what you've got out of the last 4 drafts, Gronk, Mayo and Hernandez. that's not enough.

Newsflash Belichick is done. Sure he can coach, but he can't put together a team anymore and he has had so many chances. And he wants to run it all and he can't and he and his GIANT ego will never relinquish anything so this is what you get. [snip]

Once you filter out all the attitude in this post...there's a lot of truth in it.

If you asked me before the game what we'd get out of the defense, I would have told you they'd play okay, but would give up 20-24 points and that they shouldn't be put in a position to have to hold a decent offense at the end of a game to win, because they can't do it.

That's exactly what we got out of them. What were you all expected after watching them all year, the 85 Bears to show up all of the sudden? Our defense is what it is...... it was no more or less than that.

If you asked me what we'd do offensively, I'm just about positive I would not have said we'd go 2.5 quarters without not so much as scoring a single point. Without so much as coming close to scoring a point.

To me, that just about says it all.

Last edited:
Hey Robo did you or DaBruinz check out any of that Bengals game yesterday. Did you see Carlos Dunlap dominating the whole game. Getting double and triple teamed and still pushing the pocket. But we got Jermaine Cunningham, you know the guy who CAN'T GET ON THE FIELD. Where are the Cunningham supporters? Step up to the plate guys.

Newsflash Belichick is done. Sure he can coach, but he can't put together a team anymore and he has had so many chances. And he wants to run it all and he can't and he and his GIANT ego will never relinquish anything so this is what you get.

He has one of the worst, inexperienced coaching staffs in the league, with the exception of Dante.

He has failed on pretty much all his bargain basement free agents. Hey Bill how about a Babin or Nmami, you know pay a little for a guy who is still in his prime instead of guys past. Bodden, Thomas, Ocho, Haynesworth.

I can go on, the trading of picks, OH BELICHICK he's great with those picks. He works his way up and down the draft board.

2007 - Meriweather over Beason (that worked out well)
2008 - Mayo and a bunch of crap.
2009 - Chung, Brace, Vollmer, Butler - misses on Vontae Davis, Matthews, Hakeem Nicks,
2010 - Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap. I mean does this guy realize that Cunningham was only good because Dunlap was getting double teamed. Its the same reason Brace was good because BJ Raji was getting double teamed.
2011 - Solder and........................THAT'S IT A TRADE and RAS I, hey but we got FOUR Picks NEXT year, Belichick you genius, those suckers.

Oh and let's not forget they cheaped out on Richard Seymour to get an Offensive tackle.

This guy has become a joke, the Patriots are becoming a laughing stock around the league. This team was the AFC Favorite. They will be lucky, repeat lucky to make the playoffs.

And you are finally seeing Tom Brady unable to shoulder the complete load.

This team had a chance with all the "picks" they went cheap and they got cute. And they have NO TALENT on defense, can't develop a young wide out, have no depth.

This is what you've got out of the last 4 drafts, Gronk, Mayo and Hernandez. that's not enough.

I'll take BB as a coach any day of the week but as a personal evaluator he is TERRIBLE.

You can't even argue this. We're getting WORSE. WORSE.

How is it possible we have a secondary made up of no names? Butler, Wilhite, Meriweather, Bodden, all these guys are better than what we have now. It's amazing to me.

Like it bothers me to type about this because it makes no sense to me. Constantly trading back in the draft to acquire more picks and pick guys that never see the field.

Vereen in the 2nd round, hasn't seen the field.

Price in the 3rd round, can't get on the field.

Cunningham in the 2nd, healthy scratch.

Brace in the 2nd, can't get on the field.

Butler in the 2nd, cut.

Wheatly in the 2nd, cut.

And that's off the top of my head. BB is simply missing over and over again on players at the top of the draft. You can't do this if your motto is to build through the draft. There is either a personal problem or a coaching issue and it needs to be solved if we want to stay competitive.

This is Post of the day. HE REFUSED to draft defense this year outside of Dowling, and takes running backs but then he doesn't play them. Can someone please explain that to me?

tough to single out any one player or unit, but brady needs to protect the ball better and not be responsible for forcing too many throws through tight windows, especially when approaching the red zone.

It's my fault. I take the blame...

The draft is part of an overall strategy to add players. Also, drafts are the way to develop future players, although sometimes injuries (and outright holes) force us to use rookies. Last year we had a hole at TE. This year we had an injury at RT (good that we drafted Solder!).

We all wanted Belichick to draft DL/OLB help. Instead we added Haynsworth, Carter, Anderson and Ellis. Apparently, this isn't enough for some. I'm fine with the additions, especially now that Deaderick 9and Brace) are back. Our front seven is much better than in 2010, especially against the run.

With regard to the offense, we had a solid running game in 2010. The issue in the first half of this year is not that Green-Ellis and Woodhead aren't good enough. The issue is that we don't run often enough. We had Morris and Taylor last year. We replaced them with Ridley and Vareen. Ridley has already been more productive this year than both Morris and Taylor.

BOTTOM LINE
Belichick CHOSE not to draft defense beyond Dowling because his view was that defensive needs could be met in free agency or through players returning from IR (like Bodden and Barrett).

This is Post of the day. HE REFUSED to draft defense this year outside of Dowling, and takes running backs but then he doesn't play them. Can someone please explain that to me?

Sometimes when my team takes a loss, I look at perhaps a weak link in the defense. Maybe somebody that isn't playing hard. Our team is playing as best they can. We've got a defense filled with 7th round picks or undrafted free agents. They are not close to being talented, but IMHO are doing their best.

So my answer is our defense, but it's not really their fault. The Brown's, Ihedigbo's, Barret's, Guyton's, Adam's, White's, Arrington's, Ninkovich's, Loves were late draft picks or undrafted free agents for a reason. They are out there trying. But, "they are what they are".

How the majority of our defense ended up looking like this is a whole different issue.

Dyam that's a great article...he gutted the game like a fishmonger does a carp...again...what the hell did the offense work on all week????

They worked on how to successfully turnover the ball on multiple occasions. The O did their thing down the stretch. The D shat the bed (they were themselves in the final drive a PERFECT replica of arse).

I blame our D coordinator [BB] for playing soft schemes in the ending drive. We hardly committed any to a pass rush (that was successful many times during the game) I would have brought HEAT. You give Henne Eli Sanchez Campbell Romo TIME in the pocket these middle fiddle QB's will look great.
That bend don't BREAK *hit doesn't work BB you wanted to hold to a FG and guess what you laid off the blitzes and made the G-men win. You were NOT agressive.... you were playing mainly DB football in coverage. I am ashamed of Bills Stubbornness to resort to BEND and DON"T BREAK all of the time INSTEAD of a good BLITZ. Will changing the strategy hurt BB's ego. EF me.

so much to blame, but a lot of it falls on the coach.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes