Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who Said This?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

The following are quotes taken from a Chris Matthews interview on who's responsible for the current debt crisis.

When Bush took office, we had a debt of about $6 trillion. The projections from the CBO were that we were going to run a $6 trillion surplus. By this point, if we had done nothing, we would have paid off the dead debt, but we added about $3 trillion of tax cuts. We lost about $3 trillion of revenue because of the slower economy and added about $6 trillion of spending, largely due to two unfinished wars and a Medicare drug benefits and a lot of other things. So, instead of getting — paying off the debt–we ended up with about a $14 trillion debt.

I think the dirty secret is that Obama is a moderate conservative. If I were a liberal democrat, I probably would be upset.

I think a good chunk of the Republican caucus is either stupid, crazy, ignorant or craven cowards, who are desperately afraid of the tea party people, and rightly so.

Who would dare say such a thing?

Any guesses?
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Tim Leary?

Never saw any projections of a 6T surplus, cause we know congress would spend every cent and then some.
  3. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

reagan is responsible lol
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I looked it up:Historian Bruce Bartlett, a former domestic policy adviser to President Ronald Reagan said that in the interview.
  5. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We never did, but what would you be saving for? A big shiny new planet to exploit?
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

When I saw this thread's title I instinctively thought it might be something from Abraham Lincoln, something, from present day standards, shockingly racist. I'm disappointed it's not a sexier thread. The Lincoln Memorial on the Mall turns him into a Roman god.

Racist Quote by Abe Lincoln (Happy Black History Month!) « darwinian remiix

The Great Emancipator was definitely a man of his time, warts and all. And his Emancipation Proclamation didn't apply to the border states, those pro-slavery and -union states like Kentucky. Look it up.

It's difficult to find this out when visiting historical sites like Gettysburg or reading the books.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Anyone talking about "projected" surpluses should be instantly ignored. First off there were never any surpluses, and second, most people now know that the "projections" were based on the continuance of an artificial, bubble economy. I give credit to getting close to living in the black to all those who served in those year. To those who understand math, those years only serve to reinforce the fact that the government spends too much. We couldn't, as a nation, live in the black during the booming times of the 90's, under peak conditions. Why? Cuz we have a spending problem, not a revenue problem. ;)
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I've been looking up a lot about Lincoln in the past year. I urge you look up his quotes and speeches after the Douglas debates that show a progresive shift away from his earlier stances. He wound up being assisinated because the last straw for Booth was when Lincoln called for the right for black men(product of his time too) to vote.
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

BTW Lincoln went to a no name school never went to Harvard or Yale clearly he shouldn't have been President. :D
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

+1 exactly correct.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Of course he should be ignored....he's a Republican, isn't he?

:singing::singing::singing:
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

HE was a pub, btw RW doesn't care for pubs anymore than dems.
  13. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

14. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Your comparing what someone said 100 years ago to today's standards, excellent point. Next, I let's have a discussion that justifies enslavement of Africans because, Africans themselves sold slaves.
    What an embarrassment that Lincoln character was. He actually said whites should not marry blacks. We should have elected the guy he was debating, Stephen Douglas.