PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who plays RT when Light returns?

Answers; Matt Light at LT, and Kaczur at RT

Reason; Matt Light has the experience, and happenes to be a good LT. Same goes for Nick.

I may have jumped on the Vollmer train after last night, but that doesnt mean i think Light should be benched. It simply means that i think Vollmer is going to be a great player for this team for many years. For those who will say, "Nash, he looked great against KVB in the Titans game". Yeah, except for the fact that KVB couldnt get a good footing to rush the passer. The Bucs game? C'mon, it was the bucs. lol. Now Vollmer does a good job against Freeney. Good for him, but it was one game. Thats not enough to make him the starter in my book. Has Light had trouble with speed rushers? Sure. Alot of great tackles have trouble with them.

As for Nick, well, he p*ssed me off against the Colts. It was one game though, and other than that he has looked fine at RT. One bad game against a good pash rusher, isnt enough to bench him.

The real problem with the O-line, is when Neal gets injured. Everytime that happens, they have problems controlling the line in the middle.

One more thing. For those who keep bringing up the SB against the Giants as an argument for why Matt should be benched,,,,,,,,find something new to argue. Go look at 'unoriginals' SB 0-line breakdown thread, and you'll see that LT, and RT were not the problems. Mankins had a horrible game compared to Light, and yet everyone loves Mankins, and b*tches about Light. :rolleyes:

end of rant........disclaimer; I reserve the right to change my mind based on BBs desicions. Afterall, he knows more than any of us :D

People think that Light might be able to play LG because most NFL LG's are ex-LT's.

Why does anyone think Light can play ANYWHERE except LT? BB has said that some linemen are more versatile than others, and I don't recall Light playing anywhere else on the line.

Light is NOT a right tackle. he has never played that position in his life. Keep light at LT, move Vollmer to RT and Kazur to guard. Now you have both tackle positions set and a fantastic interior line than can run and pass block well.

Light is NOT a right tackle. he has never played that position in his life. Keep light at LT, move Vollmer to RT and Kazur to guard. Now you have both tackle positions set and a fantastic interior line than can run and pass block well.

When has Vollmer played RT? When has Kaczur played RG?

So what you basically just said is that the Pats shouldn't put Light at RT because he's never played there (which I agree with), but that they should instead put TWO players in positions they've never played before.

And two players, one of whom is a rookie, playing out of position to accommodate the return of one player whom the rookie replacement projects to be an upgrade over albeit in limited action at the position and it's impending future for possibly a decade...

Bill will work it out when the time comes but he will do it with as little upheaval as possible pending injury status over the next 3 weeks. Down the stretch with some practice reps there are potential alternatives that could be explored but the forseeable future (NY, NO, MIA wouldn't be the time to experiment with those... Cohesion is almost as important to OL play as talent.

I really can't see the Patriots putting Light back in his LT spot. This reminds me of the Bledsoe situation. A potentially great, very good now, young guy replacing a decent now, but skills declining injured veteran. From what I have seen all year, Vollmer is just flat out better than Light is at one of the most important positions on the field.

many RT's are former LT's, somewhat similar to how some CB's can become Safeties.

Michael Oher played LT in college and is now starting as a RT for the Ravens in his rookie year. well, he has actually played both this season

position changes may not be ideal, but they happen

Last edited:
I'm glad I don't have to make the decision, let's put it that way.

We could see all 3 on the field at once for half a dozen or so snaps a game. We've seen the 3 tackle package a couple of times a game, but I bet we see it a few times more. When you have 3 tackles that good, why not use them as an offensive weapon?

I'm sorry but this is just too easy.
You want Vollmer at LT because it seems
pretty obvious that he will protect TB's blindside better
than ML. I can remember many plays against the Colts
where Freeney would just run around Light and kill Brady.
This did not happen Sunday night. Seabass so dominated
Freeney I doubt Freeny went home to face his family
after the game.
Light will go to RT and we got to get some depth for that
damn right guard position.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye