PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who plays RT when Light returns?

They just extended James Sanders and quickly moved him to backup when it was clear there was a superior player on the roster.

That was before they drafted Chung and before they even signed McGowan, let alone see him come together.

They extended Kaczur after they had drafted Vollmer.

Your point is well taken, but mine is that Kaczur's extension speaks volumes about how the team values him. One bad game (he's had a good season thus far) against the Colts, though, and fans are already calling him a non-starter.

That was before they drafted Chung and before they even signed McGowan, let alone see him come together.

They extended Kaczur after they had drafted Vollmer.

Your point is well taken, but mine is that Kaczur's extension speaks volumes about how the team values him. One bad game (he's had a good season thus far) against the Colts, though, and fans are already calling him a non-starter.

So where does Light go, assuming Vollmer stays where he is?

So where does Light go, assuming Vollmer stays where he is?

For this season? The bench. I think Kaczur and Vollmer are better options right now.

For next season? Another team, via trade or release. The Pats do not take any cap hit in either case.

I think Vollmer, Kaczur, LeVoir, and Bussey (also OG) is your depth chart at OT from November 2009 through at least 2010 - Vollmer, Bussey, and Kaczur are signed through 2012, LeVoir through 2011. Light is signed through 2010, but with no bonus amortization because of an exercised option bonus.

Neal is probably gone after this season (he'll be 33), so the only possibility of Light staying would be to step in at RG. I don't see that happening though. Ohrnberger is an option, but an unproven one. Wendell and Connolly are the next generation of Hochstein/Yates, and nothing more.

It's important to note, though, that Kaczur will be 31 next season. He was a 26-year old rookie. Maroney and Chad Jackson, who were drafted a year after him, are six years younger than him.

Light will be 32 next season. Koppen will be 31. Mankins will be 28.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks Kaczur should be a starter needs their head examined. The guy flat out sucks. Gets abused way more than people realize. Thank god for Vollmer!

Sorry if I don't take your word for it.

Kaczur gets abuse a lot LESS than you'd have people believe. In fact, during the off-season, it was shown that Kaczur was actually one of the better RTs in the league.

Sorry if I don't take your word for it.

Kaczur gets abuse a lot LESS than you'd have people believe. In fact, during the off-season, it was shown that Kaczur was actually one of the better RTs in the league.

LOL. Dude, where do you come up with these things?

LOL. Dude, where do you come up with these things?

Where do you get the crazy assumption that Kaczur sucks because he can't hold his own against an elite DE in just one game? Did you know Mathis is 2nd in sacks total for this this decade?

Last edited:
Where do YOU get the crazy assumption that Kaczur sucks because he can't hold his own against an elite DE. Did you know Mathis is 2nd in sacks total this decade?

Where do you get the crazy assumption that I think Kaczur sucks? I just asked the dude where he comes up with his information.

Where do you get the crazy assumption that I think Kaczur sucks? I just asked the dude where he comes up with his information.

Sorry, I got you mixed up with another poster. Was responding to afterlifemobile and hit the wrong quote button.

Last edited:
All I know is that when Neal got dinged up, all of a sudden the offense sputtered.... Just like Pats vs. Giants.

I'm starting to think some of these guys got a little free nose candy when they joined this forum. :/

While I think Vollmer has been stunningly good, BB has a well known affection for veterans and for a generally good reason, which is experience. Kaczur is nothing spectacular, but he's still a solid tackle.

I'm not sure Vollmer would instantly make the transition to RT and play as well as he has, and at the same time, I can't believe that BB will bench Light in favor of Vollmer. Light is still better than Sebastian and has more experience.

At the same time, BB is very unpredictable. I'm sure Belichick will be comparing Sebastian's performances with those of Kaczur and then see which guy gives the team the best chance to win.

Can't imagine Light starting at RT. Makes no sense when he has played his entire career at LT. The only possibility is Vollmer moving to the right side and there's no guarantee that will happen, even if I personally feel that Vollmer is a better player than Kaczur.

As I said, there would have to be some transition for Vollmer involved and some guys who are great left tackles simply can't play the right side. They aren't used to shifting their weight to that side of their body. But, it's definitely possible that Vollmer could start there, as I'm pretty sure he has worked both positions in practice and training camp and for all we know has worked there in college/Germany as well.

While I think Vollmer has been stunningly good, BB has a well known affection for veterans and for a generally good reason, which is experience. Kaczur is nothing spectacular, but he's still a solid tackle.

I'm not sure Vollmer would instantly make the transition to RT and play as well as he has, and at the same time, I can't believe that BB will bench Light in favor of Vollmer. Light is still better than Sebastian and has more experience.

At the same time, BB is very unpredictable. I'm sure Belichick will be comparing Sebastian's performances with those of Kaczur and then see which guy gives the team the best chance to win.

Can't imagine Light starting at RT. Makes no sense when he has played his entire career at LT. The only possibility is Vollmer moving to the right side and there's no guarantee that will happen, even if I personally feel that Vollmer is a better player than Kaczur.

As I said, there would have to be some transition for Vollmer involved and some guys who are great left tackles simply can't play the right side. They aren't used to shifting their weight to that side of their body. But, it's definitely possible that Vollmer could start there, as I'm pretty sure he has worked both positions in practice and training camp and for all we know has worked there in college/Germany as well.

This is the same BB who benched Bledsoe in favor of some kid named Brady.

The way Vollmer is playing, he is no longer a back up. When Light returns, Vollmer will switch to RT.

All I know is that when Neal got dinged up, all of a sudden the offense sputtered.... Just like Pats vs. Giants.
Yes, absolutely. As soon as Neal leaves the game, there is huge pressure up the middle from the Colts/Giants. Would've helped a lot if Kendall Simmons had been on the roster for the Colts game.

I thought he was a great pickup for the stretch run, given Neal's history of injury problems and importance to the passing game, and was very surprised when he was released.

I guess the team thinks Connolly/Ohrnberger are better options. I don't know who filled in for Neal after his injury, but whoever it was looked pretty bad.

Yes, absolutely. As soon as Neal leaves the game, there is huge pressure up the middle from the Colts/Giants. Would've helped a lot if Kendall Simmons had been on the roster for the Colts game.

I thought he was a great pickup for the stretch run, given Neal's history of injury problems and importance to the passing game, and was very surprised when he was released.

I guess the team thinks Connolly/Ohrnberger are better options. I don't know who filled in for Neal after his injury, but whoever it was looked pretty bad.

Connolly filled in and wasn't that bad. Ohrnberger has been inactive all season. Wendell is back on the PS. Simmons is out.

Don't know but one thing is for sure, somehow BB has managed to find a stud LT in the second round. Stud LT's are worth their weight in gold. Just getting Vollmer goes a long way in justifying the 2009 draft class. If only Brace would step up it would be perfect ....

Vollmer handled Freeney pretty well most of this game. He's a big reason the Pats offense exploded for 24 in the first half. It was Kaczur who was getting beaten by Mathis in the second half that led to the offensive inefficiencies. I think Vollmer stays. Whether it is LT or RT. I've always wondered if Light might not be better suited for RT. We'll find out when Light gets back.

So no need to re-hash, we all saw Kaczur get abused late in the game by Mathis. Probably the most disappointing individual performance of the game.

Anyway, let's look on the bright side ...

Vollmer pretty much answered all doubts with this performance vs. Freeney (had the Pats won, this would have been one of the major headlines) and hopefully Light will be returning soon.

So .....

When Light gets back, who plays RT? Does Light go back to LT and Vollmer shifts to RT? Does Vollmer move back to the bench and OL returns to status quo? Or does Vollmer stay at LT and Light moves to RT?

If anything, I think Light moves to Guard. Why anyone believes he can just scoot on over to RT is beyond me.

Why does anyone think Light can play ANYWHERE except LT? BB has said that some linemen are more versatile than others, and I don't recall Light playing anywhere else on the line.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back