PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who needs to step up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you notice that the Pats were blowing teams out when Steven Neal was able to play? They scoring has fallen off since he has been out nursing a shoulder...

Screens that used to go for 15-25 yards; now go for 6 9 yards. Sometimes they don't make a FD, stopping drives, too. Russ Hochstein is doing a good job, but he can't get out there on the edge, like Steve can; no one can...

Last edited:
The defense.

The Pats defense has a larger performance variation than the offense.
(More Jehyll and Hyde).
If the Pats D plays within their norm, that is 40-60% percentile, the Pats will win all.

I agree, although I do believe the oline both passing and working with Maroney could really benefit from the 2 weeks. Not a knock at all, they're young and talented.

I think Seau an Bru have survived and with their mental edge and two weeks will be formidable. As a fellow old guy, I can tell you, the more concentrated and limited the time, the more the vets will outperform.

I'd love to see AD put down the books and just hit people.

The Dline could go from All Pro to crippling. Our front 3 +1 needs to be devastating, because they can be.

I think the distinction between CBs and safeties will blur and our secondary will be a plus as BB opens up or rewrites the playbook.

I doubt we see Ellis Hobbs stuck the whole game with a top receiver giving up at least 8 inches.

Definitely the defensive unit overall needs to step up for the playoffs. They seem to play great at times but not consistent. Not sure if a lot of it is with the playcalling, but we need our guys to step up defensively and cause some more turnovers and more 3 and outs. They made Eli look almost like Peyton because the pressure couldn't get to him. I think the bye week will definitely help. Last time we came off a bye week Buffalo only managed 10 points if I remember corectly.

Ellis Hobbs. The kid can play much better than he has thus far this year. He needs to stop being a liability on the deep ball. If the guy brings his "A" game, than our defense will be just fine. If he doesn't play his best, than we may be in for nailbiting shootouts when we play the Colts and Cowboys. Step your game up Hollywood!!:D

Ellis Hobbs. The kid can play much better than he has thus far this year. He needs to stop being a liability on the deep ball. If the guy brings his "A" game, than our defense will be just fine. If he doesn't play his best, than we may be in for nailbiting shootouts when we play the Colts and Cowboys. Step your game up Hollywood!!:D

I think Hobbs has a limited upside. Teams were throwing away from Asante, so he looked worse because of so much action.

I bet they have lots of plans they haven't shown disguising coverages and switching liberally among safeties and cornerbacks.

I think we go high with a corner or two and Hobbs transitions gradually to
nickel.

I am so happy I'm ecstatic. Hoping a couple very talented players find a rhythm for the playoffs is a positive vibe.

Feel the warmth.:p

I'm feeling it, I'm feeling it.

And I'd like to see Watson step up. Two drops last Sunday night was a bit much. He did rebound though. They kept going to him. He was an important part of the offense that night because they needed that extra presence underneath.

I actually like what Kyle Brady can do with his hands. He's a very good receiver when he manages to get open. I think we need him for the stretch run.

Playoffs coming up. Obviously,I couldn't be more thrilled with this team. Brady, Moss, Vrabel and others have had special seasons.

But the playoffs are one and out and some players need to step up IMO, because playing to their potential might make the difference some game.

Ben Watson: This guy's built like a Greek god. He often looks like one on the field too. He stands like a statue leaving us to imagine the tremendous speed and power he's supposed to have.

Let's step it up, Ben. The potential train is leaving the station, it's put up time.

Eugene Wilson: This guy has all the talent in the world. Remember he was going to be a consensus All Pro in no time? Meanwhile the leaves of the calendar have peeled off like in a B movie.

Eugene just finished his fifth full season? Is that possible? Nobody's talking about All Pro anymore, that's for sure. Four seasons of sleep walking and injured lists.

Slap some cold water on your face Eugene. If you can't get excited about a contract year and a perfect season.....

Sure your an adequate safety who can cover. The "all the talent in the world train" is leaving too.

And to both guys, this is the playoffs, if you're breathing, your not injured so we don't have to guess every week, like we've had to so far. You're either on the Super bowl train or not.

I've got more happy holiday wishes, but i'll break it up.:D

The Patriots have proven they don't need anyone in particular to step it up. Game after game, year after year, the right guys have stepped forward when necessary to win. Obviously, they all need to up their level of play. After all, it's playoff time. But to say who needs to up their game more than anyone else is a bit foolhardy...especially after 16 consecutive wins.

Even Mr Brady has looked weak at times over the second half of the season. but for me to say he needs to step it up would be stupid. I believe the Patriots have the players & the coaches who will give them whatever is needed to bring home The Trophy. We won't know who steps up & comes through along the road, but it will happen. They've already proven that in the last 16 games.

The Patriots have proven they don't need anyone in particular to step it up. Game after game, year after year, the right guys have stepped forward when necessary to win. Obviously, they all need to up their level of play. After all, it's playoff time. But to say who needs to up their game more than anyone else is a bit foolhardy...especially after 16 consecutive wins.

Even Mr Brady has looked weak at times over the second half of the season. but for me to say he needs to step it up would be stupid. I believe the Patriots have the players & the coaches who will give them whatever is needed to bring home The Trophy. We won't know who steps up & comes through along the road, but it will happen. They've already proven that in the last 16 games.

I wouldn't say Brady, Moss and Welker could have played much better.

I certainly think Gaffney and Stallworth have the talent to have a much greater impact than they have, if given the opportunities.

I don't really get what your argument is, in other words. A team consists of flesh and blood players, not generic football units.

*Jermaine Wiggins, J.R. Redmond, Troy Brown, Troy Brown, Rodney Harrison etc.*

Last edited:
No question: The D-line.

If those guys perform to their max ability it has a waterfall effect on the rest of the defense. They start getting pressure with 3 and 4 man fronts and all of a sudden our LBs don't look too slow and Hobbs is All Pro corner.

Funny how that works ...

I'm feeling it, I'm feeling it.

And I'd like to see Watson step up. Two drops last Sunday night was a bit much. He did rebound though. They kept going to him. He was an important part of the offense that night because they needed that extra presence underneath.

I actually like what Kyle Brady can do with his hands. He's a very good receiver when he manages to get open. I think we need him for the stretch run.

I like Brady. With our WRs, a possession, blocking tight end might realistically be what we need.

I'm just dying to see the offensive version of the Watson who covered the whole field for that spectacular TD saving tackle, though.

No question: The D-line.

If those guys perform to their max ability it has a waterfall effect on the rest of the defense. They start getting pressure with 3 and 4 man fronts and all of a sudden our LBs don't look too slow and Hobbs is All Pro corner.

Funny how that works ...

Absolutely. They can just beat an Oline into submission and so the offense just stops functioning. With Seymour playing well there should be no way to stop them.

I think Hobbs has a limited upside. Teams were throwing away from Asante, so he looked worse because of so much action.

I bet they have lots of plans they haven't shown disguising coverages and switching liberally among safeties and cornerbacks.

I think we go high with a corner or two and Hobbs transitions gradually to
nickel.

I think Asante is gone unless he wants to play for 5 times 6 with $12-15 guaranteed. And oddly after they couldn't score against the smurf they tested Asante, and did. Twice. If he's gone we draft a corner on day 1, but Ellis is the 2008 starter. Maybe we play a little more man and a little less soft zone depending on how early on day 1 we draft him. Bill could also have his eye on a FA. He wanted DeShea Townsend because like the Steelers he viewed him as a great nickle who could start and not kill you. Bill doesn't want to pay for a corner who can stop Plexico Burress, let alone pay that money to a corner who can't.

I wouldn't say Brady, Moss and Welker could have played much better.

I certainly think Gaffney and Stallworth have the talent to have a much greater impact than they have, if given the opportunities.

I don't really get what your argument is, in other words. A team consists of flesh and blood players, not generic football units.

*Jermaine Wiggins, J.R. Redmond, Troy Brown, Troy Brown, Rodney Harrison etc.*

My point is that where ever the Patriots need to improve and which ever players need to step it up, it will happen. All of us who post here are mere amatuers posting our opinions. There's nothing wrong with that. But we should trust that the Patriots staff under coach Belichik will make the necessary adjustments to win each game. In a nutshell, WE don't need to debate who needs to step it up. We should have the faith & confidence that there will be Patriots who play above what is expected in the areas where it is needed.

I realize this all makes good conversation, but it is fairly pointless.

Haven't they proven this to us time & again?

My point is that where ever the Patriots need to improve and which ever players need to step it up, it will happen. All of us who post here are mere amatuers posting our opinions. There's nothing wrong with that. But we should trust that the Patriots staff under coach Belichik will make the necessary adjustments to win each game. In a nutshell, WE don't need to debate who needs to step it up. We should have the faith & confidence that there will be Patriots who play above what is expected in the areas where it is needed.

I realize this all makes good conversation, but it is fairly pointless.

Haven't they proven this to us time & again?

I get your point but I enjoy talking about this a lot more than Jessica Simpson's effect on Romo.

It's all pointless, but I like talking about players that rise to the occasion in the playoffs. I don't expect BB's going to change his game plan based on my opinions on strategy, but i'll continue to offer them.

Is there something more important to talk about on a football board?

Last edited:
I think Asante is gone unless he wants to play for 5 times 6 with $12-15 guaranteed. And oddly after they couldn't score against the smurf they tested Asante, and did. Twice. If he's gone we draft a corner on day 1, but Ellis is the 2008 starter. Maybe we play a little more man and a little less soft zone depending on how early on day 1 we draft him. Bill could also have his eye on a FA. He wanted DeShea Townsend because like the Steelers he viewed him as a great nickle who could start and not kill you. Bill doesn't want to pay for a corner who can stop Plexico Burress, let alone pay that money to a corner who can't.

Interesting. i personally think they go for a corner or two, maybe with the first (maybe after a trade down, one sight i saw says great depth bottom 1-2). They don't seem to want that killer linebacker in the draft.

I always liked Asante. If he's gone, he's gone. They know how to spot them and he was a 4th after all.

I don't see Hobbs having Asante's upside. He's not smooth and he's not able to compensate for his lack of height IMO.

He can be adequate, but not the answer. I think he'd be a killer at nickel.

They'll always go for depth in free agency and the Chad Scotts and the couple six footers they tried and cut this year are where they find guys to use on the Plaxico's. I guess they'd go big for a FA if available, but there seems a big difference ($$$) between popular and out of favor at that position.

I can't say i disagree with your assessment, but I think they develop corners well and they are running out of positions where a rookie can make this team.

I'd like to see Chad Jackson step up in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back