PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who needs Ambien when we've got Bill Belichick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYPatsFan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I saw this video on NFL.com and I started laughing half way through it. Who needs sleeping pills when a Bill Belichick press conference is available? OMG. I don't know how those beat writers do it day in and day out.

Do you guys think he does this intentionally? He must be different in the locker room. There is no way that speaking style could motivate anyone to do anything other than fall asleep.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d802a9cb4

I saw this video on NFL.com and I started laughing half way through it. Who needs sleeping pills when a Bill Belichick press conference is available? OMG. I don't know how those beat writers do it day in and day out.

Do you guys think he does this intentionally? He must be different in the locker room. There is no way that speaking style could motivate anyone to do anything other than fall asleep.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d802a9cb4
Of course he does this intentionally! Thats what makes it so great!!!

Does anyone care really how the "beat writers" do it? They are not, as they would have you believe, of any importance at all. And at times more of a nuisance.

The more manic and stupid they are, the more monotone and truthful he is.

I'm sure the questions were of the "are you unbeatable?, can you go 16-0?, based on these games will Moss catch 2,000 yards?, Is Brady a shoe in for MVP?

You get my point. The beat writers are worse than teen girl fan magazine interviewers and he is sick of hearing it already.

Just ask an insightful football question and the light goes on.

I absolutly love listening to BB, press conferences are an artform for him.

Does anyone care really how the "beat writers" do it? They are not, as they would have you believe, of any importance at all. And at times more of a nuisance.

NICE!!!

I don't even know if he does "it" on purpose.

I think that he probably would agree with you that they are not very important, however.

Hey, isn't it the writers who actually vote a person into the Hall of Fame?

And, if this is true, do you think that BB really cares about it? I hear people go on and on about how he has hurt his chances or what ever, (and that is not what I am talking about.) but my question is does he even care?

I think that he leaves his legacy by winning championships, and having some amazing relationships with other champions. That is it. I think that the idea of him wringing his hands waiting and wondering if Clayton likes him enough when all is said and done is an image that makes me upchuck in my mouth a little.

The more manic and stupid they are, the more monotone and truthful he is.

I'm sure the questions were of the "are you unbeatable?, can you go 16-0?, based on these games will Moss catch 2,000 yards?, Is Brady a shoe in for MVP?

You get my point. The beat writers are worse than teen girl fan magazine interviewers and he is sick of hearing it already.

Just ask an insightful football question and the light goes on.

Totally agree RayClay.

I wish that there was some way that fans could ask questions. Maybe they could be asked on a certain day. Like there would be 3 fan questions on Wednesday, and that they would be submitted to the Team website by tuesday night. But ya know, fans would probably ask the same questions.

"What socks do you like to wear on gameday?"

"If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be, and most importantly, why?"

"Do you like the fans? Which fan do you like the most, and why?"

"What do you think of Britney Spears and do you think that she COULD be a good parent if you were teaching her stuff?"

Ok, no fan questions.

I'm surprised a Pats beat writer whose job it is to cover BB news conferences hasn't committed hari-kari by now.

Last edited:
Have felt all along that this is one of BB's playing with idiotic NFL rules,

1. Press conferences, plays with the press, and never gives out any valuable info.. they never ask him about football..
2. Wearing official NFL wear on the sidelines, the tattered Hoodie is as flagrant as it gets
3. The injury report,no one plays with this better...

I think that is why Goodell got so pissed at him, because this is what he does, he makes a mockery out of paternalistic rules of the NFL...

Well, it's not like BB is the only one who doesn't give meaningful info out in his press conferences. Not everyone is Herm Edwards. Over at extremeskins no one even bothers with Gibbs pressers anymore because he just says the same thing over and over again no matter what "Fought our guts out" "They were supersmart" "We're in this together" blah, blah, blah. THe tone is different, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Have felt all along that this is one of BB's playing with idiotic NFL rules,

1. Press conferences, plays with the press, and never gives out any valuable info.. they never ask him about football..
2. Wearing official NFL wear on the sidelines, the tattered Hoodie is as flagrant as it gets
3. The injury report,no one plays with this better...

I think that is why Goodell got so pissed at him, because this is what he does, he makes a mockery out of paternalistic rules of the NFL...

the injury report is actually driven by some incident a few yrs back when BB was fined for not putting someone on the report and deactivating the player or something. Ever since then he has played with it. A lot people think he does this to piss of reporters and other teams. But in reality, at least thats what i heard jimmy johnson say once on fox ,its his gripe against the league.Especially Brady being on it all the time.Iam sure his dressing has some valid reason we will never know. People just assume he likes to wear a ragged hoodie because thats his personality.

Last edited:
the injury report is actually driven by some incident a few yrs back when BB was fined for not putting someone on the report and deactivating the player or something. Ever since then he has played with it. A lot people think he does this to piss of reporters and other teams. But in reality, at least thats what i heard jimmy johnson say once on fox ,its his gripe against the league.Especially Brady being on it all the time.Iam sure his dressing has some valid reason we will never know. People just assume he likes to wear a ragged hoodie because thats his personality.

If you look at the game day pictures from January's Chargers game, you'll see a picture of BB from a few hours before game time--where he looks quite dapper, in a suit and tie and everything.

And, then, of course, come showtime . . . it's Hoodie-time! :)

Watching a BB press conference is like watching "Rocky Horror Picture Show". You know all the lines, you know what's coming next, and you sing along. I even have a hoodie to dress up in. And that's why we love him.

You get to hear the amusing BB on his Monday WEEI radio apperance. The Big Show guys ask a few obligatory stupid press questions of the day. BB gives them the stock non-answer.

Then they move on to actual football discussions. Yes, I know this is WEEI but some real football discussion ensues. Even with Smerlas there. BB is quite relaxed and funny (to my sense of humor) in this format.

Last edited:

I've said this in another thread, but BB dislikes the injury report because it does nothing to help his team. Why would any coach give out information on his players' availability the week before a game? He wouldn't. The NFL mandates this to warn the networks who will be showing the games and to help set the Vegas line (although gambling is illegal :rolleyes: ). I think he hates being forced to dress up in NFL gear, so -- as has been stated before on this site -- he's telling the league, fine, I'll wear your gear, just let me make a few.... adjustments. :singing:

Another injury report incident happened in 2005 after the Atlanta game, when Michael Vick had been listed as "questionable" but didn't play. (Schaub lit up the Pats that game, btw.) The next week, every Pats player on the report was listed as "questionable", much to the league's dismay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots