PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who needs a good belly laugh? Brad Childress

Status
Not open for further replies.
With his 16 receptions for 376 yards as a senior?
That's 5 games. Projecting over 11 games (how many Harvin played) gives :

35-827

Harvin was 40-644.

That's 5 games. Projecting over 11 games (how many Harvin played) gives :

35-827

Harvin was 40-644.

Except you can't project a full season from 5 games. Do you expect Carlos Pena or Carlos Quentin to hit 75 home runs this year because they've hit 7 or 8 in 18 games?

A 5 game sample size is too small to judge anything.

Except you can't project a full season from 5 games.
Agreed. But you also can't give stats from 5 games as if they're from a full season.

5 games is half a season, or half of what Harvin played anyway.

I am fully confident that Tate IF HEALTHY is a better WR prospect than Harvin. That doesn't mean I'd prefer Tate as he stands right now but I surely would take a 3rd round Tate over a 1st round Harvin.

Except you can't project a full season from 5 games. Do you expect Carlos Pena or Carlos Quentin to hit 75 home runs this year because they've hit 7 or 8 in 18 games?

Yet you used it to deride the guy: "With his 16 receptions for 376 yards as a senior?" Hmm......

Before getting hurt Tate averaged 75.2 YPG receiving. Harvin (in the games he played) averaged 58.5. Harvin had all his running too, but you're talking about receiving here. Of course I would take Harvin over Tate given the ACL injury but I like Tate in the 3rd over Harvin in the 1st and if Tate hadn't hurt his ACL there's a really good chance he'd have been drafted ahead of Harvin.

Agreed. Watch some of the tape on Tate. BB obviously felt he was getting a great value with Tate or he wouldn't have touched him with a 10 foot pole considering the drug test failure at the combine. Tate could end up the steal of the draft.

YouTube - Brandon Tate

Agreed. Watch some of the tape on Tate. BB obviously felt he was getting a great value with Tate or he wouldn't have touched him with a 10 foot pole considering the drug test failure at the combine. Tate could end up the steal of the draft.

YouTube - Brandon Tate
Charley Casserly said scouts compare him to Eddie Royal (when Tate was healthy, of course).

Last edited:
Charley Casserly said scouts compare him to Eddie Royal (when Tate was healthy, of course).

As long as Tate keeps his nose clean and stays healthy, I think we're going to really like what we get from this kid. He looks like an explosive player, both on offense and special teams.

Great find, BOR. That was a nice little pick me up for Monday morning.

Question, though...WHY does Childress dislike BB so much? It seems like every year he's making some dumb comment or another about him. Is it just because of the Monday Night whooping we put on them a few years ago, or is there something more?

I think it stems from some sort of tampering, or roster issue with some player. I know Garrett Mills was part of the mess.

BTW, love your sig. It's up there with SoonerPatriots.

Even funnier is what would have happened on this board if we had drafted Harvin at 23.

:popcorn:

Yet you used it to deride the guy: "With his 16 receptions for 376 yards as a senior?" Hmm......

Thats what he had.

yes, he was hurt, but the argument that hes an established receiver is ridiculous. He's a kick returner who MIGHT be a WR.

I think the Patriots were interested in Harvin, but I am not sure they were interested him at no.23. They wouldn't have went and worked the kid out during the week leading up to the draft without legitimate interest (Even if you believe they would take the time to do a smokescreen, I doubt they'd use one of Urban Meyers players to do it). I think it's possible the late workout was due to the Pats considering taking Harvin if he fell to 34. As early as Thursday, rumors started circulating that the Vikings would take Harvin and by late Friday night most every major outlet had a story about the Vikings targeting Harvin. If the Patriots badly wanted Harvin, it wouldn't have been hard to move up 2 spots and take him ahead of Minnesota.

Brad Childress was out of line (again) talkling about what other teams were interested in/trying to do in the draft. There was nothing wrong at all with Childress claiming Garrett Mills a few years ago, but there was something wrong with him detailing his conversation with Belichick on the radio.

Thats what he had.

yes, he was hurt, but the argument that hes an established receiver is ridiculous. He's a kick returner who MIGHT be a WR.

So if a guy gets hurt, and misses half a season, he's no longer an established player? Taking this point out to a a bit of an extreme to illustrate its absurdity, doesn't that mean that Tom Brady is not an established QB? After all, he didn't even throw for a single touchdown last season!

I agree that he's unproven, but that's because of the injury- he was a difference-maker when healthy.

Last edited:
Did anyone see Childress on ESPN sat? He was giving an interview about why they chose Harvin.

Childress was asked about his vetting process of Harvin. His reply I went down there sat with his family & looked him in the eye. He went on to say one of the things he likes about Harvin is "he has a great smile" :confused:

I'm not making this up!

That is right up there with his comment on how Rosenfelds is a "younger Frerotte." Ugh..... I really hate Childress.

I find it amazing as I read through this forum as no one...has mentioned that this could have been remotely possible.

Listen, I think Brad Childress is an idiot, who talks about others people's business to try and justify his actions.

But when you look at the evidence it isn't totally impossible that this actuallly happened.

We all know BB took very little value to move down from 23 to 26. So at the very least we know that the player the Pats wanted with that pick was not there. I don't think its totally irrational to say because WR isn't a huge need BB didn't think it made sense to trade up for this guy. So we don't know if Harvin was the guy or not....it could have been English, Ayers, or any other guy picked before 23....but given BB relationship with Urban Myer, and the fact that the Pats did work him out, I think its crazy to say this wasn't going to happen, that it is impossible. We will never know for sure, but to totally dismiss it is ludicrous.

it's certainly possible, but thank christ childress did us a solid on that one.

frankly, if it wasn't minnesota, I'd say childress just got scammed by a 20 yr old who wanted to help his own draft stock.
but wtf would want to go to minnesota?

Childress "stole" Percy just like the Jets "stole" Dewayne Robertson in 2003 (when Belichick let them think they needed to blow TWO draft picks to move up to #4 - and nearly convinced them to trade up to #2 to thwart BB's plans to move up to #3.

The Patriots had to settle for Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork as compensation for those two draft picks.

I can't remember how Robertson turned out... I'm having a problem finding him on the Jets depth chart.

I find it amazing as I read through this forum as no one...has mentioned that this could have been remotely possible.
Of course it's POSSIBLE. But Minnesota was a strong possibility for Harvin all along - if Belichick wanted him he'd have gotten him. Cleveland kept trading down two spots for sixth round picks so the cost was low if we'd wanted him.

All I mean to say is this thread is full of people saying....Wow BB really screwed with them, and frankly, we don't and can't know that. We have no idea if that actually weighed on the decision of the Vikes. Childress said we could have taken them but that easily could have been to justify his pick more than anything based in fact.

I guess this is my long winded way of saying I think the conversation would have been better if we analyzed and talked about the merits of taking him 23, the merits of trading up to get him, whether or not he fits the system...etc.

Anyone going to take a gamble and guess how long Harvin actually lasts in the league?

I give him one bad injury before he implodes. He is no TO or Moss and with an ego like his he will be out of football in a few years. They got hosed with him in the first round, hose all the way to Harvin's bank.

I'll take the quality of Tate over the money for Harvin. Tate has a few years to move into the position, Harvin would have to move in right away. Tate will have the luxury of actually learning from the best of the best in both his position and at quarterback while Harvin has second tier coordinators and coachs and third tier players to learn from.

I'll take the developmental guy with a strong upside than Harvin. Childress can laugh it all off when he is fired next January.

Last edited:
hilarious take from pft
ProFootballTalk.com - Childress Brags About Plucking Percy From The Pats

Brad, before you wear a groove in your back (that’s our move, by the way), consider this (and we’re gonna wear a groove in our back for a moment): We were able to find out without the application of much elbow grease that the Jets at No. 17 and the Vikings at No. 22 were regarded as the teams most likely to take Harvin in round one. Our sources (who were right on the money, given that the Jets moved up to No. 5 to get Mark Sanchez and then reportedly tried to get the 21st pick in order to pluck Harvin) said not a single word about the Pats taking Harvin.

So maybe, just maybe, Belichick applied the same Vulcan mind trick on the Vikings and the Jets that Belichick played against the Jets last year, when New York took linebacker Vernon Gholston while perched at No. 6, one spot ahead of the Patriots. Belichick then traded down several spots and picked up linebacker Jerod Mayo, who far and away was the better player in 2008.

Think of it this way. Who’s in a better position to get to the truth about Harvin than Belichick, who counts among his close friends Florida coach Urban Meyer? The fact that Belichick didn’t leap frog the Vikings at No. 22 tells us all we need to know.

If our speculation in this regard is accurate, Belichick’s grift is complete, and perfect. The guy who’s crowing about snookering the other guy is actually the guy who got swindled.

Cue Marvin Hamlisch.
:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill