Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who Makes Money in the Market? Politicians Do and Here's the Proof

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Sep 30, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +444 / 11 / -14

Crony capitalism at it greediest. People in congress with access not available to investors make out in the markets. Regulations, tax codes and taxpayer $$$ impact profits and share prices.

Who Makes Money in the Market? Politicians Do and Here's the Proof - John Ransom - Townhall Finance

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

This deserves an OFFICIAL investigation....

The people of this country need to know if our congress men & women really do earn much higher than average returns on their stock portfolio.

Something even tells me they shouldn't even be allowed to invest in the stock market just because of the information they have access to.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

See the Grand Iquisitor of the Pig Circus, Darrell Issa.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

There needs to be far greater transparency with regard to the finances all politicians, at both the state and federal levels. In fact, I think that should be true for officers and board members of corporations as well, where corruption is even more rampant than in state houses.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Kinda explains why politicians at the highest levels are willing to spend a fortune and drag their families through the pig sty that is the cable news machine. I'm betting the spouse and the kids are all for it considering the rewards at the end.

6. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Rick Perry may be his right hand man.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +444 / 11 / -14

Of course this is a problem spanning BOTH parties. But some people are incapable of seeing beyond blind partisanship. Pathetic as usual.

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Seriously PF13, only a fool sees every issue as right or left AND view their side as the side of righteousness...not that I'm referring to anyone in particular.

I just think this country has a lot of fools...

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +444 / 11 / -14

Some people find power as intoxicating as $$$$. I think it was Limbaugh that said politics is Hollywood for ugly people, a bit of truth there egos and all.

10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Are you people serious?

Is it really such a shock that people smart enough to get themselves elected to high public office are a whopping 6.6% better at investing in the stock market than the average investor?

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +444 / 11 / -14

They are doing better than Wall St players who know 'more' about the markets than lawyers who spend their time acquiring power. What makes you think they have that much knowledge of business?

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +769 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

13. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Absolutely spans both sides of the aisle. The problem is when a person speaks out against an opposing party they are seen as blind. George Bush was involved with inside trading. The case was a slam-dunk. Bush, like O.J. Simpson were found innocent, thus were exonerated from their crimes. How someone interprets those two cases is interesting.
    The ego also plays a role in politics (funny how you use Rush's analogy). Edward Kennedy spent his entire career trying to provide people with medical care. When Carter proposed a program to provide coverage for everyone, Kennedy got enough support to shoot it down (the program was supposedly better then the one Nixon proposed and the current one).

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

According to this logic, George Bush must be one of the most brilliant men in the country since he was "smart enough" to get elected to the highest office in the land twice.

15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agreed. It's pathetic how a thread you started in a completely non-partisan fashion about an issue that obviously impacts both sides of the aisle had responses from 3 local liberals in here who were all too eager to jump in and plant as much blame as they could on the republican of their choice while gladly turning a blind eye to their own party's transgressions.

Their constant blame-others-first mentality is part of what is destroying our country. It's only corruption when a republican does it! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Focusing on the 6.6% figure is missing the point. The end result is what you need to focus on. These losers end up with 300% or so more than you when it's all said and done. Your investment earns $589k over the 17 years, these corrupt mofo's end up with close to $1.6 million. There is something very eye opening about that. At least to me there is. This would definately be something worth investigating.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I think what sdaniels missed is that 6% per year over 17 years is a HUGE difference. If my returns outperform your by 6% consistently over 17 years, then either I have a brilliant advisor or you have a lousy one...or even both.

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. If you're talking about 1 guy and looking at 1 year, 6% is just a statistical blip. When you're talking about hundreds of people outperforming the market by 6% annually for almost 2 decades, that is a huge deviation from the norm. It's far too much to be explained away by simple standard deviation.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  19. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That statement is claimed, but not supported in the link. All it says is that they're doing 6.6% better than the average investor. I could jump into the market tomorrow and lose a fortune (because I don't know anything about it) and all it would do is indicate my ignorance except to you where it would be clear proof that all of congress is even more corrupt.

20. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah its called compounded interest.

The way i see it is that y'all are making an unsubstantiated claim that congress stole a matchbox car 20 years ago and to top it off you wanna charge 'em with grand theft auto. Cute.