2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who knows more about the Pats

• The local sports media

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Me

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don't but this board does (minus a few knuckleheads)

Votes: 50 62.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words you can't back up your claim.

No, in other words, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with a bunch of people who bash every single reporter/analyst that ever dares to disagree with the Patriots front office.

No, in other words, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with a bunch of people who bash every single reporter/analyst that ever dares to disagree with the Patriots front office.

Thank you for proving what we suspected in the first place.

Years ago I'd say me, but life got busier so I don't follow the team like I used to. Still, it doesn't take much reading here to know that the other posters have the best handle on the team.

Regards,
Chris

Thank you for proving what we suspected in the first place.

Oh, please.... BradyFTW! had already given 3 easy examples. I responded following that.

However, your response does serve to reinforce my position:

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with a bunch of people who bash every single reporter/analyst that ever dares to disagree with the Patriots front office.

Now, have yourself a nice Sunday evening.

Basically, the Patriots are a tight lipped organization. It would be difficult to gain the trust of such an organization and few have. Reiss has obviously done that and seems to continue to have sources there. This has caused some to accuse him of being a suckup or toadie and I'm sure such accusations keep him awake at night.:D

The Patriots are not a government organization and have no ethical duty to provide information unless they think it is beneficial to their private business.

In the past, writers like Borges have developed sources by prodding disgruntled players in contract negotiations, or those with bad press elsewhere, basically the worst type of stories for team unity.

He still tries to do it with every contract problem he can find, but it doesn't work because Belichick doesn't rise to the bait and makes personnel decisions exclusive of media opinions.

Some writers would like to have the right to break sensational, poorly sourced, speculative stories that damage the team (tub of goo Tomase) but still get inside information. Good luck with that.

Reiss works to maintain communication and resists the urge for sensationalism. Since 99% of sensationalist scoops don't help the team, the organization has apparently decided they would rather a winning organization with a bad reputation in the media than the opposite. Dissension sells papers and disrupts successful teams, so I like their choice.

Last edited:
It depends really, when it comes to being negative about the team in certain aspects, I feel the fans appear to know more than the reporters, just because on a message board like this the fans can say what they want and how they truly feel without the risk of getting alienated by the Patriots media staff and have a press pass revoked, etc.

In terms of analyzing a specific player, or games, I'd have to give it to people in the media, seeing as well, that is their job and they should be giving all their effort and energy into knowing the team inside and out.

With regard to breaking news about players, this board as a whole know more than the local sports media, but not the national sports media.

If people want to opine that the knowledge here is greater than with ex-players who still keep in contact with the players and coaches, that's their right as citizens in our society. I happen to disagree. I'll leave it at that.

I can sure agree with you relative to ex-players and their connections to the game( current players coaches, etc), not to mention their knowledge of the game from a perspective that most in here (me included) will truly never understand, totally. About the only thing worth reading and listening to these days is indeed that group.

However, it stops there and I do believe most of us certainly have more knowledge about the game and what goes on than most all of the beat writers, journalists, tv & radio personalities.

I mean come on - what does , SMY, felger, tomase, breer, mazz, walker, gasper, guregian, rappaport, fairinault, lynch, dan rea, etc have over any one of us? The best of the sorry lot are reiss, price and very few others (borges has real knowledge but his anti patriot and BB bias ruined him in this town).

So Bruschi, Harrison, and Brown. Fair enough.

This.

Tedy Bruschi's chats with Mike Reiss are very informative, really love reading them.

Brown is pretty decent too but Harrison is not so good for me, he is doing his level best to look impartial and says some things that I know he doesn't believe as a result.

Who knows more about the Pats?

This is way too much of a loaded question. Fans of any team, especially a successful one, can have the most biased opinions on Earth. You may as well ask who knows more about a child, the parents or the third grade teacher. It all depends on the perspective, how brutally honest you want to be, etc.

Obviously, any hardcore fan of any team is going to follow that team more closely than most people outside of their geographic region, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they know how to analyze what they see. At the same time, there is a lot of projection on football situations by everybody that follows the sport. There is no predicting the future with any certainty.

Also, the media has more inside connections than people on message boards, I would assume. But, at the same time, most pro football people are like politicians while dealing with the media, always trying to put the most positive spin as possible.

I'd say that the only people that really know what's going on within an organization are those in charge...and that's only if they know what they are doing.

So Bruschi, Harrison, and Brown. Fair enough.
Analysts as opposed to journalists. I'd like to draw that distinction in the media group.

Last edited:
Analysts as opposed to journalists. I'd like to draw that distinction in the media group.

Actually, Bruschi has done his fair share of writing since joining ESPN.

Patjew, your posts so often reflect my thoughts that I hardly have to post at all.

Thanks, that's nice of you to say. My knowledge of football isn't even close to great. I like to think of myself as an extremely dedicated and optimistic fan, traits I have in common with most of this board. I just happen to be very crass and sarcastic, too.

If you were a Roman you'd be Crassus...

Crassus.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say I know more than the mediots. But more than this board? With people like Jay and Miguel of Patscap, there's people here that are way more entwined with the actual inter workings of the franchise than I am.

Just watching NECN Sunday sports out of boredom and apparently Comcast has taken that over too and Felger is the host. He and Curran were just discussing whether the offense or defense was more concerning and after Felger bloviated about unproven rookies and old guys at the receiving positions, Curran suggested after he's had a chance to see them in camp he might have a different opinion. See, that's the thing. Felger doesn't have time to attend camp or be in locker rooms or around teams or their management because he is spread too thin managing Mike Felger's far ranging multi media career. And the foundation of that career has been built on critical flippancy and raising his voice to a staccato level it's difficult to rationaly overcome. He overwhelms/dominates lesser talent. He wilts when matched up with anyone who has the courage of their conviction that they know miles more than he does about whatever he's bloviating about...which is primarily opinion as opposed to insight since he has no remaining basis for providing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back