2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who knows more about the Pats

• The local sports media

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Me

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don't but this board does (minus a few knuckleheads)

Votes: 50 62.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The media actually knows quite a bit about the Pats but sometimes they are forced to write certain articles with certain slants to appease their management
Good point, I agree.

A couple days ago I was listening to the PFW guys online, and the subject matter turned to the local media. Not surprisingly, Ron Borges' name was one of the first that came up. Their opinion was that when it comes to actual football knowledge, Borges was one of the best their is.

They thought the problem with Borges is that he too often gets away from facts and the game itself, and interjects his own strong opinions. They felt there were two specific areas where he too often strays off course: first, anything to do with Belichick; and second, anything to do with contracts or player/union versus team/management discussions. The problem is that he is so opinionated about labor issues and his personal dislike of BB that it unfortunately vastly overshadows his football knowledge, which is actually superior to most if not all other local media members.

Newspapers and their reporters care about selling papers, not reporting the news. If nothing is juicy enough, they spin it until it is, and it's the same with a lot of radio personalities.

While I will feel bad for all (well, most) effected employment wise, I think the Globe could close it's doors tomorrow and it wouldn't really matter.

"Tabloid "journalism".

They thought the problem with Borges is that he too often gets away from facts and the game itself, and interjects his own strong opinions. They felt there were two specific areas where he too often strays off course: first, anything to do with Belichick; and second, anything to do with contracts or player/union versus team/management discussions. The problem is that he is so opinionated about labor issues and his personal dislike of BB that it unfortunately vastly overshadows his football knowledge, which is actually superior to most if not all other local media members.

Borges = character flaw.

I don't know how football smart Borges is, but he clearly knew enough to tear into BB for drafting Richard Seymour and Matt Light. Neither of those guys will ever amount to anything in the NFL! Maybe that was the BB virus eating at his brain again.

Yes it IS a range but I disagree with your 1st statement. Combined. That puts Miguel and several others in the pool. NFW does even one of the locals equal the aggregate Pats knowhow of this board. Old timers here with detailed memories of past teams and situations have knowhow too.

I'd cede access to insider player info, some of it not for publication and obviously unknown to us, to some in the media but that's about it. I don't read much detailed analysis about plays, breakdowns of competitive matchups that make sense and impart new information or anything really new from the locals.

Where I was impressed with football knowhow was SIRIUS radio's "Moving the Chains" Saturday where I listened for the 1st time. Good prep on Pats specifics by n0n-locals.

Yep this seems to be spot on. IMO i would stack our best and brightest vs the media's best and brightest and there would not be to much difference except that they likely look better, sound better, or at one point actually played better (though the former players probably seperate the two groups). The former players obviously would have better scheme knowledge but they might not know the history as well in every case.

By the way, did the Globe let high talking Mazzarotti write on the Patriots just to aggravate me? I can't get through two sentences of one of his crapfests without wanting to throw something at my screen.

CHB Shaughnessy looks like an objective reporter compared to him

Yes of course, as soon as the a ratings bump was observed after Pukarotti called out patriots fans, the globe decided to let him continue writing his babble that makes no sense but pisses us off.

They think we will buy their papers again or something - wrong again, I used to buy the Globe everyday and as a result, support the advertisers. I no longer buy their papers and hardly read them online, hence the sponsors are wasting their cash.

My information comes from reiss, patriots.com and this website which brings me a pretty darn "fair & balanced" presentation of things.

I can read and listen to the same thing the mediots do and draw my own conclusion as opposed to what they think I should be thinking.

I used to watch, listen and read all media to be entertained & informed - I have found over the past few years that none of it happens anymore, so I just wrote em all off. Other than watching sports shows for the highlights and listening to the excellent group on nfl sirius radio and Dale & holley - there is very little left worth viewing or listening to for me.

I used to watch, listen and read all media to be entertained & informed - I have found over the past few years that none of it happens anymore, so I just wrote em all off. Other than watching sports shows for the highlights and listening to the excellent group on nfl sirius radio and Dale & holley - there is very little left worth viewing or listening to for me.

Same here. Maybe an older guy thing?

Last edited:
Quite obvioiusly several people on this board know a lot more about the Pats players than anyone else, including BB.

Thanks space, I'm way too humble to mention myself.:cool:

There are some members of the local media who probably know more about the Patriots then every single member of this board combined. On the other hand, there are some members of the local media who seemingly barely bother to learn more than the names of the players.

It's a range, not a data point.

total BS and sort of makes me wonder what your agenda is.

Name them.

Borges = character flaw.

I don't know how football smart Borges is, but he clearly knew enough to tear into BB for drafting Richard Seymour and Matt Light. Neither of those guys will ever amount to anything in the NFL! Maybe that was the BB virus eating at his brain again.

That was a double whammy- BB and the front office.

Frankly when Miguel's site is being used by the mediots for their research that alone should say something about the wealth of knowledge here...

I'd put actual eye witnesses to thousands of Patriots games with accumulated statistics and firsthand recollections of Patriots teams of the past up against the guys who compromised their integrity for a promotion who are more concerned with putting out a story first than reporting the truth.

total BS and sort of makes me wonder what your agenda is.

Name them.

I have no agenda. You are free to disagree with my opinion all you wish, though. Have a nice day.

I have no agenda. You are free to disagree with my opinion all you wish, though. Have a nice day.

I am kinda curious to know which reporters you think know more than everyone here combined.

Last edited:
the funny part is that the pats are so good at hideing injurys and trades and player. signing that i don't think anyone realy knows but BB and the front office.

I am kinda curious to know which reporters you think know more than everyone here combined.

If people want to opine that the knowledge here is greater than with ex-players who still keep in contact with the players and coaches, that's their right as citizens in our society. I happen to disagree. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Yes of course, as soon as the a ratings bump was observed after Pukarotti called out patriots fans, the globe decided to let him continue writing his babble that makes no sense but pisses us off.

They think we will buy their papers again or something - wrong again, I used to buy the Globe everyday and as a result, support the advertisers. I no longer buy their papers and hardly read them online, hence the sponsors are wasting their cash.

I understood that reasoning back when everybody read the paper, or sometime two. You get the same info after a while, so sensationalism grabs attention.

Nowadays it's really niche audiences, which in their case would be football fans for football articles.

I can't imagine one day I will say, "I wonder if there is some uninformed nonsense intended to piss me off in the Globe or the Herald"? lol

I hate ESPN, but it's so easy just to put Reiss in a search box, or follow links from here to the occasional good articles wherever.

...But they're the media geniuses, not me.:rolleyes:

If people want to opine that the knowledge here is greater than with ex-players who still keep in contact with the players and coaches, that's their right as citizens in our society. I happen to disagree. I'll leave it at that.

In other words you can't back up your claim.

Last edited:

Borges had some great inside info on Bledsoe's harvest this year. The Merlot should be spectacular.:D

So Bruschi, Harrison, and Brown. Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back