PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who just lost their job? Other random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are right but that puts Springs in the Duane Starks catagory in the "worst signing in history" status doesnt it?

Worst signing in history? Shawn Springs? :confused:

We didn't trade anything at all for him. We didn't give up a huge contract and have to cut more promising players for cap reasons. We didn't turn down good prospects in the draft because we were convinced Springs was the answer. Springs didn't get arrested, or set fire to the locker room.
I'd say it was a routine vet signing that didn't really pan out but wasn't disastrous, either, and leaves zero damage behind. What's the big deal?

Or to put it another way: last year BB brought in 2 vets and a 2nd-round rookie to address the totally depleted CB corps. One of the vets and the rookie both look good and are projected to start as 1-2 this year. That's a pretty good hit rate, no?

As for the folks who are saying McCourty is an admission of total failure on multiple past picks -- it's an admission of failure on exactly one, Wheatley. Assuming the new guy is as advertised, Butler & McCourty will both be "starters." Wilhite will be solid depth, which is perfectly fine return on his draft status. Wheatley looks like a bust. So that's one bust out of 4 picks.

Starks was a trade. Springs was a FA signing just overpaid, but at the time we didn't have anyone to play CB, and safety depth was weak. So they are similar, but I wouldn't put springs in the worst signing category. He wasn't paid that much (ie Thomas)

Springs got paid $3 MILLION for playing how many games? How many plays did he make during the time on the field? Anyone seeing the Marshall coverage sees how badly he was burned in that game. Starks was a trade, but he didnt make anywhere near $3M/yr and he played more games....Bang for your buck Springs(assuming posthumously)was the worst signing EVER!

As for the folks who are saying McCourty is an admission of total failure on multiple past picks -- it's an admission of failure on exactly one, Wheatley. Assuming the new guy is as advertised, Butler & McCourty will both be "starters." Wilhite will be solid depth, which is perfectly fine return on his draft status. Wheatley looks like a bust. So that's one bust out of 4 picks.
I don't see how it's an admission of anything until we see all the DBs on the practice field. I will admit to being puzzled by Wheatley's apparent drop-off, but I'm not ready to write him off until Bill does. NE lost playing time from Springs, Butler, Wilhite, and Wheatley last season, injuries to CBs has been an ongoing problem since 2003, it just all combines to point out the need for good depth - and that's before we factor in the new receivers in the division. Also, isn't Wheatley PSquad eligible yet?

Last edited:
I vote Springs, in a big way.

As for whether this was planned, there are a couple of possibilities. Maybe those who said the Pats wanted Matthews or Gresham were right, so BB didn't perceive value left. Or maybe Reiss was right that CB was the plan all along with Kareem Jackson. As the draft shook out, CB is probably the position with the biggest talent dropoff heading into round 2. And the only kind of CB who would improve the team was a 3rd quality, starting-caliber player, not just another depth guy. So 1st round or never?

I wanted Kyle Wilson, but either way I'm happy at the thought of 3 genuine quality CBs. That used to be a total luxury in the NFL, but not any more. They'll be on the field together plenty.

Completely agree. Didn't dress several games last season, bigger cap number, age, attitude, etc.

Here is another way to think about it.....BB targets players and if they arent there he trades back as we all will agree. I would suggest that if he is put into a pinch and has to draft a guy (no guy he wants/cant trade back)its always a DB! Think of all the poor drafts and think of all the DBs we got in them, makes sense right? Maybe he thinks they are a "safer pick", who knows. But looking at it logically it makes sense. Not to say everything is logical...:confused:

Slater, we spent our first round pick on replacing Slater as the gunner.........

Thats it, this kid won't see the field any other time.

I take it youve never seen Devin Play...2 years this kid will be starting and I honestly believe he has pro bowl potential. Id like to see his man to man and ball skills improve though.

Springs, maybe (if BB decides he doesn't need the "veteran presence" any longer). Wheatley, maybe (if he's healthy and still doesn't show anything significantly improved in camp). However, taking all DBs together as a unit, the guy most likely to be gone - or banished to special teams (coverage), at least, is McGowan. The knock-on effect is that Slater may be gone unless BB likes him better than Lockett.

McCourty, I think, immediately begins challenging for the nickel/dime role and eventually starts as either CB or FS, and gets time as a returner/gunner.

McCourty, I think, immediately begins challenging for the nickel/dime role and eventually starts as either CB or FS, and gets time as a returner/gunner.
I'll be surprised if McCourty gets rushed into the games, BB usually doesn't start giving CBs significant reps until mid-season, I expect McCourty to get a similar work-up.

IMHO if Crable stays, Wheatley stays... for no other reason than where they were picked. Take that from a well-informed pats fan who knows absolutely nothing.

I'll be surprised if McCourty gets rushed into the games, BB usually doesn't start giving CBs significant reps until mid-season, I expect McCourty to get a similar work-up.

Agreed, that's the likely scenario. What I had in mind was something like the path that Chung had last season. Maybe a few more snaps based on what I perceive as the more immediate positional weakness at CB. In terms of "challenging" and "starting", I meant in the nickel/dime role, nothing more. So, somewhere in the 200-250 snaps range (Chung got 195).

Personally getting tired of seeing the backs of Wilhites and Wheatleys jerseys as they chase receivers downfield, often there is talk of "bridge players" and Springs may fall into that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes