PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is your favorite 1st round "non-need" pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hey guys. Today is my first time back on the board since Hurricane Ike put a damper on things. Life has been back to normal for a while now but I hadn't visited in so long I just didn't get back into the habit.

Anyway, IMO, outside of QB and special teams, there isn't a position we can take in the 1st round that won't improve this team. (assuming the players proves deserving of the pick) Obviously we have bigger needs than others. OLB, WR and clearly TE are the most obvious. But some great picks have been made when teams passed on "need." (the Titans took heat for passing on WRs to take RB Chris Johnson)

I'm like most. I want to see us take someone like Graham, Kindle, Dunlap or Golden Tate. I want to feel better about one of our weak spots. However, I'm not against us bringing in anybody that improves us.

My favorite "non-need" pick is Earl Thomas. With his versatility, he's a guy you find a way to get on the field. He's a playmaker and he does it in the big games too. He doesn't have padded stats against scrub teams. We're not hurting in the secondary but it's not like we couldn't get better.

He's also a good character guy as well. He plays piano for his grandfather's church. My neighbor is friends with a couple of teachers he had in high school and they talk about what a delight he was.

Again, I want OLB bad. BAD! But he's one of those guys I'd have trouble being upset about if his name was called.

About damned time, slacker.

Non-need? Tim Tebow. :) Or maybe one of the CBs Kyle Wilson or Devin McCourty.

C.J. Spiller

Some would say RB is a need, but I don't. Certainly not one worth giving a huge guaranteed contract to.

Hey guys. Today is my first time back on the board since Hurricane Ike put a damper on things. Life has been back to normal for a while now but I hadn't visited in so long I just didn't get back into the habit.

Anyway, IMO, outside of QB and special teams, there isn't a position we can take in the 1st round that won't improve this team. (assuming the players proves deserving of the pick) Obviously we have bigger needs than others. OLB, WR and clearly TE are the most obvious. But some great picks have been made when teams passed on "need." (the Titans took heat for passing on WRs to take RB Chris Johnson)

I'm like most. I want to see us take someone like Graham, Kindle, Dunlap or Golden Tate. I want to feel better about one of our weak spots. However, I'm not against us bringing in anybody that improves us.

My favorite "non-need" pick is Earl Thomas. With his versatility, he's a guy you find a way to get on the field. He's a playmaker and he does it in the big games too. He doesn't have padded stats against scrub teams. We're not hurting in the secondary but it's not like we couldn't get better.

He's also a good character guy as well. He plays piano for his grandfather's church. My neighbor is friends with a couple of teachers he had in high school and they talk about what a delight he was.

Again, I want OLB bad. BAD! But he's one of those guys I'd have trouble being upset about if his name was called.

How about Maurkice Pouncey Florida

Sean Weatherspoon. If I was running a 43 program, I'd be all over the kid. Tough, heady, excellent burst, tackles with authority, fluid hips, plants well in transition, total package. Could play Will or Mike in the 43. Stud.

How about Maurkice Pouncey Florida

Stole my thunder here! It is not a need while Koppen is healthy but he has been getting beaten up last coupla years..... I would be OK with a Pouncey Pick-Up!

Taylor Mays

Jahvid Best. He'll probably have 6 games of 200 total yards (including returns) as a rookie, making a lot of people look really stupid.

Eric Berry
Joe Haden
Earl Thomas

Sean Weatherspoon. If I was running a 43 program, I'd be all over the kid. Tough, heady, excellent burst, tackles with authority, fluid hips, plants well in transition, total package. Could play Will or Mike in the 43. Stud.

In one.

Washington as well, he was utterly superb at the Combine and has had me watching a bit more tape.

I gotta go with Mt. Cody. With Vince back in the fold, Brace drafted high last year and Pryor and Richard as young developing players no way do we need another NT, and NO, we arent going to be a 4-3 team.

Ryan Matthews, I guess. Although I'd just as soon take Tate in the second. I think Earl Thomas is probably the right choice. I mean, what position can we say isn't a need. Quarterback. Safety. Nose Tackle. Kicker. Long Snapper. Arguably cornerback and running back. I guess if Claussen fell to #22, he'd be a luxury pick as a backup QB.

Pouncy.......

okung or bradford or berry

So few positions that are non-needs. I would agree with Spiller as the pick, but I think an additional set of young legs in the backfield is a need. My non-need choice is Earl Thomas (it would be Eric Berry, but there is zero chance of him being available). Thomas would provide playmaking at safety that the Patriots lack. Could Brandon Meriweather play the "star" position in the nickel as he did in his rookie year? That would allow us to start Meriwather at SS, Thomas at FS and then in the nickel use Chung and Thomas at S with Meriweather in that nickel/star role. That would be the best amount of use we could get of 3 safeties taken that high. I think it's a luxury we couldn't afford, but I really hope either Meriweather or Chung becomes an elite safety. When you draft safeties where the Pats drafted these guys, the should become significant playmakers. Meriweather made some great plays last year, but also some horrible plays and was very streaky overall. I certainly don't think he played at a Pro Bowl level.

Mike Iupati: Massive beast but pleasant personality (off the field).

Joe Haden: Great hands but questions about speed

Thomas would be my pick. Matthews would be the second one if we can trade Maroney.

Golden Tate. Like him a lot. but not 1 worthy..... w/ my 1.. I want Gresham.

Solid player...... but our WR corps is fine and Welker will be back in the future.
TE is a position of need...... more so than WR.

I can make an argument that w/Jermaine Gresham our WR's will become better. Gresham is a catching threat at the TE position. He is also 6-6 w/ good hands.
He brings versatility to a predictable Patriot offense.

Golden Tate out.... Gresham in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots