PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the 'sleeper' player this season - There is at least ALWAYS one

Status
Not open for further replies.
He sure was - Did you really think he was going to end up as the #2 leading receiver and grab over 1,000 yards receiving by this very time last year?

If you did, you are either a psychic or lying that you did think this.

Wes was looked at like a nice KR with an upside of being a dangerous 3rd and long receiver - No one,including me expecting much more,especially in his first season as a Patriot.

Uhhhhhh....he was the best slot reciever in football for two years before the Patriots picked him up. I remember going stone cold ape sh*t running around the office when I saw they got him. I'm fairly certain that anyone who saw Welker play knew what kind of player the Patriots were getting. When they got him I said, "Awesome, we just got a 26 year old version of 2001 Troy Brown". I'm not a psychic, I just like football and know a legit player when I see one.

But to answer the question, Victor Hobson will be the "sleeper". Meriweather will have a bigger impact on the defense, but everyone knows he will.

I'm actually going to go with Mayo. We all know he'll contribute, but can he do so immediately. And how much impact will he have in the LB corps in his rookie year?

Mine would be UDFA Redd. I don't know whether he will make the team...but a place on the PSqd, in readiness for ST play and development is certainly something that could happen.
As far as Welker went, I wasn't at all surprised by how he fit into the Pats offensive scheme. I always thought he had a great sense of space and if one looked at how he played in games against the Pats, one saw a really tough competitor who always gained yardage after the catch. Sleeper?? No..not at all..better than expected?? Yes..but really not out of the realm of things.

i'm going to echo thomas, he's the first guy i thought when i saw this.

and biggest disappointment player: Hobbs. when i wonder are people on this board going to realize that he isn't very good.

I have to go with Meriweather. His skills have to get him on the field and I hope he had a hand transplant in the offseason. No reason for him to drop that many balls again. Sanders was never in the position to drop that many to begin with.....we have to make up Samuels' INTs somewhere.

Crable. Just a hunch.

To the Welker debate, my buddy is a HUGE Dolphin's fan and he was WELL AWARE of what we got when we signed up Welker. And oh how I loved wtaching football with him last year... lol

Re: Who is the 'sleeper' player this season - There is at least ALWAYS one.

I agree 100% with Dave Thomas. I think if he is healthy he is going to be a killer in this offense. He might not put up big numbers, but I predict he will be CLUTCH and keep drives alive will crucial third-down catches.

If you want to see tons of promise, just look at his first two catches. His first catch went for 29 yards. The next play was a 29-yard pass to Graham . . . and Thomas was right next to Graham (in fact, I thought he was going to pass to Thomas again!).

Thomas' second catch came against the JEST. Somehow, sandwiched between two JEST defenders, Thomas caught the ball, and managed to squeeze out the extra yards needed for the first down. Simply an amazing play (as amazing as his TD grab).

My first thought would be DThomas as well but to be different I'm going to say James Sanders. 4th year but he is only 24 (turns 25 in November). Showed pretty solid year-to-year improvement. Started showing up more in pass defense in 2007. Not a traditional sleeper since he was a starter in 2007, but he looks poised to make a leap this year that I haven't heard anyone talking about. Probably won't be so much in tackles since the Pats have 4 veteran safeties looking for playing time...but I believe he will start playing more instinctively and that will turn him into a playmaker. I look for a significant bounce in the number of turnovers he is involved in...big hits, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, interceptions, tipped balls, etc.

Re: Who is the 'sleeper' player this season - There is at least ALWAYS one.

After February's debacle, BB's camp is probably more no-nonsense than ever. Any player sleeping will probably be CUT to set an example.

- Emily L
I think you're taking the term "sleeper" a little too literally. This only means an as-yet-to-be established player, or perhaps an established player who's not otherwise been a stand-out, who performs above and beyond our expectations.

That said, I think Chad Jackson will bust out this year as teams concentrate on defending against Moss and Welker.

My top candidates are (note, they are very much the same as many posted, but my reasoning is somewhat different) in order:

1.) Victor Hobson - He was totally miscast as an OLB in the 3-4. I think the guy actually has the tools to be a good ILB. Whether he uses those tools will yet to be seen. Montey Beisel had the tools too.
2.) Tank Williams - He was a very good SS prior to his injury. This is the second year after his return from the injury and could be in for a big rebound.
3.) Hobbs - I think the Pats changed their coverage to accomodate Samuels' strong skills of reading reacting, but not being physical. It certainly helped Samuel to go from an average CB to an elite one. I see the Pats readjusting their style to accomodate Hobbs' strong points. Hobbs is far better at man or press coverage than zone. I expect to see more of that and it should help Hobbs to shine.
4.) Chad Jackson - Has the physical tools to be a great WR. Lacked the maturity early. Has been injured. His expectations are pretty low because of it. It is a make or break year for him. He seems to be on track to make rather than break.
5.) Dave Thomas - Shows flashes of brilliance. Needs to stay healthy.

I don't think Meriweather qualifies as a sleeper. He is a first round pick and is expected to be a star on this team. A down rookie season doesn't lower his expectations enough to make him a sleeper. If he struggles this year, he could qualify for a sleeper next year.

Last edited:
The thing with a good veteran team is that there arent many surprises. Considering last year we had only 1 pick make the team, is a sleeper MAKING this team as a FA or cracking the starting lineup as a 1st rd pick?? I think the safety positions are BOTH in flux, I would love to see the OLD TANK show up, and would hope Meriweather got a hand transplant. Hoping for some safety blitzes that GET THERE this year, how many times was Rodney one step too late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back