PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the patriots deep threat this year??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one with "deep threat" speed is Price.

I see tate as more of a 10-15 yd go(branch also).

Ocho is way to slow at this point in his career.

2007 offense was overratedI take this new one night and day over our 2007 variant.

I cannot wait to see all of these uprisings and out lashes and the many jabs thrown at me for coming out of the closet and stating this truth.:cool:

I actually agree that I like the more well-rounded offense now, but the reality is, both were stifled when it mattered.

At least the 07 offense only fell short b/c of fluke plays & bad calls. That Super Bowl was a defensive battle, and the offense scored with 2:30 left to give the defense a lead. That should've been enough in that game.

Not about the deep threat. We need people who can catch in coverage, or don't get taken out with average talent CBs.

Welker is like that, but without a second one, welker will get double teamed and taken out. We need someone in the intermediate to deep routs that can catch in traffic. Someone that always get invited to Revis Island, so that welker can abuse his single coverage.

Last edited:
If you don't have talent on the outside than can run, you do not have a downfield threat- regardless of how powerful the running game is. If the Jets stacked the line with 6-7 players, that left Welker, Branch, etc. with 1:1 coverage, they are still not going 80 yds for a TD. In addition, Tate has not proven himself to be a deep-threat because his route-running and hands are suspect.

True but we got by without that down the field threat all season. We didn't really have a big play threat during the championship years either. Maybe Branch.

If you have a powerful running game it will mean that they will be forced to play more conservative in terms of blitzing Brady and will be forced to use more run heavy personnel. That creates room in the secondary and will give us better match ups.

To me it seemed like they were able to drop alot of guys into coverage and we still couldn't run on them.

Oddly enough, we led the league in scoring without a deep threat.

Nothing odd about it. What people making this sort of argument like to ignore is that Brady went on one of the great runs in NFL QB history following the Browns game. Prior to that game, when Brady was human, the offense was struggling. In the Jets game, when Brady was human, the offense was struggling. The scoring really shows it:

That's before Brady got hot, and we saw the Patriots score fewer than 30 points in 5 of 8 games, and fewer than 20 points twice. After the Browns loss, the next time the Patriots scored fewer than 30 points was the Jets game, which was Brady's next 'human' game.

The Patriots were relying on a superhuman Brady to make up for the lack of a downfield game, a running game that was mostly a non-factor, and a poor defense.

Last edited:
If they trade for DeShean Jackson are we then going to go off about how desperate they are for a RG?

Seriously, While I agree that a deep threat can be added to this team and would help with concerns about that role the panic and negativity about the best offense in the league, when it just added two quality prospects at RB and OL, and already have the highest scoring offense in football is nothing short of ridiculous. I would love to see a Sydney Rice added to the mix and feel that could help, but this team is set right now even if they don't make another move, and they will be in the play-off's and contending for a Championship once again.

It's one thing for fans to look at their team and analyze their strengths and weaknesses, in fact it is one of the things that makes football fun to follow, but the constant teeth gnashing and negativity directed at one of the best franchises in all of pro sports ends up going well beyond this and ends up in the absurd.

Another counter to the Jet's defensive game-plan, would've been a solid outside running game. The team didn't have the speed to manage that. The deep threat is not the only solution.

True but we got by without that down the field threat all season. We didn't really have a big play threat during the championship years either. Maybe Branch.

Yep. Those teams won with defense and a respected running game that produced when it had to- essentially another way of winning football games.

If you have a powerful running game it will mean that they will be forced to play more conservative in terms of blitzing Brady and will be forced to use more run heavy personnel. That creates room in the secondary and will give us better match ups.

To me it seemed like they were able to drop alot of guys into coverage and we still couldn't run on them.

I agree. The Jets flooded the middle of the field and banked on their superior CBs to play 1:1 with Branch and Tate and completely disrespected the Pats running game. A power running game would have helped- but more importantly a gamebreaker in the backfield- which BJGE is not.

Last edited:
Of players you mentioned/implied: (Rec/Yds/Tds, first season unless otherwise noted)
Garcon: 4/23/0 in 14 games
Wayne: 27/345/0 in 13
Driver: 3/31/1 in 6 (1st season), 21/322/1 in 16 (2nd), 13/167/1 in 13 (3rd)
Jackson: 3/59/0 in 8 (1st), 27/453/6 in 16 (2nd), 41/623/3 in 16 (3rd)
White: 29/446/3 in 16 (1st), 30/506/0 in 16 (2nd)
Tate: 0/0/0 in 2 (1st), 24/432/3 in 16 (2nd)

You would have given up on Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, and Donald Driver after their first years too. That's why you're not in charge. Let's not give up on Tate yet.
Spot on! Once again.

Yep. Those teams won with defense and a respected running game that produced when it had to- essentially another way of winning football games.

I agree. The Jets flooded the middle of the field and banked on their superior CBs to play 1:1 with Branch and Tate and completely disrespected the Pats running game. A power running game would have helped- but more importantly a gamebreaker in the backfield- which BJGE is not.

I agree and in this way the Patriots addressed the problems that they had in the Jets loss in the play-offs. like most I have been focused upon the inability to stretch the field in that game and a great Jets gameplan that took away their short to mid range passing game, to beat them the Patriots have to re-evaluate how to approach situations like that and be ready for them. A part of that is a deep threat to make defenses back off, but more important is the ability of the Patriots to run the ball down the throats of teams that go heavy on nickel and dime packages.

Credit to the Jets and Ryan, they outcoached and outplayed the patriots in that game, but imo if they try that again the Patriots will be ready and will run on them all day long and Sanchex will never see the field.

I agree and in this way the Patriots addressed the problems that they had in the Jets loss in the play-offs. like most I have been focused upon the inability to stretch the field in that game and a great Jets gameplan that took away their short to mid range passing game, to beat them the Patriots have to re-evaluate how to approach situations like that and be ready for them. A part of that is a deep threat to make defenses back off, but more important is the ability of the Patriots to run the ball down the throats of teams that go heavy on nickel and dime packages.

Credit to the Jets and Ryan, they outcoached and outplayed the patriots in that game, but imo if they try that again the Patriots will be ready and will run on them all day long and Sanchex will never see the field.

Yep. Although I think the core issue was the fact that the NYJ were up 14-3 21-11 and eventually 28-14. Two score games in the 4th qtr don't actually warrant running the football. On the other hand, TB wasn't exactly lighting it up in the passing game.

I still blame the defense. They didn't make stops when they had to.

Last edited:
I still blame the defense. They didn't make stops when they had to.

That entire game was a ******* mess...from brady's stupid interception,crumpler dropping a TD,chung's blunder, the defense giving up a long ass play(isn't our soft defense supposed to avoid long plays?) after the offense made it a one score game, to us burning the clock like we had a 2 TD lead in the 4th.

For a team that made it's living on not making any mistakes we made alot of ******* mistakes.

Now that Moss is gone, Tate sucks, and no one was picked up from the draft... Who will the pats use for a deep threat this year? I think its one of the major needs that gets overlooked cause the short passing game is so good. Well, is it really that good? All playoff games, the short passing game has blown and there is no deep threat. Tate isn't gonna cut it.

Possible options...

Price? Gonna get more action in year 2, all WRs do
FA? Ochocinco?

Its sad that there is only 1 guy who doesn't even play that is a deep threat.

All other playoff teams have 1, most have two.

Colts- garcon, wayne
packers- jennings, driver
ravens- bolden
jets- holmes, edwards
chiefs- bowe
steelers- mike wallace
chargers- jackson
falcons- LOL they have like 4 of them now
Saints- All saints WRs are deep threats
Eagles- jackson, maclin

All patriots long TDs were broken plays and I'm getting kind of tired of it

A free agent addition...(not named Chad or Ocho)...hopefully.

I actually agree that I like the more well-rounded offense now, but the reality is, both were stifled when it mattered.

At least the 07 offense only fell short b/c of fluke plays & bad calls. That Super Bowl was a defensive battle, and the offense scored with 2:30 left to give the defense a lead. That should've been enough in that game.

Gr8 minds think alike. I agree w/ ur 2007 statement.

not to mention the G-Men had a TREMEDOUS O-Line.

bad plays and fluke calls effed us... but it is history.

I love this NEW Trip TE offense... that just added RB's and a potential FAULK type. We got woody to...

I want to see that new TE on roser over CRUMP. if we cut the new TE and waiver him some scrub will take him.

Tampa butt pirates love to steal from OUR practice squad. A-HOLES

CRUMP's time bttr be done I like him but I favor YOUTH:cool:

I am quite surprised w/ not 1 outlash:)

\I use DRAGON SPEAK pardon if I don't edit it like I do to my RESEARCH-PAPERS

:cool:

I think we have something in price. Lets see how well him and Tate develop this year.

I think we have something in price. Lets see how well him and Tate develop this year.

I'm at the same place with Price this year as I was with Tate last year. As far as rookies or players without a lot of game experience go, I don't expect a lot out of them. Kids need to play, make mistakes and get the opportunity to improve. Tate had problems last year. This year, I expect that his route-running, ability to get better separation and hands improve this year. If they don't he'll be gone. My expectation is that Price will have an uneven year. I stated earlier that he'll nab 50 catches, but that might have been a bit overzealous. I think 30-40 is more reasonable to expect from a player who barely saw the field last year.

I keep going back to David Givens. He stunk in 02. Bad routes. Dropped TD pass vs the NYJ. Fumbled. He was a mess. Next year he became a reliable WR.

Last edited:
Forgive me if I don't share your enthusiasm. I used to do the same exercise on this very board with Chad Jackson and we all remember how that worked out. :mad:

Pointing out examples of the rare case in which a bad first season was turned around just seems useless to me in hindsight. You listed five guys here who turned it around after a weak first season, we could probably list 150 receivers who had a crappy first season and still went on to suck. There's absolutely no conclusion we can draw.

So 24 catches for 432 yards and 3 TDs is a crappy rookie season? Since when? Receivers also typically don't hit their stride till season 2 or 3. That's not the exception, that's the NORM.

Wide Receiver Three Year Rule - FootballDocs Fantasy Football

Swearing won't help the situation.

Seriously, Slater shouldn't be listed as a receiver. Brady threw 507 passes last year to 14 receivers. Slater was never thrown to.
--------------------------------------
Tate was the downfield threat in 2010. Price will try get some of those reps. As Welker slows down a bit, Edleman should get some of his reps.
--------------------------------------

Brady's 6 top targets get almost all the receptions (87%).

BRADY TARGETS
3 receivers: Welker, Branch/Moss, and Tate 264 times
2 tight ends: Hernandez and Gronkowksi 123 times
3d down rb: Woodhead 55 times
others: 65 times

I remember a deep pass either going over Slater's head or being dropped in the Buffalo game in Foxboro. He is the fastest of the receivers, but, yeah probably not going to get too many looks based on his first three seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back