PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the patriots deep threat this year??

Status
Not open for further replies.
we dont need a deep threat...we will run the ball 40 times a game

This is probably the way it will be by the playoffs. We have spent too much time putting everything on Brady's shoulders. Finally we will have another way to move the ball when Brady just isnt able to. Time to get back to basics.

Ocho pretty much refuses to run routes, or at least the correct ones. He is single-handedly driving Palmer to retire.

Given the lack of receivers drafted, I would imagine that Price and Tate will end up battling multiple free agents for the role.

Tate, unfortunately, has hands of stone - I don't see him ever becoming that guy who stretches the field.

I'm hoping that Price grows into the role, with an occasional dose of Hernandez.

Now we're saying that among our 10 receivers (WR and TE's) that we don't need to have downfield threats.

To say that we can win without downfield threats is one thing. To say that we shouldn't want to have one or two is downright silly.

What do Andre Johnson, OchoCinco, Terrell Owens, Arian Foster, Matt Schaub, Adrian Peterson, Miles Austin, Jason Witten, Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Pettigrew, Percy Harvin, Santans Moss, Chris Cooley, Ryan Torain, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Steve Smith, Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston, Tim Hightower, Knowshon Moreno, Brandon Lloyd, Fred Jackson and Steve Johnson have in common?

They all probably had SportsSenter highlight reel 'top ten plays of the week'.

They also all played for teams with a double-digit number of losses last season.

When did SportsCenter highlight plays become more important than wins?

Last year was fascinating to watch. The Patriots scored over 500 points, an incredible amount, without a deep threat. You can create mismatches that are just as deadly (high accuracy, although less total yards per completion) without speed. Size, height, and quickness count as well.

OK, Let's pick on Edleman.

Are we better off with a midlevel free agent who is a deep threat and punt returner or are we better off with Edelman?

Yes, with Tom Brady as your quarterback, your offense can create offense with mediocre wide receivers. Yes, we still have an aging Welker, but WR may be our weakest unit other than linebacker.

Last year was fascinating to watch. The Patriots scored over 500 points, an incredible amount, without a deep threat. You can create mismatches that are just as deadly (high accuracy, although less total yards per completion) without speed. Size, height, and quickness count as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that "Tate sucks" was your second stated argument gives you zero credibility.

Let the young guys develop. Most young receivers don't even make big impacts until their second or third years in the league. Not ready to give up on Tate yet, he had some really nice catches last year. Definitely showed potential.

And we have no idea what we have in Price.

So is there some uncertainty at the position? Yeah, I would say so. But I think you need to calm down a little bit and not come to such rash judgements.

Swearing won't help the situation.

Seriously, Slater shouldn't be listed as a receiver. Brady threw 507 passes last year to 14 receivers. Slater was never thrown to.
--------------------------------------
Tate was the downfield threat in 2010. Price will try get some of those reps. As Welker slows down a bit, Edleman should get some of his reps.
--------------------------------------

Brady's 6 top targets get almost all the receptions (87%).

BRADY TARGETS
3 receivers: Welker, Branch/Moss, and Tate 264 times
2 tight ends: Hernandez and Gronkowksi 123 times
3d down rb: Woodhead 55 times
others: 65 times
Slater???:confused:

Now we're saying that among our 10 receivers (WR and TE's) that we don't need to have downfield threats.

To say that we can win without downfield threats is one thing. To say that we shouldn't want to have one or two is downright silly.
When did I say that? I've gone back and double-checked, but I couldn't find it.

My comment was in response to the statement that "All patriots long TDs were broken plays and I'm getting kind of tired of it." Winning as many games as possible should be a much higher priority than making SportsCenter's Top Ten plays of the day. Winning games should be a much higher priority than individual stats and fantasy football numbers.

I did not say that the Pats do (or do not) have a downfield threat; nor did I say anything about the the Pats needing downfield threats. However if I did want to go down that road I probably could make a convincing case if I wanted to, based on the productivity of last season's offense and the number of points they scored.

Anyone who thinks Chad Johnson is going to help ANY team this year in their receiving corps really needs to get their head examined.

Ochocinco is a joke as a WR anymore....he would be better off in Hollywood,maybe team up with T.O. and Randy Moss in a movie as the new 3 Stooges

Good thing hands can never be improved:rolleyes:

I assume you were being sarcastic .... but it's true. For the most part, you either have good hands or you don't; I don't think it's a learned thing. You can coach up 'bad hands' guys to some extent, but they'll never match a guy with natural ability to catch the ball.

I watched Troy Williamson up here in MN for several years who had this exact issue. Carter and Moss caught everything that came near them; Williamson routinely dropped perfect passes that would have been easy touchdowns. He had tremendous speed, but no ability to catch the football.

I don't think Tate is terrible, but that one or 2 crucial drops per game will be enough to make the Pats look elsewhere for that kind of production. IMO, of course. :)

Last edited:
When did I say that? I've gone back and double-checked, but I couldn't find it.

My comment was in response to the statement that "All patriots long TDs were broken plays and I'm getting kind of tired of it." Winning as many games as possible should be a much higher priority than making SportsCenter's Top Ten plays of the day. Winning games should be a much higher priority than individual stats and fantasy football numbers.

I did not say that the Pats do (or do not) have a downfield threat; nor did I say anything about the the Pats needing downfield threats. However if I did want to go down that road I probably could make a convincing case if I wanted to, based on the productivity of last season's offense and the number of points they scored.

The downfield threat thing...which became an issue after the Jets loss can be fixed by a dominant running game which seems to be our plan. In that Jets game we definately struggled running the ball. If we can make them respect the run,in a way that they can't just drop everybody into coverage like they did, it will open up room for our passing attack.

The downfield threat thing...which became an issue after the Jets loss can be fixed by a dominant running game which seems to be our plan.

If you don't have talent on the outside than can run, you do not have a downfield threat- regardless of how powerful the running game is. If the Jets stacked the line with 6-7 players, that left Welker, Branch, etc. with 1:1 coverage, they are still not going 80 yds for a TD. In addition, Tate has not proven himself to be a deep-threat because his route-running and hands are suspect.

In that Jets game we definately struggled running the ball. If we can make them respect the run,in a way that they can't just drop everybody into coverage like they did, it will open up room for our passing attack.

Many of Brady's misfires were due to bad reads, indecisiveness and poor accuracy- all attributed to a Jets D that played a great game and an O-line that was sub-standard. Most of the coverage was 1:1 and the Jets had the better matchups.

A respected running game will take the pressure off the passing game for sure and in some cases will open up the middle of the field and help create some favorable matchups on the outside. With that said, I don't think the byproduct of a power-running game is a stretch-the-field offense.

Last edited:
Of players you mentioned/implied: (Rec/Yds/Tds, first season unless otherwise noted)
Garcon: 4/23/0 in 14 games
Wayne: 27/345/0 in 13
Driver: 3/31/1 in 6 (1st season), 21/322/1 in 16 (2nd), 13/167/1 in 13 (3rd)
Jackson: 3/59/0 in 8 (1st), 27/453/6 in 16 (2nd), 41/623/3 in 16 (3rd)
White: 29/446/3 in 16 (1st), 30/506/0 in 16 (2nd)
Tate: 0/0/0 in 2 (1st), 24/432/3 in 16 (2nd)

You would have given up on Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, and Donald Driver after their first years too. That's why you're not in charge. Let's not give up on Tate yet.

Forgive me if I don't share your enthusiasm. I used to do the same exercise on this very board with Chad Jackson and we all remember how that worked out. :mad:

Pointing out examples of the rare case in which a bad first season was turned around just seems useless to me in hindsight. You listed five guys here who turned it around after a weak first season, we could probably list 150 receivers who had a crappy first season and still went on to suck. There's absolutely no conclusion we can draw.

Receivers more often than not fail to fulfill their potential. So I think we have to be skeptical going forward re: Tate, Price or anyone who hasn't proven they can play the position in the NFL.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, we led the league in scoring without a deep threat.

Oddly enough, we led the league in scoring without a deep threat.

True, but we also got bounced from the playoffs when the opposing team took away everything underneath and intermediate.

first let me dictate that the 2007 New England Patriots offense was and is extremely overrated:eek:

so the break and set a bunch of new records:rolleyes:

records are for losers, these pages are the mark set by society and the person or team that breaks that record or mark settle for them they become this automatic great sensation?

I'll tell you this now and I mean it even more so then. I would take patriots offense 2010 and 2011 over some overrated crimefighters:eek:

"snap

did I really just say that???:eek:

indeed I did and I mean it one hundred percent:cool:

So to answer your question who is the best New England Patriots best home-run hitter and the DEEP threat??? It can be anybody from Brandon Tate to Deion branch and hellI will even throw Taylor Priceinto this mix.

The New England Patriots 2011 do not need a glorified deep threat becausewe possess weapons of unpredictability with great theatricality all thrown into one Christmas package with the big red bow. Our weapons are and is the immense flexibility of our offense to strike whenever we want when we want and with who we want.flexibility and unpredictability are beautiful weapons that many teams in the NFL do not have the luxury of possessing.

2007 offense was overratedI take this new one night and day over our 2007 variant.

I cannot wait to see all of these uprisings and out lashes and the many jabs thrown at me for coming out of the closet and stating this truth.:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back