PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the OT you want the Pats to take?

I think it will be hard for the team to find someone who can come in and make immediate contributions at tackle; however, there might be some solid value left toward the end of the third round or in the first half of the third day. Someone like Kyle Murphy could make sense. While he's not great from an athletic or length standpoint, he has experience on both sides of the line and as a jumbo (third) lineman. He doesn't always make it look pretty, but he can get the job done often enough to consider in the third or fourth.

Two guys from smaller schools, Joe Haeg and Willie Beavers, also look athletic enough to consider around the fourth round if possible. Spencer Drango has kind of a weird body for a tackle, but reminds me a little bit of Logan Mankins and could move inside to guard if he doesn't succeed outside; it looks like he's also considered more of a fourth-round pick. I like Cole Toner from Harvard in the same fourth/fifth range.

As an outside-the-box option, how about Max Tuerk from Southern California? Very tall and very athletic center who started five games at left tackle, one at right tackle, and fourteen at left guard in addition to center duties. His size might make him someone to consider for a conversion back outside, and his recent ACL tear could cause him to be available later than his talent would warrant.

Good stuff. Like you website too. Are you planning on doing a post about offensive blocking schemes like your NFL Defensive Scheme Notes. That's something I'm looking for.

I like the depth at OT in this draft but I'm less enamoured by the options at 60. Unless there's a mid 2nd round run on OTs, there's an excellent opportunity to take a different position at 60 (CB/DE/DT/LB) and then trade back into the third and pick up the OT there if we like a Clark/Coleman or Hawkins. The more I think about it though, Joe Haeg is quickly becoming my current favourite of the available OTs. Murphy is interesting and the Stanford thing makes him a possibility but I could never get onboard with his tape. A decent swing tackle at the end of the 3rd or preferrably 4th round for me.

I have said it many times, Haeg is my target for OT. He has experience (lower level, I know) size, work ethic, movement skills, and athleticism to become a starting tackle in the NFL. He needs to add strength, but the traits are there.
I finally got a hold of some tape on Dominque Robertson and he is very intriguing as well. He is moving up my board quickly.
After I watch Robertson , I will be putting together my Oline big board, so be on the look out for that today or tomorrow.

Good stuff. Like you website too. Are you planning on doing a post about offensive blocking schemes like your NFL Defensive Scheme Notes. That's something I'm looking for.

I like the depth at OT in this draft but I'm less enamoured by the options at 60. Unless there's a mid 2nd round run on OTs, there's an excellent opportunity to take a different position at 60 (CB/DE/DT/LB) and then trade back into the third and pick up the OT there if we like a Clark/Coleman or Hawkins. The more I think about it though, Joe Haeg is quickly becoming my current favourite of the available OTs. Murphy is interesting and the Stanford thing makes him a possibility but I could never get onboard with his tape. A decent swing tackle at the end of the 3rd or preferrably 4th round for me.

with a starting OT removed from rosters (Ferguson), it is likely that Spriggs is gone in round 1 ...... likely makes Ifedu and Coleman gone by 60

individual preferences notwithstanding, do you think there's any way possible that the Pats wind up with both Clark and Haeg? given the nature of the roster now, this facilitates the possibility of at some point in 2017 having a starting OL with Stork being the oldest....I think having both of them gives the pats the ability to move on past vollmer and solder should the development of the newer players be sufficient

as it stands, the RB's and WR's who stand to be available at 60/61 all seem to have their share of warts........and if you put it to the test, what was the one thing that killed the Pats in the end? Their OT's.....we'd be hoisting a new Lombardi if the OT pass pro was only marginally better

with a starting OT removed from rosters (Ferguson), it is likely that Spriggs is gone in round 1 ...... likely makes Ifedu and Coleman gone by 60

individual preferences notwithstanding, do you think there's any way possible that the Pats wind up with both Clark and Haeg? given the nature of the roster now, this facilitates the possibility of at some point in 2017 having a starting OL with Stork being the oldest....I think having both of them gives the pats the ability to move on past vollmer and solder should the development of the newer players be sufficient

as it stands, the RB's and WR's who stand to be available at 60/61 all seem to have their share of warts........and if you put it to the test, what was the one thing that killed the Pats in the end? Their OT's.....we'd be hoisting a new Lombardi if the OT pass pro was only marginally better

I started to wonder about drafting two OTs as I was putting together my most recent mock. I could see it, but it would probably depend on them thinking one of the two could start straight away and cutting Vollmer. Alternatively, it would depend on how they grade these OTs against Waddle - BB isn't afraid to have two rookies potentially being thrust into important roster positions as we saw in '13 with the WRs and last year with the guards.
Personally I'd hold off on at least one until next year. Maybe there's a Very good LT in play in the first round. But I wouldn't discount it completely.

I started to wonder about drafting two OTs as I was putting together my most recent mock. I could see it, but it would probably depend on them thinking one of the two could start straight away and cutting Vollmer. Alternatively, it would depend on how they grade these OTs against Waddle - BB isn't afraid to have two rookies potentially being thrust into important roster positions as we saw in '13 with the WRs and last year with the guards.
Personally I'd hold off on at least one until next year. Maybe there's a Very good LT in play in the first round. But I wouldn't discount it completely.

now that you think about it, some of the activity to date (Bennett, Harbor, Hogan, Washington,Long,Mclellin) is suggesting exactly that

the potential for neither Vollmer, nor Solder to be here in 2017 is pretty decent.......you know by know people go a year too early rather than a year too late.

now that you think about it, some of the activity to date (Bennett, Harbor, Hogan, Washington,Long,Mclellin) is suggesting exactly that

the potential for neither Vollmer, nor Solder to be here in 2017 is pretty decent.......you know by know people go a year too early rather than a year too late.

I certainly could envisage a scenario in which Vollmer gets cut. I'm less sure about Solder. Now traded, that might be a possibility.

I certainly could envisage a scenario in which Vollmer gets cut. I'm less sure about Solder. Now traded, that might be a possibility.

after next year, the cap savings is pretty substantial

I've been really giving possible ot's some thought as of late. And I wouldn't be against taking two tackles. Maybe Clark and joe haeg in the second and third. Both wouldn't need to see the field this year(barring injury). But both could be potential starters at the tackle spots next year. Also where do you guys think shon Coleman would be drafted had he played this year?

after next year, the cap savings is pretty substantial
yes, we could save lots of cap money by drafting 2 OT's this year, and starting them next year.

yes, we could save lots of cap money by drafting 2 OT's this year, and starting them next year.

Or they could dump vollmer this year and start one of them

Matt Light
Dan Koppen
Logan Mankins
Nick Kaczur
Sebastian Vollmer
Nate Solder
Bryan Stork
Shaq Mason
David Andrews
Tre Jackson

All say hi

You sort of remind me of the other know it alls around here

Last edited:
Or they could dump vollmer this year and start one of them

Matt Light
Dan Koppen
Logan Mankins
Nick Kaczur
Sebastian Vollmer
Nate Solder
Bryan Stork
Shaq Mason
David Andrews
Tre Jackson

All say hi

You sort of remind me of the other know it alls around here

Do YOU really really believe that we will go with Solder, Vollmer and two rookies?

Do YOU really really believe that we will go with Solder, Vollmer and two rookies?

Did you really believe we'd go with Josh Kline and two rookies at OG last year? BB has shown a willingness to go all in with rookies of late. Personally I think Waddle sticks, but it wouldn't surprise me if BB drafted two rookie OTs this year, the position is due a bit of an overhaul.

i would take Clark and Haeg as my backups this year in a heartbeat ....

2001 rookie Matt Light was backed up by rookie Kenyatta Jones.....then rookie Brandon Gorin

It happens all the time and Clark and Haeg would be the best backups we ever had.

I have complete faith in our old new coach to turn the entire unit into a bunch of studs....watch what Mason turns into under Scar.....the guy is an open canvas

You must still be shell shocked from that jackass we had here last year

Scar has turned much bigger stiffs into a solid group

2001 rookie Matt Light was backed up by rookie Kenyatta Jones.....then rookie Brandon Gorin

It happens all the time and Clark and Haeg would be the best backups we ever had.

I have complete faith in our old new coach to turn the entire unit into a bunch of studs....watch what Mason turns into under Scar.....the guy is an open canvas

1) I agree that the coach last year, and the training staff, couldn't keep the OL healthy.
2) Yes Scar has done well with less talent.
3) Yes, we could use 2 of our top 3 draft choices on OT's and scrub Cannon and Waddle. It may be worth it. We could do a lot worse with our picks. I suspect that if we drafted two OT's that we would carry Waddle as a 5th OT, at least for awhile.
4) BTW, it is an open question whether last year's rookie OG's are any good. Just because someone looked bad last year doesn't mean that he'll be a star.

BOTTOM LINE
Belichick will decide the best use of his top draft choices, very valuable resources. With Cannon, Waddle and Fleming on the squad, I don't expect us to draft two OT's.

I completely agree with you on Clark and haeg. Of course they aren't the flashy pick but I believe both can eventually be starters. Also I think if we were to draft two tackles, that would be reason enough to cut cannon. I know he has experience but he's making to much money to be a bad backup. I know going against Von miller isn't an easy task for anybody but it seemed like he couldn't even make it look like he was making miller work to get to Brady.

1) I agree that the coach last year, and the training staff, couldn't keep the OL healthy.
2) Yes Scar has done well with less talent.
3) Yes, we could use 2 of our top 3 draft choices on OT's and scrub Cannon and Waddle. It may be worth it. We could do a lot worse with our picks. I suspect that if we drafted two OT's that we would carry Waddle as a 5th OT, at least for awhile.
4) BTW, it is an open question whether last year's rookie OG's are any good. Just because someone looked bad last year doesn't mean that he'll be a star.

BOTTOM LINE
Belichick will decide the best use of his top draft choices, very valuable resources. With Cannon, Waddle and Fleming on the squad, I don't expect us to draft two OT's.

anything is possible, but with one OT long in the tooth and in the last year of his deal and the other coming off of injury and being a substantial cap eater, I can see this team with 2 different starting OT's next year, and I don't see any potential currently on the roster as starters

the pats haven't been shy about providing plenty of playing time to rookie OL's over the years....seemingly more so than any other position.

I just don't see any other position with the same kind of need.....with 4 picks in the top 100, I could easily see 2 of them be OT's.......but it does depend on who else is still on the board
I

There's good discussion here and I think drafting 2 OT's is now, IMO, a probability, with one or both coming early in the draft. Next year's OT draft class isn't that good so I can see the Pats moving UP mid 2nd to get one (I like Spriggs, Ifedi and Clark, in that order) if they start coming off the board.

There's good discussion here and I think drafting 2 OT's is now, IMO, a probability, with one or both coming early in the draft. Next year's OT draft class isn't that good so I can see the Pats moving UP mid 2nd to get one (I like Spriggs, Ifedi and Clark, in that order) if they start coming off the board.

I don't know anything about next years class except there are some monsters:

Zach Banner, USC, 6-8, 360lbs
Dan Skipper, Arkansas, 6-9, 331lbs
Jonah Pirsig, Minnesota, 6-8, 324lbs

And then there's quite a lot of 6-6 and 6-7 guys on top of that.

I don't know anything about next years class except there are some monsters:

Zach Banner, USC, 6-8, 360lbs
Dan Skipper, Arkansas, 6-9, 331lbs
Jonah Pirsig, Minnesota, 6-8, 324lbs

And then there's quite a lot of 6-6 and 6-7 guys on top of that.

In a perverse way, that's how we could potentially benefit from an appeals court reversal of the Brady decision. If Garappolo can go 3-1 during those 4 games and Brady comes back sharp, the Pats could very easily flip Garapollo for a 1st rounder at that point. His upside looks like Tony Romo - not exactly Brady, but still a good QB that teams would do anything to get. And his preseasons have shown growth such that the possibility of that upside being reached is real.

In that scenario, we could get our Vollmer replacement next year as well as a quality DE (Chandler Jones replacement) at 32 or with a possible trade up.

In a perverse way, that's how we could potentially benefit from an appeals court reversal of the Brady decision. If Garappolo can go 3-1 during those 4 games and Brady comes back sharp, the Pats could very easily flip Garapollo for a 1st rounder at that point. His upside looks like Tony Romo - not exactly Brady, but still a good QB that teams would do anything to get. And his preseasons have shown growth such that the possibility of that upside being reached is real.

In that scenario, we could get our Vollmer replacement next year as well as a quality DE (Chandler Jones replacement) at 32 or with a possible trade up.

That is something I've thought about. Let's wait and see. Projecting first round trades for Patriot QBs has been a bit fruitless of late.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back