PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Is The Next Brandon Browner, Cameron Wake or Warren Moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy who jumps out to me from that list is Armond Armstead. 6'5" 295#, played DE at USC, was being moved inside to DT. Was medically red shirted due to heart problems that he believes were caused by toreador, and reportedly suffered a mild myocardial infarction, causing him to go undrafted. Big red flag and risk, but he's obviously played a full season without difficulty in the CFL. He's a very athletic kid who would have drawn a lot of NFL interest if not for the medical problems and the missed time. He has the versatility to play inside or out in different schemes, and could probably play the kind of role envisioned for Jonathan Fanene.

Raiders Draft Preview: Armond Armstead - Just Blog Baby - An Oakland Raiders Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.
Armond Armstead 2012 NFL Draft Prospect Video 6-5, 295, DE USC - YouTube

Found this from the draft board:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-de-armond-armstead-years-marcus-cannon.html

Pats apparently worked him out and checked him out last spring. Not sure what the medical checkout showed - he went undrafted and wasn't signed as a UDFA - but perhaps now that he's had a season of play without incident under his belt teams will reconsider. He has potential. It would be a good low-cost way to potentially fill the role that they tried to fill with Fanene, and he now has some playing experience under his belt, as opposed to last spring when he'd missed an entire season of college football.

Found this from the draft board:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-de-armond-armstead-years-marcus-cannon.html

Pats apparently worked him out and checked him out last spring. Not sure what the medical checkout showed - he went undrafted and wasn't signed as a UDFA - but perhaps now that he's had a season of play without incident under his belt teams will reconsider. He has potential. It would be a good low-cost way to potentially fill the role that they tried to fill with Fanene, and he now has some playing experience under his belt, as opposed to last spring when he'd missed an entire season of college football.

I keep seeing Fanene's name brought up a lot lately and I keep trying to remember who he is but I can't. Did the Pats sign him in the off season and did he get put on IR or something? I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with this things but I really can't remember who he is. And no I am NOT being sarcastic so if you could please fill me in I would really appreciate it. Thanks. :confused:

I keep seeing Fanene's name brought up a lot lately and I keep trying to remember who he is but I can't. Did the Pats sign him in the off season and did he get put on IR or something? I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with this things but I really can't remember who he is. And no I am NOT being sarcastic so if you could please fill me in I would really appreciate it. Thanks. :confused:

During the offseason the Pats seriously made a run at Seattle DE/DT Red Bryant, a 323# run stuffer who plays 4-3 LDE for the Seahawks but who can also play inside. He ultimately chose to re-sign with Seattle for a 5 year/$35M contract. The Pats shortly thereafter signed 30 year old 6'4" 290# UFA DE/DT Jonathan Fanene from Cincinnati to a 3 year/$9.85M contract with a $3.85M signing bonus. I believe he was their first outside FA signing of the offseason. The idea was that he would play both outside and inside, providing a penetrating DT that we haven't had since Mike Wright and being able to play LDE in both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. He entered training camp pretty much penciled in as a starter, but missed most of the first 3 weeks of camp with knee injuries, and was cut on August 21. The team has claimed that he failed to disclose a pre-existing knee condition. $1.35M of his signing bonus has not yet been paid, and there was some media speculation and an unnamed "NFL source" at the time that Fanene was cut that the Patriots would try to recoup some of that money and/or not pay out the remainder of his signing bonus. Whether they actually petitioned the NFL, whether Fanene truly failed to disclose, or whether the Pats simply failed to do due diligence in his medical evaluation, is all subject to discussion.

I can understand why you would forget it. I wish I could.

Last edited:
The guy who jumps out to me from that list is Armond Armstead. 6'5" 295#, played DE at USC, was being moved inside to DT. Was medically red shirted due to heart problems that he believes were caused by toreador, and reportedly suffered a mild myocardial infarction, causing him to go undrafted. Big red flag and risk, but he's obviously played a full season without difficulty in the CFL. He's a very athletic kid who would have drawn a lot of NFL interest if not for the medical problems and the missed time. He has the versatility to play inside or out in different schemes, and could probably play the kind of role envisioned for Jonathan Fanene.

Raiders Draft Preview: Armond Armstead - Just Blog Baby - An Oakland Raiders Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Is he related to Jesse?

During the offseason the Pats seriously made a run at Seattle DE/DT Red Bryant, a 323# run stuffer who plays 4-3 LDE for the Seahawks but who can also play inside. He ultimately chose to re-sign with Seattle for a 5 year/$35M contract. The Pats shortly thereafter signed 30 year old 6'4" 290# UFA DE/DT Jonathan Fanene from Cincinnati to a 3 year/$9.85M contract with a $3.85M signing bonus. I believe he was their first outside FA signing of the offseason. The idea was that he would play both outside and inside, providing a penetrating DT that we haven't had since Mike Wright and being able to play LDE in both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. He entered training camp pretty much penciled in as a starter, but missed most of the first 3 weeks of camp with knee injuries, and was cut on August 21. The team has claimed that he failed to disclose a pre-existing knee condition. $1.35M of his signing bonus has not yet been paid, and there was some media speculation and an unnamed "NFL source" at the time that Fanene was cut that the Patriots would try to recoup some of that money and/or not pay out the remainder of his signing bonus. Whether they actually petitioned the NFL, whether Fanene truly failed to disclose, or whether the Pats simply failed to do due diligence in his medical evaluation, is all subject to discussion.

I can understand why you would forget it. I wish I could.

He wanted to milk out his career as much as he could I guess.

NFL contracts work mostly to the benefit of the teams, sans the signing bonuses.

In all honesty, Chad Owens is the most electrifying player in the CFL. Hes the CFL version of Percy Harvin. Not saying he is Percy Harvin but i think he could play a very similar role and be somewhat successful. At worst he would make for an outstanding return man in the NFL.

Terell Owens cousin to...

I follow the CFL very closely and root for the BC lions. Cameron Wake was on the team before going to the NFL. I hated the fact that he chose Miami off all teams, I don't think the Patriots were even interested in him.

Right now Adam Bighill is one of the best LB's I have seen in quite awhile. He lead the team in tackles, had 4 INT and 9 or 10 sacks. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Alot of his tackles were for losses and had a ferocious pass rush. Opposing QB's often had to get rid of the ball quicker which resulted in incompletions or INT's whenever him he was on the field. The one knock against him is his size. He is tiny compared to the LB's of the NFL.

Anyway, the Lions just extended him so I am not sure if he is still eligible to try out for the NFL if a team showed interest. He is the kind of player I would love to see on the Patriots!

I didn't realize that Pat Watkins was still playing pro ball. He was a big, top-100-talent DB
(just like Browner) whom I was hoping Bill would have considered (along with Mark Anderson)
with his 4th/5th-round picks in 2006.

Besides Watkins & Armstead, I am unfamiliar with any of the other names. I do remember being
impressed with ex-CFL DE Phillip Hunt when the Eagles played us in the pre-season, however.

Last edited:
Tim Tebow...

...in about 5 years when Brady retires.

Regards,
Chris

I didn't realize that Pat Watkins was still playing pro ball. He was a big, top-100-talent DB
(just like Browner) whom I was hoping Bill would have considered (along with Mark Anderson)

Besides Watkins & Armstead, I am unfamiliar with any of the other names. I do remember being
impressed with ex-CFL DE Phillip Hunt when the Eagles played us in the pre-season, however.

Yeah, I saw Hunt play here in Winnipeg. He was a beast. not sure if he'll have the same success that Wake has had, but he could definitely get to the QB (well, at least up here).

Last edited:

Watkins is interesting. He's huge (6'5") with good speed (4.42) but never made it in the NFL in 4 years. He just turned 30, so generally I would tend to discount him. He's probably just looking good against lesser competition. But maybe he's a late bloomer. Wonder whether anyone will take a second look at him given his CFL success and the success of guys like Browner.

Pats reportedly work out Armstead. Good move.

Apparently he jumped out at BB, too. Great signing. Hopefully he will provide what the Pats were hoping to get from Sean Ellis in 2011, and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes