PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

who is the most favourite sport team in NE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
i would like to see the Pats at n.1 but i think not as far as i understood in these years...

am i correct saying:

1 - Boston Red Sox
2 - NE Patriots
3 - Boston Celtics
4 - Boston Bruins

are the Pats 'near' the Red Sox now ?

my question is of course popularity...

That's about right.

but are now the Pats 'near' the Red Sox ?

i hope in the next future Pats will become n.1 but i know the Red Sox popularity is enormous in the area.

is it true that the area is 'more' baseball contry then football ?

generally in USA NFL should be n.1 sport if i am correct.

Most likely never. The Red Sox have a tradition, passed on through the generations, that will only be destroyed or severely hindered if the city of Boston and most of New England is wiped out by some cataclysmic disaster.

The actual city of Boston is the stronghold for the Sox. As you get further away, it gets more balanced between the Pats and Sox. I guess that's the consequence of having the Pats based a half hour south of the city.

Last edited:
italianpatthepatriot said:
but are now the Pats 'near' the Red Sox ?

i hope in the next future Pats will become n.1 but i know the Red Sox popularity is enormous in the area.

is it true that the area is 'more' baseball contry then football ?

generally in USA NFL should be n.1 sport if i am correct.
They're not "near" the Sox and they never will be. Not sure why it is, maybe it has to do with the Pats' sorry beginnings. Not that we Pats fans are not ravenous, we just seem to pale in terms of pure numbers. There are many Sox fans everywhere. Can't say the Pats have any road game-home games like the Sox enjoy. Plus, the Sox are always more of a soap opera, and the media looooves a soap opera.

thank you Pats1.

is anyway the NFL number one generally in Usa ?

2nd MLB, 3rd NBA and 4th NHL.

or...?

i could imagine that MLB and NBA are very very near at n.2...

Patjew said:
They're not "near" the Sox and they never will be. Not sure why it is, maybe it has to do with the Pats' sorry beginnings. Not that we Pats fans are not ravenous, we just seem to pale in terms of pure numbers. There are many Sox fans everywhere. Can't say the Pats have any road game-home games like the Sox enjoy. Plus, the Sox are always more of a soap opera, and the media looooves a soap opera.

anyway i was in Boston and the area approx 7-8 days in beginning november and i remember a lot of people with Red Sox and Patriots hats or shirts (more or less at the same level...). Not so much about Bruins and Celtics...

also on my return plane there were two people on the Boeing with Patriots jerseys (one was me but there was another men approx 60 years old).

italianpatthepatriot said:
anyway i was in Boston and the area approx 7-8 days in beginning november and i remember a lot of people with Red Sox and Patriots hats or shirts (more or less at the same level...). Not so much about Bruins and Celtics...

also on my return plane there were two people on the Boeing with Patriots jerseys (one was me but there was another men approx 60 years old).
Sorry to say it, we see alot more of those Pats shirts and hats now than we did during the lean years. The Sox stuff never goes away, though, no matter how poor they're doing and how may hearts they break. The Sox are like family around here- everyone has to support them no matter how screwed up they are. Now I feel that way about the Pats, of course, but the sentiment doesn't feel nearly as widespread.

And no, I'm not calling anyone here a bandwagoner. Just saying that the Sox always seem to be the focus.

A patriot board is probably the worst place for this discussion. However, I don't think the patriots are close. The media focus on the Red Sox because that's what the people want to hear about, and they hire writers and announcers that know about the Red Sox.

The patriots used to be a sad 4th.

With regard to the top professional sport nationwide, I think that it is NASCAR. Again, I don't think it's close.

And, you'd see alot more B's and C's gear if either team didn't suck.

Last edited:
Patjew said:
Sorry to say it, we see alot more of those Pats shirts and hats now than we did during the lean years. The Sox stuff never goes away, though, no matter how poor they're doing and how may hearts they break. The Sox are like family around here- everyone has to support them no matter how screwed up they are. Now I feel that way about the Pats, of course, but the sentiment doesn't feel nearly as widespread.

And no, I'm not calling anyone here a bandwagoner. Just saying that the Sox always seem to be the focus.

clear, your concept and explanation is absolutely clear.
thks.

probably the Pats are now 'remounting'...

i do not like baseball personally.

ok...now i go to tv (it is h 20,50 here) to see Den-Pit.

It's more like.

1. Boston Red Sox.

2. New England Patriots
3. Boston Celtics
4. Boston Bruins

I for one will never understand the fascination with baseball. I have tried to watch it and just couldn't. It's about as exciting as watching golf on tv.

The question was "in NE". I think that the greater Boston area it is the Red Sox and I think it has to do with them being right in Boston. Also, the number of colleges in Boston has something to do with it.

Outside of Route 128, I think it is 50-50. There are a lot of people who are big fans of both. Average baseball fans tend to be less fanatic than average football fans , IMO.

Last edited:
My Favorite Teams.

If you ask me it runs:

1) Celtics - always a favorite since I listened to Johnny Most. Havilcek, Russell, Cowens, Jo Jo White, Bird, Parish, McHale, Reggie Lewis :(, and all those unsung heroes of years gone by.

2) Patriots - fan since Clive Rush coached the team. Jim Nance was my favorite Patriot, then Plunkett, Vataha, Hannah, Grogan, Stingley, Stanley Morgan, Bledsoe, and now Bruschi, Brady, Vinitari, and of course BB.

3) Red Sox - always liked them but some of the players I hated like Billy Conigliaro, Goerge Scott, Beetle Bailey, the Gerbil (Don Zimmer), Bob "chicken" Stanley, Roger Clemens

4) Bruins - I have lost touch with them since Borque skated in the 1990 Stanley Cup Finals.

Last edited:
Sox are the most popular in Boston. There's no doubt, though why I have no idea. Outside of the northeast though, you'd be hard pressed to find a place where football does not take precedence over all other sports, except maybe in the wild reaches of Minnesota and North Dakota where hockey is number 1. It's funny because the best American baseball players tend to come from the south, but professionally the sport is most popular in New York and Boston.

Overall I'd say that historically the order has gone...

1) Red Sox
2) Bruins
3) Celtics
4) Patriots

Boston's a hockey town, but the awful ownership of the Bruins and the dominance of the Patriots have caused them to switch places recently. Even in Boston, where fans can claim that they aren't bandwagoners because of where they're from, most Patriots fans are only on the bandwagon because of the winning ways. There are some, like most of us here, who are diehards. I know my father never wants to hear about the Red Sox during football season because it's football season. He barely cares about them now that they've won the Series, which is funny because the Patriots can't win enough for him.

mgteich said:
A patriot board is probably the worst place for this discussion. However, I don't think the patriots are close. The media focus on the Red Sox because that's what the people want to hear about, and they hire writers and announcers that know about the Red Sox.

With regard to the top professional sport nationwide, I think that it is NASCAR. Again, I don't think it's close.

I think the NFL trumps NASCAR by quite a bit. College football is pretty high in the mix also. MLB is a distant second to the NFL most everywhere but Boston.

mgteich said:

Everyone always touts NASCAR like it's soooo popular. But how often do you actually run into someone who knows anything about it? Who knows names of crew chiefs, who knows basic rules, and who knows the names of more than five drivers? The day I can sit down in a bar and argue about it the way I can football (which is universal in USA) is the day I'll accept this statement. NASCAR only looks bigtime because they can fill a large racecourse and it's a big party on the in-field. But national coverage of it is poor because nobody really cares about it that much.

Tunescribe said:
I think the NFL trumps NASCAR by quite a bit. College football is pretty high in the mix also. MLB is a distant second to the NFL most everywhere but Boston.

so, as i thought, NFL in USA is number one.

in Boston number two due to the passion for the Red Sox.

how can you like baseball ? honestly i am not able to see one minute...

hockey i like it.

Football is the number 1 sport in america, but in boston baseball is number 1..

For me if i had a ticket to go to the Pats and Texans, and 7th game of a Yankees/Red Sox game, Im going to the Pats game all the time... My love for the Pats outweighs any baseball game...

Well, there's no accounting for taste!
You have the ongoing Laundry Room soap opera of the MIS-Matched Sox, the fashion challenged Celt's who can't seem to think the all dark green uni's will change their luck, and the Bruins who can't win no matter what they wear!
I'll take the Pats who appear well-tailored from top to bottom! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes