Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who is subsidizing the Boston Globe, and WHY are they subsidizing it???

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Some talk on these pages about The Washington Times being subsidized, allusions to some kind of "promotion of a point of view" :scared: ...:woohoo:, that somehow this means that TWT does not have editorial integrity, or some such straw man argument.

Well, as it turns out, the Boston Globe is losing money,... they are losing LOTS of money. They lost $50 Million last year, and are scheduled to lose another $85 Million this year. And yet, the paper is only valued at $20 Million, as of last year.

Could it be that the world is finally coming to its collective senses?? That things of lower value are fading away and those of greater value are finally getting their due?? Hm-m-m..... will take a bit more time to find out. Stay tuned!! :)

Meanwhile, here's the medical report on what remains of the Globe; read the whole story via the link as it's interesting:

[size=+3]The Times of Beacon Hill, Anyone?[/size]
    By John Koblin
    April 8, 2009 | 6:00 a.m

Months before The Boston Globe dedicated its lead news story on April 4 to the New York Times Company’s threat to close the Boston broadsheet, The Globe’s future was discussed in the New York Times Building on Eighth Avenue.

Presumably, more than once, in the office of Times Company CEO Janet Robinson. But at least once in a meeting with the entire Times newsroom.

In October, at a newsroom-wide state-of-the-paper meeting, a staffer asked executive editor Bill Keller, apropos looming budget-slashing maneuvers, if The Times had considered integrating some departments with The Globe; after all, the paper had just announced efficiencies between The Times and its dependency, The International Herald Tribune, to trim down duplicate desks and share content between the international paper and nytimes.com.

The Times of Beacon Hill, Anyone? | The New York Observer

".... and the times, they are a-changin'......" :singing:..........:singing:

//
  2. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

when the airplane came along, people stopped driving coast to coast.......

when the internet and endless TV news channels came along, people stopped reading yesterdays news
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yes, very true. And that's why newsprint is down dramatically across the board .... and will continue to decline.

Yet, there is still a place for high quality print information. Newspapers may eventually disappear all together, but what replaces them will need to be even better quality in terms of content than the old print news.

//
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

If you told me in 1980 that computers and something called "the internet" would replace books and newspapers within 30 years, I would have told you that you watch too much Star Trek. Someone on this board said that our information will be transmitted directly into our brains someday. I wouldn't be surprised if the sheeple would allow that in a generation or two. That's how you get frog legs.
  5. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

just watched the movie 1984 last week........we are getting closer to that
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I saw on TV -- natgeo or BBC, maybe CNN ?? -- a guy who is paralyzed from the neck down who does run his computer just by his thoughts. No bull. He has some kind of electrodes or other device planted inside his skull which are able to measure his brain activity in that part of the brain where such thoughts as "move the mouse there", or "click the mouse now", etc., are processed. Quite amazing to see this happening. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would not believe it.

//
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Perhaps the Dems will bailout their buds in the media, from the Hill:

Ben Cardin has brought up subsidizing the dem allies in the MSM..
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

In some ways, yes. I've been alluding to that for some time now. YET, we haven't gone beyond the point of no return. Not yet. But we DO need to get our houses in order because computers ARE getting smarter and smarter; the idea of an artificially intelligenced device trying to pull a HAL (see the original 2001: A Space Odessey) may not be too far away. We do need to get down to the most important things in life, and create a plan that is beneficial for all; no exceptions.

//
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

If Pelosi tries this she will be gone in next election. Guaranteed. She's a total nut job.

//
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Not in her district...;)
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yeah, well, then how 'bout some people with their heads on right go and register in "her" district, and take it away from her!!

Or maybe she'll just retire to become a simple grand-mother!!

Something's got to be done.

//
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Always smile when I read you reference to 1984, but you want to quarantine any person with aids to some remote place.. no due process or no rights.. that sounds more 1984ish than anything else.. this coupled with taking away any rights of prisoners is another example of situational use of the constitution.. some things are what they are.. all pigs are equal, but some are more than others..

Were you squaking when Bush was using unauthorized wiretaps???.. no that was ok because it was the WOT... talk about 1984, and all he had to do was to go to FISA court for a rubber stamp..
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Glad to make you smile, DarrylS!!!! :D

:singing:....................:singing:..........................:singing:

//
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The New York Times' parent company is supporting the Globe, not subsidizing it. Their reason for supporting it is prolly focused on the fact that they own it and that its been a successful business entity since shortly after the Civil War. Not to mention the fact that media in the USA is changing and if the Globe can successfully adapt to that change they'll likely go on being successful for another 100 years.

I recall a story on the front page of the Globe about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It talked about the new defense against piracy Curriculum at the Mass Maritime Academy. There was a pretty young girl pictured above the fold with a huge gun in her hands looking very much ready to administer 'the law of the sea.' What was the Herald's lead story that day? I don't know, I seldom read that rag; but if I had to guess I'd say it was somebody blathering on and on about the scandal of Boston Police Vehicles being illegally parked in front of Boston Police Headquarters.
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I think the demise of newspapers will be a shame, but it appears that's the direction of things. My biggest concern is that newspapers actually provide far more news than tv or radio (simply because reading is at least 3x as efficient as listening) and newspapers tend to excel in investigative reporting. The Globe has done a great job at forcing the hand of local and state government, most recently on the pension issue.

The internet may take over on the investigative reporting front, but it will need money to do so, and I'm not sure it will be as effective on local issues. Also, overall, the quality of newspaper writing is far higher than the quality of internet writing.
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

It's been said a couple posts up, Fog. One might prefer that Bostonians owned the Boston paper, but as of right now, it's the NYT. Neither of them is a church, which has been my concern with the WT.

But take a look around you. A lot of papers are going through death throes right now, all over the country; ironically, it's the ones that have never supported themselves -- the WT comes to mind -- that are safe.

Think for a moment; we are looking at a moment in time where we might end up with the boxes on the street dominated by papers like the WT, with no mandate to break even (not that many of these papers are real "cash cows" in the first place,) but a mandate to print what management/ownership wants to see in print... The print press may well gain a tremendous amount of diversity, as each owner's viewpoint can become a paper's mission statement, provided the church or other sponsor has deep enough pockets. A whole different market. However, print then becomes a plutocracy, and becomes unmoored from the business of what we can fairly call journalism.

I would suspect the Washington Post and NYT with weather this recession, along with some other real papers. But a number of others are going under. This isn't a Boston Globe thing, it's a print industry thing.

The question is only how deep it goes.

PFnV
  17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That's not what straw man means. Fallacy: Straw Man

It's perfectly reasonable to think that the content of news can and sometimes is (I'm being generous here) dictated by the owner of the outlet or advertising interests because there are many, many documented examples of exactly this.
  18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Oh, yes!! God (can I say that here??? ) forbid that someone should actually invest their own money to try to give people the news and the perspective that exists no where else because all the other outlets are either: chained to their advertising income and never want to say anything to jeopardize that; or not clued in to the moment we are living in; or just have their own same old/same old agendas to follow (self-glorification, self-aggrandizement, self-promotion, etc. etc., etc.).

//
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So, then, is if the news "slant" of the owner is closer to the truth than anyone else, does that automatically mean the news outlet has "no integrity"??? Because that is what people have said -- incorrectly, falsely -- about TWT. The presumption of "falsehood" foisted onto the owner is in itself constructing a straw man: building a falsehood and then applying it to someone without showing any genuine connection.

//
  20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If it were just one guy thinking differently in a sea of diverse ownership or political leanings, there's not much harm in it. But let's ask a few critical questions: 1) Whose view are we getting exactly? 2) Why do we get these views or perspective in such a public, ostensibly authoritative, forum? 3) If the overall landscape is one of more or less sameness, is it healthy? 4) What is the point between reasonable reporting of facts in a balanced manner and propaganda, PR, or simply advertising disguising itself as reporting?