PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is our nickel back? and "real" cap number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at Miguel's pages, two things jumped out...

1) Man, are we thin at CB.... who plays nickel back?
We have 3 CBs on the roster, and one has a broken hand... Once Wilson comes back I guess Scott will be the third CB but what do we do until then? is Troy Brown really the answer? not sure I like that, seems less than ideal for any extended period.... it gets really ugly if Samuel or Hobbs has to miss anytime.

Miguel info:
CB - 3 Samuel, Hobbs, Chad Scott
S - 6 Wilson, Sanders, Harrison, Andrews, Hawkins, Baker

2) What is the "real" cap number?
Based on the following info, our cap number is not $7.4 but significantly less... what is the real number?

Miguel info:
If my number is correct, it would mean that the Pats are under their adjusted cap number by $7.4 million. Please note that my numbers do include the current cap effects of Richard Seymour's extension. My cap page is intended to show the Patriots' cap status at the time I publish the page. I am presuming that the Pats picked up the option sometime in August. That presumption was confirmed by a very reliable source.

CSTJohn -

Wilson and Hawkins are CB/S combos, though Hawkins is better at Safety than Corner now.

Miguel's 7.4 million IS the correct number based on Richard Seymour's bonus being paid. If Seymour's bonus hadn't been paid, then the Pats are even MORE under the cap, not less.

cstjohn17 said:
2) What is the "real" cap number?
Based on the following info, our cap number is not $7.4 but significantly less... what is the real number?

Miguel info:
If my number is correct, it would mean that the Pats are under their adjusted cap number by $7.4 million. Please note that my numbers do include the current cap effects of Richard Seymour's extension. My cap page is intended to show the Patriots' cap status at the time I publish the page. I am presuming that the Pats picked up the option sometime in August. That presumption was confirmed by a very reliable source.

I believe that the Pats are under the cap by around $7.4 million. I did not think that my wording would cause anyone to believe that I thought different. I will change it.

DaBruinz said:
CSTJohn -

Wilson and Hawkins are CB/S combos, though Hawkins is better at Safety than Corner now.

Miguel's 7.4 million IS the correct number based on Richard Seymour's bonus being paid. If Seymour's bonus hadn't been paid, then the Pats are even MORE under the cap, not less.

Unless Wilson shows some improvement, I would like to see Hawkins stay at Safety for the rest of the year (even after Harrison returns). Still curious about CB for this weekend versus the Jets, is Troy Brown the 3rd CB?
Also it looks like the weather will be crap which will reduce the passing games.
http://www.wunderground.com/US/MA/Foxboro.html

Salary Cap - Thats what I meant, just typed it wrong, if the bonus has not been paid we have more $$ left. It makes sense that the bonus has been paid, I wonder if Miguels source is 6'6 and 310 pounds...

Last edited:
whatever happened to derrick strait
seems like if hes still avail picking him up right before we play the jets wouldnt be too bad of an idea

Yep. With Harrison, Wilson, Gay, and Tebucky down, Troy, who was originally 9th or so on the DB depth chart, is up to 5.

This is not great news for the offense either.

We cut Poteat and replaced him on the roster with no one. The FO didn't think anyone else would pick him up.

We are now paying for this personnel error. Troy Brown is a defensive back until everyone is healthy, and probably even then. Does the FO really prefer to play Brown at CB to playing Poteat? Could not having old Hank really be one of the keys to losing a game or two? It shouldn't happen, but it could. We are taking this risk for no reason.

mgteich said:
We cut Poteat and replaced him on the roster with no one. The FO didn't think anyone else would pick him up.

We are now paying for this personnel error. Troy Brown is a defensive back until everyone is healthy, and probably even then. Does the FO really prefer to play Brown at CB to playing Poteat? Could not having old Hank really be one of the keys to losing a game or two? It shouldn't happen, but it could. We are taking this risk for no reason.
My only question on this is who would the team NOT have, if Hank was not cut. I believe this was when Yates was moved up as both Hich and Neal were out..so ne has to look at the larger picture. I agree it might have bee nice to keep him, but who would have not been there..Spann?? And with SChulters signed to Atlanta..getting a quality or even an OK safety may not be the easiest.

Leave Scott and Hawkins at safety and move Wilson to corner when he returns. Wilson wasn't doing too good at safety, why not try him back at corner. Looked OK in the PS and thats what he was drafted for.

Did the Patriots cut Willie Andrews yet?

If so then we are horribly thin at CB.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Did the Patriots cut Willie Andrews yet?

If so then we are horribly thin at CB.
NO Andrews is still on the team and doing fine on special teams.

Until Wilson comes back let's assume he's not available (though I keep scratching my head over this notion that he's played poorly, if anyone has a detailed analysis of his play and could post it I'd appreciate it - we can forgo the "he sucks" analysis as unhelpful in the discussion).

CB: Hobbs, Samuel
S: Hawkins, Sanders/Scott

If we assume they're the first five on the depth chart it becomes a simple rotation based on Sanders or Scott starting:

Scott starts, Sanders comes in at SS, Scott rotates over to CB, and one of the CBs slides in over the slot.

Sanders starts, then Scott comes in and one of the other two slide in over the slot.

Depending on the ability of the Jets to field a 4 or 5 wide formation, Troy would probably be used in dime packages, but Andrews is an option depending on how well he has picked up the coverage schemes and onfield communications (This is about the time of year when rookie DBs have started expanding their role and shining. See; Gay 2004, Hobbs 2005.).

Troy may also be used in nickel packages depending on what the Jets are doing and what Pees wants to do to confound them - situational football in BB speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes