Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who Is Our Biggest Threat to Repeating As AFC Champions?

• Bengals

Votes: 75 54.3%
  • Broncos

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Colts

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Steelers

Votes: 58 42.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's got to be the Bengals. They are undefeated, less injured than us, and are playing cupcakes like the Browns and (surprisingly) the Ravens.
I wonder what happens if we finish with the same record?

1. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

The Pats and Cincy have 4 common opponents. Buffalo, Pitt, Houston and Denver, with the Pats playing the Bills twice and Cincy playing Pitt twice.

Steelers offense scares me, I think it's more potent, with more weapons, and I'd be more worried about Roethlisberger than Dalton in a playoff game.

But I voted Cincy because they're a more complete team. Stacked roster, top to bottom, with a good pass rush, secondary, running attack and a WR/TE combo that could give the Pats trouble. And while HFA isn't being considered per the OP, it's almost a guarantee that a Steelers game would be in Foxboro while a possible game against the Bengals could be in either house. Per the general rule of '3 points for HFA', that's a 6-point swing that just be thrown away.

One of those two, then I'd add the Jets as a wild card concern, if only because they played the Pats well, have receivers the Pats secondary doesn't match up well against and a strong D. If the Pats O-line is still in shambles come the playoffs that front-4 would worry me too.

I wouldn't even list Denver, not after their defense has shown some cracks and it's obvious their offense is absolutely reeling.

Indy, meh...again, it would be in the Pats house and I'm just not worried about them.

Cincy-Pittsburg-NYJ, that's my order.

Bengals first steelers second. Id say the broncos if Peyton can put it all together for one game like he did against green bay.

I'm glad you all are so confident we'll squeeze into the playoffs to begin with ;)

I don't know what to make of the Bengals because Dalton was "Bad Andy" in the Cincy-Pitt game, which again makes me wonder how he'll do playoff time. The other thing is, Cincy has been incredibly fortunate thus far on the injury front (a year after being incredibly UNfortunate), and you've got to believe that at some point the law of averages will catch up to them at least a little bit. But it's tough to argue with their sterling results this year, and their top-to-bottom roster talent is really impressive.

Things change a huge amount week to week in the NFL, so maybe a team or two gets sorted out/hot and becomes a true challenger....but standing here right now, it just seems like the entire AFC field (sans NE of course) seems fatally flawed. I just have a tough time imagining anyone going into Foxboro and winning.

Re/ Pitt, 10 weeks in and they're still a very tough team to figure out. Part of that is due to injuries and associated lineup shuffling, but part of that is just inconsistency, particularly on defense.

That said, I'd love to see a NE-Pitt rematch. I don't think we'd win, but I think it could be a helluva entertaining game with Ben healthy and Martavis back in the mix. Maybe we'd even have someone cover Gronk this time ;) But we have a long, long road to even make it that far.

I'll say Steelers.

Peyton is toast.
Bengals can't seem to get into the endzone against the Texans on a MNF game.:rolleyes:

DEN is on a tail spin and Peyton is DONE
Bengals just lost at home to Texans... they're still the Bungles
Colts, lol
Steelers... if we face them, it'll be at home, no chance.

NO ONE.

I'm glad I picked the Steelers because that game was horrific. At least Ben has proved in the past that he can get it done.

I just hope they get the 5th seed so we don't need to play them till AFC Championship(I expect Broncos and Colts to lose in the first round).

We should still win but that's the closest challenger.

Injury bug?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

So their QB being 0-4 in the Playoffs (versus one who has 2 rings) means this is an easy answer?

That is just stupid.

Considering that up until their loss tonight we had very little margin for error in surrendering the lead for home field advantage in the playoffs.

So yes, if you turn your brain on the bengals were the biggest threat.

ourselves..and the injury bug obviously.

gotta keep marching to san fran!!!

The sad thing is that the Bengals have zero injuries. They had a few people on the injury report this week but basically nobody on IR. If the Patriots/Steelers were in the same position they would be destroying the competition.

For all the talk about how the AFCE is weak (year in year out), we are now the only division that has only one team under .500. I'm not afraid of anyone this year. Not even the AFC in the playoffs. Denver wouldn't be able to beat us IN Den with Peyton and the only team I would possible be nervous about is the Ravens, which aren't going to make the playoffs. NO one else scares me even a tiny bit. Even the Bengals in Cin (unlikely anyways). Steelers at home don't scare me.

So honestly, I'm ONLY worried about who we might face in the Superbowl. Any given Sunday of course, but that's it.

Not listed, and may not make the playoffs, but Oakland is a team I don't want to play. Not a great team depth-wise, but has plenty of talent at skill and important positions.

I'm going with the Steelers on the assumption the Steelers pull performances out of their behinds in the playoffs and they won't have to contend with the Ravens. Also, the Bengals, well January, yeah...

Considering that up until their loss tonight we had very little margin for error in surrendering the lead for home field advantage in the playoffs.

So yes, if you turn your brain on the bengals were the biggest threat.
Turn my brain on?

Dude they just lost 10-6 to the TEXANS AT HOME.

I'm not concerned if it's Brady on the road there.

Bengals!

/end thread

You havent been watching enough bengal games even before tonight they were aweful against pitt offensively. Pitt when healthy is a way better team than the bengals...who are basically the team who helped tom brady remember he was tom brady last year.

For all the talk about how the AFCE is weak (year in year out), we are now the only division that has only one team under .500. I'm not afraid of anyone this year. Not even the AFC in the playoffs. Denver wouldn't be able to beat us IN Den with Peyton and the only team I would possible be nervous about is the Ravens, which aren't going to make the playoffs. NO one else scares me even a tiny bit. Even the Bengals in Cin (unlikely anyways). Steelers at home don't scare me.

So honestly, I'm ONLY worried about who we might face in the Superbowl. Any given Sunday of course, but that's it.

Health's a concern. This team can't afford to keep losing players and they need edelman back. Edelman's going to work extra hard to come back in 7 weeks

It's the Steelers ans it's not even close. Elite qb with the best WR in the game + Martavis Bryant. Hopefully DeAngelo Williams will feel the long season until the play offs. With a healthy Roethlisberger they are a lock for second best team in the AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes