PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is our best TE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Watson streaking down the middle of the field is going to command much more defensive attention than any other TE on this team rright now. End of story.
If I was a defender my top priority would be Watson. I would keep an eye on him all game. Because I know how he likes to pop the ball up in the air like hes setting volleyballs, and I figure if I even get a hand on him after he does miraculously catch one hes liable to fumble. Hes just a big defensive play ready to happen.
I will be so glad when he is gone. The thing about Thomas is he got injured when we had Brady so most of what we have seen has been Cassel throwing to him. Give him a year with Brady before we consider him a bust. Watson is a bust already.

Can we look at 2007 numbers instead of 2008? I mean Moss fell down the hill by 12 TD's for crying out loud. No one's barking about Moss dropping sure TD's this year.

Watson is our best TE and was #3 in rec. TD's in 2007 and his blocking in 2008 was vastly improved over 2007.

There's an obvious trend here to select whipping boys, repeat the same tired lines ("Kaczur is a turn-style" being one of my fave examples of forum-wide insanity), and try to sound smart.

Ben Watson knows the system, has elite speed, has shown improvement blocking, declined less in every area than our star receivers and gets the blame for uncaught balls that were throwaways.

Put away the glue kids, Ben is our #1 TE if you play Madden. If you watch real Football, Ben suits certain situations where Baker will suit others. Wendy suits maintaining bench stability in the case of a sudden loss of gravity.

judging by the adoration for Ben Watson (as shown above), you must think he's going to be resigned? TE's don't cost much. Lowest paid position after kickers.
That being said, I think very few people on here expect them to resign the guy. And I think that's telling.

Watson will be resigned , Last year he played 80% of offensive snaps next to Moss and Wes . He has developed his blocking alot and if you want proof look at our running backs success. TE are the outside blockers and in pulling gaurd runs he is the one blocking the DE. If is blown in by the DE the runs are dead. so do give him some credit our success in running when we pull a gaurd.

He makes some spectacular catches and then drops some simple ones that is the head scratches. He is great for now as moss and wes do the catches and when in pattern no LB can cover him 1 on 1.

judging by the adoration for Ben Watson (as shown above), you must think he's going to be resigned? TE's don't cost much. Lowest paid position after kickers.
That being said, I think very few people on here expect them to resign the guy. And I think that's telling.

unless he asks for too much money I would fully expect us to try and resign him.

I would say its watson, he just needs to be better at catching the ball but his blocking is great.

I would say its watson, he just needs to be better at catching the ball but his blocking is great.
No he is an average at best blocker who has stone hands and turns the ball over a lot. Brady must hate him the way he likes to "set" the ball up in the air. I remember in 2007 at least one of Bradys 8 ints. Should have been attributed to Watson. Brady threw the ball right into his shoulder Watson caught it, turned and someone hit his elbow and the ball shoots 20 feet into the air. Thats just one of many examples. The Watson experiment is over. He will not even be attempted to be resigned.

Watson will be resigned , Last year he played 80% of offensive snaps next to Moss and Wes . He has developed his blocking alot and if you want proof look at our running backs success. TE are the outside blockers and in pulling gaurd runs he is the one blocking the DE. If is blown in by the DE the runs are dead. so do give him some credit our success in running when we pull a gaurd.

He makes some spectacular catches and then drops some simple ones that is the head scratches. He is great for now as moss and wes do the catches and when in pattern no LB can cover him 1 on 1.
The unfortunate thing is no one needs to cover him

And the chances of Watson catching that ball while streaking down the middle are less than 50/50. It won't matter if the QB doesn't have confidence in him making the catch. You HAVE reviewed the numbers above, haven't you?

Have you seen a certain group of receivers with Patriot uni's shred opposing secondaries over the past few years?? DO you not think that having Watson as that threat doesn't draw coverage away from the WR's an slot receiver - hence, proving his worth and value??

I'd probably say Watson- not what you want from a first round pick, but he's by no means bad. He's a credible threat whenever he's on the field, and there's something to be said for that. I have high hopes for Baker, as well, as the more blocking-oriented complement. As far as Thomas is concerned, he just hasn't impressed me at all, really. The few distinct impressions that I have of him are bad ones, like the dumb penalty from the Colts game.

The unfortunate thing is no one needs to cover him

I'm sure every DC in the league just goes in on Sunday knowing that Watson can be left wide open on every play. That sounds reasonable. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Going back over the season I think we were maybe a little unfair to Watson. 80% of the time he was kept in the block so as Cassel had more time. And he got very good at that towards the end of the year. He had some bad drops yes but the bulk of his work was good

Under Brady he's always caught balls, they're on the same page and I think you'll see him and Baker catch balls next year with Watson more out of the gun and Baker on running plays

Folks should also remember that Cassel never looked at Ben for the first half of the season. :D

how many years has Watson been in the league? Does it take five seasons for all tight ends to learn how to block by the end of the fifth season? I should hope not. the guy just doesn't have it. that being said, with his five years of slow progression, he might very well be our top TE with Baker close behind, but I say after this sixth season we turn the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes