Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who is on the Maybin bandwagon?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by PATSNUTme, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

Unlike previous years, there are very few players in this draft that I say "no way" for the Patriots. But Maybin is one player that I hope the Patriots do not draft.

I just don't like the player. From things I have read about him, I think he is one player that really played for a payday last year and will not be a dedicated pro once he signs a big contract.

Am I wrong? Convince me, if you like this player.

2. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +169 / 2 / -1

#24 Jersey

Why do you think he played for a Payday? Draft Countdown's scouting report says he is a hard worker...a team leader. Has a ton of upside and also has a nonstop motor. Personally I think he is physically immature but that will change over the next two years when his frame gets maxed out. His first step off the ball is explosive and he has some of the better coverage skills for the DE/OLB in this draft.

3. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,780 / 10 / -7

I think he will go higher than 23 as a pass rusher. I don't particularly want him. I think he showed better coverage skills and ability to move to the ball than I had expected at the combine, but he is mainly a pass rusher and is a liability against the run.

4. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +276 / 10 / -3

Maybin didn't know he was going to start this year. He busted his ass to earn a spot on the starting squad. Helped along by M.Evans being busted for smoking pot prior to the first game. He was only a 3rd year soph. I'm not saying he's a great prospect. I don't think
    he's developed physically and should have come back for at least another year. So, the potential to not cut it for a year or two is there. But, it won't be because of a lack of work.

What personal info do you have to show that he's not a hard-worker? What personal info do you have to think that he's in it for the money? Do you know that his mother died after giving birth to his younger sister? Raised by his father and step-mom. Smart kid who would have graduated had he stayed another year. Nothing at all like you're trying to portray him.

5. juxtapoz15

juxtapoz15 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

I really don't think Maybin was playing for a payday as well. Heck he wasn't even a starter until Maurice Evans was suspended. From everything that I've read and seen he was expecting to come back for at least one more year until the draft advisory board blew him away with their "mid to late first round" grade. I think that type of money would make just about anyone change their mind.

I think I agree with most on this board that I don't think he is a 3 down player in the 3-4 for at least a couple of years. But from every Penn State game I've watched he's shown to be a playmaker with an explosive first step. I think if he was used properly he could be a pro bowler within 3-4 years.

6. BlackFrancis

BlackFrancis Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If they picked Maybin, it would scare the hell out of me. That said, he is the one OLB candidate who consistently sacked the QB last season. Everybody else either stat padded against the weak sisters or had their sacks come in bunches while being invisible in other games. Maybin had at least 1 sack in 9 of his 13 games last season. None of the others can say that.

I wouldn't be jumping for joy if he were picked but based on his sophomore productivity, you can certainly make a case for him.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  7. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +34 / 3 / -2

#80 Jersey

Not a fan.

8. mesoslo

mesoslo Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like him, he can play at DE and cover as an OLB, I dont know how well he is against the run though. He also has long arms like Jason taylor.

9. bakes781

bakes781 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

He's not a fit for us. And with so many teams switching to a 3-4 that hurts his stock BIG time IMO.

10. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,720 / 9 / -2

#50 Jersey

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Aaron Maybin circa 2011-12. I think he's enormously talented, and by all accounts has a good head on his shoulders. But he should be playing in the Big 10 in 2009. I can't spend a 1st on a kid I can't project to full-time starter by 2010.

11. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,780 / 10 / -7

I would tend to agree with you, though Meriweather wasn't a clear full time starter in 2008 until Rodney Harrison went down. Maybe "be a starting level player" is a better way to phrase it than "project to a full-time starter". I think the standard for a 1st round pick in the 20s for the Pats should be (1) contribute immediately on STs and as a situational player, (2) get significant playing time by the middle or latter part of their rookie year, and (3) be at the level of a starter by their 2nd year. That seems reasonable, and is pretty much what we got from both Wilfork and Meriweather. Anything more is a bonus (as with Mankins). Anything less is sub-optimal.

12. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

Don't blow a gasket. I said that was the impression that I got from reading reports on him, PFW, Linsey's, Sporting News, and on line sites. I watched sevral PSU game this year and he did not make any impression on me.

So, you have some info to share about the player? please do. I want to be convinced that my impression is wrong. I have noting againts the kid and would be thrilled if he is the real deal.

13. CoachK

CoachK Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

From everything I have read, that sounds about right.

14. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,780 / 10 / -7

15. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +375 / 68 / -49

No Jersey Selected

Didn't Maybin weigh 249 at the combine? I seem to remember the guys there from the NFLN saying that they were surprised that he was so heavy, considering that he played closer to 240, if not 235.

His height's good, but how is his wingspan?

His vert./horiz. jumps are good, too, but he may be more straight-line fast than COD-fast.

Has he even developed a pass-rush arsenal, or has he just relied on the aforementioned straight-line speed?

And the fact that he studied under the ancient Joe Pa hasn't helped him or anyone else from Penn State recently.

Final answer: No thanks.

Edit: I just read the NFP article, and acc. to Wes, Maybin's wingspan is good, too. And his youth helps him, because he still could grow into a natural 250+, not the bulked-up 249 he is now. To me, he is in the same group as the other conversion guys, however; he is def. not a half-round better than them.

Edit Part Deux: I like that Wes answers his own e-mails.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  16. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Maybin had to pack on around 20 lbs between the Rose Bowl and the Combine.

Either Mike Mayock or Charles Davis talked about wanting to take a ball to Penn State to see if it would roll downhill where the Pro Day 40 is held - this was part of a discussion on notoriously fast Pro Day tracks.

At the Combine Maybin's change of direction and jumps reportedly had scouts disappointed, but now they're reportedly happy again because he improved his 40 by .14, his vertical jump by 2" and his broad jump by 6" at his Pro Day...the trouble with the reports of happy scouts is his ten split was only .03 better, as was his 20 split - so his most significant improvement came on the back 20 of his 40. The improvement in his jumps is about normal for what we see with players who redo their jumps at their Pro Days, I'm not in the least impressed with any of his "improvements" and suspect the reports of happy scouts is more from his agent's PR effort.

I will say in the brief glimpses of his Combine workouts we were shown between close-ups of Rich Eisen's smirk, Maybin looked pretty fluid in space, and weaker than a kitten in bag drills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.