Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who is going to step up?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by ELOrocks17, May 16, 2006.

1. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now is the time for the Democrats to stup up to the plate and offer.....something!

Problem is, The democrats have no solutions, and the people know this. Has any Dem in the past 5 years offered a scintilla of hope for the people. NO! All they do is play the blame game. First they go after Rumsfeld, Then its Libby, then its Rove, Then its Bush, then its back to Rumsfeld. All the Dems do is complain. There is NO leadership in the Dem party thats worth a damn! Why they dont? I have no clue as to why the only tactic they can come up with is lying, scheming, and backbiting. If all you libs want a Democrat in the White House, you better tell your congressmen to get off thier assez and start offering a sulution to the problems, not just fanning the flames of blame.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

They have offered some solutions, but they get buried in committee. I thought one good Democratic solution was to suspend the federal gas tax (18 cents) for 60 days and pay for it by closing some of the oil company loopholes. That idea went nowhere because the Republicans killed it. Other Democratic issues, such as environmental, social policy, and education have gone nowhere.

Here's part of what Kerry said on immigration:

“This is a moment when the far right is horribly wrong and leadership is required to set a course for common sense. We need a comprehensive answer to immigration that includes tightening border security, but putting another burden on the backs of the National Guard troops who are serving their second tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan isn’t the right answer. The National Guard which has borne the burden of a broken policy in Iraq shouldn’t have to bear the burden of an incomplete immigration policy. The right answer is to listen to the 9/11 Commission and put the border patrol agents we need right there on the border. It won’t satisfy the right wing, but it’s the right policy. That’s why I’m introducing a plan to put an additional 1,000 additional Border Patrol agents on the border next year, plus more 100 helicopters and 250 more power boats to secure our borders."

Might I suggest you respond to Kerry's suggestion by bringing up Clinton? It's easier than counting Kerry's suggestion.
  3. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

If you're looking for the solutions that you want, vote in the Republican primaries next time. Liberal solutions are highly unlikely to be to your taste and I don't think that any of us wants a Democrat in power at any cost. Actually, I'd just like to see someone who is economically competent and who understands diplomacy.

Nancy Pelosi HAS actually spelled out a programme for what she plans to do if she becomes Majority Leader. She plans to look at ALL of the WMD evidence, impeach Bush if it is clear that he lied. He might have some explaining to do, i.e. quite how the Iraqis went from being no threat in 2001(in the words of Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell- I can find you a link to the video where they say it, if you want) to being worthy of invasion in 2003. She also plans to increase the minimum wage and make sure that every new cent of spending is paid for by either new taxes or spending cuts. Remember that there was a budget surplus when Clinton left power. At some point, you need to ask what Bush is doing.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Remember the "Kerry Rant" during his failed campaign he said over and over again day after day, "I Have A Plan" "I Have A Plan" "I Have A Plan" but he has never told us what this great plan is or was, and he STILL WON'T TELL US, he won't tell us because he can't, he has no plan.

This is their plan:
    Get Bush-Get Bush-Get Bush-Get Bush, it is called the Get Bush plan.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  5. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah. Kerry could have really showed leadership, by accepting defeat gracefully and still try to put his "plan" into action. But what did he do? He disapeared from public. BTW..why would Kerry really want to be the PResident anyway? He would be a hell of alot more effective as a senator or private citizen to try (as he said) to help America.
  6. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

its too soon for 2008, but the one Democrat who's message of personal responsibility combined with his amazing charisma makes him the best hope since Clinton in 1992:
    Barack Obama
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

The "Democrats have nothing to offer Mantra" is once again a figment of the Republican strategists imagination. While I have not seen anyone I like emerging yet, I still have hope that a candidate will be fielded that is better than GWB and his heir to the throne. The problem becomes is the dirty tricks that have been perpetuated by this administration and its minions, look at the Swift Boat politics against Kerry and now Murtha, the voiting irregularities that have surfaced in Ohio and all of the rest of the half truths of these leaders currently in office. Whomever the Dems field, it will have to be someone who can fight back intelligently as imo the next election will be dirtier than the last, watch what is going on locally already it seems dirtier than it has ever been.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

NEM and GJAJ15,
    You were asked for Democratic solutions. You can't refute the statement "democrats have no solutions" with a statement about how the big bad republicans have silenced the democrats.

The press is available to the democrats. All they need is someone charismatic who is willing to throw a few bombs on Meet the Press. They don't have anyone or they do and are afraid to use him or her. The last presidential election was suffocated by the republicans - not illegally (except for the machines) - but rhetorically. Everything the democrats did was a reaction to the republicans. It was like watching the Patriots against the Jets. The democrats had nothing because they spent the day on defense. They had a good guy, even though I disagreed with a lot of his ideas, in Howard Dean. If nothing else, he at least had the balls to take on Bush with a full frontal assault, but we never got to see it because the DNC killed him after the "scream". Opportunity wasted because of fear of failure.

Don't blame the republicans - blame the democrats. Your response is the one the Dems have been using for 6 years and will use for another four if they don't put something forward the is very different regarding the so-called War on Terror.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Their solution to everything still is "DESTROY BUSH" they have become the party of "HATE"
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

That is not what I said, I was referring to whomever runs they will be subject to the dirty tricks that have become prevalent for the Republican method of getting elected. I am not worried, whoever runs I am sure will be more competent than the current boob in the White House.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Neither Dems or repubs have anything effective to offer to solve today's problems. The fact that the repubs are in power is undeniable, but even their "decisive" solutions have backfired except for enriching their friends. That may have been their one goal, in which case they have been tremendously successful. My point, as usual, and AAB's avatar comes to mind, is that both parties are corrupt and ineffective. A third party or a third, fourth and fifth party needs to make a major push NOW. The republicrat purples need to be politically destroyed, the sooner the better.
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I get sick and tired of people who say stuff like 'the Democrats aren't proposing anything.' Of course they are. The thing is Barack Obama isn't going to come walking into your kitchen and sit down and explain his party's vision for the future. Ted Kennedy ain't going to ring your door bell and explain why outsourcing needs to be contained and the minimum wage needs to go up. Well, if you have enough Chivas, Kennedy may just show up someday, but that's beside the point. And I'm afraid John Murtha is too busy trying to stop the war in Iraq to personally track you down and explain why it needs to end.

Try typing the letters 'dnc' into google and follow the first link you get. Look up top for a gray toolbar with the hyperlink 'agenda' in the center. You don't need NEM or GJAJ15 to do it for you either. All of that stuff is what would be happening if the Dems were in charge, and its what will happen if things change this November.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It's OK. This is an open forum.

I did google the DNC. There was a lot of Repub and Bush bashing. There was a lot of descriptions of Dem initiatives that were squashed byt the Repubs - true. That's what happens when you fail to gain control of Congress.

How do you think that happened? How, with the most inept, corrupt, and treasonous administration since...who?...I don't know - maybe the worst ever...how could the democrats lose?

They lost because they thought that burying Howard Dean, who was perceived by the media as being too "crazy" to be the President, and replacing him with the weakling, finger-in-the-wind Kerry whose only ability seemed to be reacting to anything the republicans threw out there. The point is that the dems seem to be afraid of losing more than they are willing to take a chance on winning. They don't have the balls to put Obama out there. I like Obama. I think he'd make a great President - no flies on him. He's as ready as Kennedy ever was. Trouble is, the DNC wouldn't have the guts to do it and you know it.
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No problem.

Dean didn't win the nomination because he focused too much on the young.

2 things about politics that are worth remembering. 1) if chicks wern't allowed to vote, the GOP as constituted today would be the LEFT-wing party in the USA and 2) if all of the young people in this country voted at the same rate as all of the old people, the Dems as constituted would be the RIGHT wing party in this country.
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You don't think Dean got dumped for the scream? Kerry magically came out of nowhere right after it. You may be right about the youth appeal hurting him in the DNC, but I think it was the scream that did him.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

I think this coupled with the extraordinary play that it got on Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly, Savage, Coulter and the rest of the crew. They went to town with this, I did not like it, but it got way too much air time. That is the point I am trying to make, whoever the Dems put forth, will be scrutinized and subject to every dirty trick possible by the folks currently in charge. Somewhere along the line there will be a backlash, as many of us are tired of hearing about how bad a person is, and not getting the opportunity to understand what he or she is planning on doing.
  17. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You all know, I trust, that "the scream" wasn't what it appeared to be. It was the result of using a highly directional mike pointing to Dean instead of an omnidirectional mike that captured all of the noise that was occurring at the time. When you see the same scene, shot at the same time, using an omnidirectional mike, you barely hear Dean. He was shouting at the time, but the audience was roaring. In fact, he was shouting BECAUSE the audience was roaring. A highly directional mike pointed at anyone else on the podium or in the audience would have produced the same "scream" effect we saw in Dean's case.

Bottom line: However you might feel about Dean, "the scream" wasn't what its gleeful publicizers want you to think it was.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Of course. That's my point.
    The media played the hell out of it, and it wasn't just Hannity and Fox...it was every outlet, some more than others. The problem the democrats had with it was how to deal with it. Dean made a mess of it too, but the party blew a chance to beat Bush by putting its tail between its legs and dumping Dean.
    I like Dean. I disagree on a lot of what he says, but I liked the contrast he presented to Bush. I liked his focus on domestic policy and his disdain for the chimp and his pasty-faced alien friends. He got screwed.