Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who is going to catch the ball??

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Sean Pa Patriot, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I know we will spread around the 5 catches Bethal Johnson made this past yr, but if inj happen at wr who is going to catch the ball.. I cant see us going with just Deion, Reche, Troy , and Chad, with Bam Childress in the wings...
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  2. SunnyDenmark

SunnyDenmark Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

few WR's

I was thinking the same thing - where are the WR's? However, I believe with Thomas (TE) being able to catch the ball - look for alot of 2 TE sets. Also if Garrett Mills can also catch out of the backfield as HB/FB - then that also gives flexibility. BB must have liked what he saw out of Thomas and Chad Johnson in the mini-camp, which allowed him the possibility of making Bethel expendible. Also, after 3 years in the system, if you (Bethel) can't catch more than 10 balls a year the last two years, then something is amiss. Especially with a QB like Brady who spreads the ball around. When the QB has lost confidence in the WR (or v.v), then it's time to move on.

Another positive is that there is ALOT of game tape on Johnathan Sullivan (DT). He basically has been in most every game for the last three years in 'Naw-lens. If there is more of an unknown talent in this trade - it has got to be Bethel who hasn't played anywhere near as many snaps as Sullivan. Even if Sullivan is just here to give Wilfork a break during the game - that is fine with me. Keeps our bulls fresh and strong. We will have one hell of a defensive line this year. As far as WR'ers - the Pats have proven that they can get by fine without star receivers. It is more important to somehow keep them healthy as that has been the biggest problem with our WR's the last few years. Cheers.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  3. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +677 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

I think they'll bring a lot of WRs into camp. They always do.

I don't think we'll get more than a fill in, though.
  4. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

We shouldn't be keeping more than 5 receivers. One could be inactive on a regular basis. I expect another free agent or two; but given a bit of health, we will go into the season with the five you mention. The tight ends and running backs will also catch the ball.

5. ctpatsfan1

ctpatsfan1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

WR: Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress
    TE: Watson, Graham, Thomas
    FB: Pass, Evans, Mills
    RB: Dillon, Faulk, Maroney

just my guess at the options Brady will have to throw too this season......WR is not as important as it has been in the past simply because of the potential for production at the WR, FB and RB positions.
  6. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

We do have tightends and running backs that can catch the ball too:
    Ben Watson, Daniel Graham, Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk say hello.
    Patrick Pass has been productive in the passing game too.

We drafted two tightends who were very productive pass catchers in college.
    David Thomas, Garrett Mills. Will they be just as productive in the pros? We'll have to wait and see.
    We have also drafted a pretty good RB, Laurence Maroney, who is also capable of catching the ball too. Will he be productive in the pros? We'll have to wait and see.

Check the Patriots depth chart. There are 5 other WRs on the roster:
    http://www.patriots.com/depthchart.cfm
    Zuriel Smith, Rich Musinski, Michael McGrew, John Stone, Erik Davis

Now I know, that they are all long shots to make the team. But you never know what can happen in training camp. BB/Pioli have a knack for finding gems. Remember David Givens?:)

The point that I'm trying to make is the Patriots offense is very flexible. They don't just rely on WRs to catch the ball. There are other options, IMO.
    Could we use another WR? Sure we could. But I really don't think it's that bad.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +450 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Trading Bethel doesn't impact the answer ;)

We have only one issue, that's Caldwell or Jackson stepping up as the #2 guy. After that we're fine with Branch, the other guy a #3 will be at least as good as Andre Davis, Troy and the TE.
  8. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Isn't it obvious? This is a prelude to the signing of Ty Law! As part of their maneuver to attract Ty without giving him any signing bonus, they're fulfilling Ty's dream of being a 2-way player.
  9. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Welcome to the board. It's always a pleasure to see Pats Fans from other countries.
  10. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Too many offensive skill position players. It's hard to see Pass AND Evans making the squad. It's easier to see neither than it is to see both.
  11. TNPatsFan

TNPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm sure they will sign another free agent WR or two, or maybe still make a trade.

If not, then I will try out as a WR. I've got good hands.. well, I've got TWO hands. And I have deceptive speed (if you think I'm fast, then you've been deceived).
  12. SunnyDenmark

SunnyDenmark Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Thanks dryheat44. Sorry to say I am not a (great) Dane living in Copenhagen but a former Bostonian. However, there are alot of new Danish football fans. Denmark has gone football crazy since I have been here - now 8 years. Having Morten Andersen (Dane) in the Super Bowl a few years ago helped - even though ATL lost. We now get BOTH Sunday national games telecast live here although with the time change that means 7 pm and 10 pm. It used to be only one game on Sunday. People are following all the teams - not just the successful ones so that is good as well. There are one or two bars here that have many fans show up for the Sunday games plus several SuperBowl parties. So it is not hard to be a NFL fan over here. GO PATS!