PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is best athlete ever in Boston/New England?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

The Best ever athlete in the Boston/New England area?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, when Orr retired I gave up watching hockey. As great a hitter that Ted Williams was, he's comparable to Manny on defense. He wasn't a threat to steal bases. He was arguably the greatest hitter of all time, not the greatest athlete. There is nothing I could possibly say to you if you do not see the magnificence of Orr, maybe that's the problem, you've never seen him.

I grew up playing hockey, as did everyone in my neighborhood, winter and summer (on the street). So I have no bias against hockey, as some have suggested. I have seen Orr play, I've met him in person and have an autographed picture of him.

Amen to that, brother...

I am not sure any city comes close, in an across the board (ie, major sports) comparison. NY, for example, doesn't have anyone to compare to Orr in hockey, Russell, Bird, and Cousy in basketball...

Take the Yankees out of NY and they hardly have anyone other than the dynastic Islanders team in the early 80's and I'll bet half of the New Yorkers you talk to wouldn't know Mike Bossy if they passed him on the street.

I grew up playing hockey, as did everyone in my neighborhood, winter and summer (on the street). So I have no bias against hockey, as some have suggested. I have seen Orr play, I've met him in person and have an autographed picture of him.

Good enough Pony. I'm glad that you had in informed decision.

Russell. He was the centerpiece of the 11 in 13 championship run, was an amazing shot blocker, rebounder and overall fierce competitor, had a more-than-worthy contemporary in Wilt to be measured up against (and got the better of him most of the time) and did all this in a very distracting time for black athletes; One example: There were road games where the black Celts would be denied lodging, so Red would take the entire team elsewhere. Imagine trying to maintain focus (let alone excellence) while always having that in the back of your mind. And let's not forget Russell wasn't 7'2" like Wilt, but rather 6'10" or close to that.

Orr and Williams tie for 2nd in my book. Orr revolutionized the defenseman's role in offense. Williams was a maestro with the bat, and hitting a baseball has a great argument as the toughest thing to do in all of sports and thus Williams deserves a ton of recognition for being so great at it.

Regards,
Chris

If you figure he would have hit 40 homers each year....that's another 200 and suddenly 500 is 700 and he might play in '61 to get Ruth's record.....

I love Teddy Ballgame, and I'm not trying to argue with you, just pointing this out: Ted hit 40 homers in a only one year. He would have reached alot of milestones had he not missed his years, but i dont' think Ruth's record was one of them. He would have been high 600's. Maybe he plays an extra year to try for the record, but doubtful, he was 41 and probably would have needed two years to get it.

I say Bobby Orr hands down. Unfortunately, most of our members are probably too young to have witness his grace on the ice. To this day, I've never seen another hockey player take over a game the way he could. He was so much better than all the other player in the league, it was at times embaressing to watch them chase him around the rink.

I'd have to vote for Bill Russel as a close second to Mr Orr. Russel was great, but he has other players who have played at his level since then and some would argue Chamberlain was at Russel's level. Besides, we're talking greatest athlete here, not greatest player to lead their team to championships. Barry Sanders was far better than Emmit Smith, but Smith has a couple of rings.

Bobby Orr. And if they had better surgery techniques 40 years ago (and guys on other teams weren't intentionally trying to take out his knees all the time which they were), he would have had a much longer career and set career marks for a defenseman that would be more unbreakable than Rice's career records.

Imagine a defenseman winning the scoring championship as Bobby Orr did. It's hard to think of something comparable in another sport. He was by far the best in the NFL in his day and still the best of all time in that sport, IMO. The only problem was his career was cut short. There's never been anyone like Bobby Orr and I doubt there ever will be.

What is best in life?

To crush your opponents, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their fans.

That is good! That is good!

Winning championships is the ultimate demarcation between the great and the greatest.

Bill Russell.

Bobby Orr:

Awards
1966-67 Calder Memorial Trophy 1967-68 James Norris Trophy 1968-69 James Norris Trophy
1969-70 Art Ross Trophy 1969-70 Hart Memorial Trophy 1969-70 Conn Smythe
1969-70 James Norris Trophy 1970-71 Hart Memorial Trophy 1970-71 James Norris Trophy
1971-72 Hart Memorial Trophy 1971-72 Conn Smythe Trophy 1971-72 James Norris Trophy
1972-73 James Norris Trophy 1973-74 James Norris Trophy 1974-75 Art Ross Trophy
1974-75 James Norris Trophy 1974-75 Lester B. Pearson

Calder Trophy: Rookie of the Year
Norris: Top Defensman
Art Ross: Top Scorer
Hart: MVP
Conn Smythe: MVP Stanley Cup
Lester B. Pearson: Most Outstanding Player selected by NHLPA

That is domination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMHVopFRQX4

Bobby Orr, hockey rinks were built because of him, TV38 was born due to the bruins, which was because of Bobby Orr. I have only seen footage of him play, but what a joke, nobody could touch him, never seen an athlete so far above his competition like Orr, who did this on a nightly basis.

Johnny A. Kelley (The Elder)- Won the Boston Marathon twice, , he finished in the top five 15 times between 1934 and 1950. Competed in the Olympics, ran 61 (finished 58) Boston Marathons finishing a marathon at the age of 84.:eek:

Johnny J. Kelley (The Younger) set course record in 1957 also ran second 5 times U.S. Marathon champion 8 straight times 1956-1963. Finished 38 marathons.

Last edited:

Orr signed one of his hockey sticks for me. Russell, I met, and asked him for an autograph. His response: "I don't sign autographs".

You'll find plenty of other NBA players that people will claim were the best, over Russell or Bird. Gretsky is about the only argument as best player ever, next to Orr.

Bobby Orr. And if they had better surgery techniques 40 years ago (and guys on other teams weren't intentionally trying to take out his knees all the time which they were), he would have had a much longer career and set career marks for a defenseman that would be more unbreakable than Rice's career records.

Imagine a defenseman winning the scoring championship as Bobby Orr did. It's hard to think of something comparable in another sport. He was by far the best in the NFL in his day and still the best of all time in that sport, IMO. The only problem was his career was cut short. There's never been anyone like Bobby Orr and I doubt there ever will be.

There'll be another Bobby Orr. Just like there will be another Tom Brady, another Teddy Ballgame, another Bill Russell.

That said, the only thing comparable I can think of would be the top RB running for more TDs than the top QB throws for. It's unthinkable. That's what Bobby Orr did, plus he was the best defensive player in the league as well, and he was a good fighter when it came time to drop the gloves.

P.S. The greatest athlete in Boston (and New York) history is Ruth. Bobby Orr might've been the best defensive and offensive player of his day, Russell an 11-time champion, but Ruth was the best hitter of his day (if not all time) and the best pitcher of his day.

Last edited:
11 Championships in 13 Seasons.

Any objective person has to say Bill Russell.

He is the epitome of 'winner'.

No need to say anything else. This really shouldn't even be close.

I agree, but only if we stipulate that Babe Ruth is not a New England athlete.

No need to say anything else. This really shouldn't even be close.

Favorite or best?

Favorite = Steve Grogan
Best = Larry Bird

The "best" arguement could change in another 5 years, however.

I LOVE Bird, but I saw him on NESN after the Pacers game, and let me tell you, that boy was never a prince, but he has aged into one UGLY furkin Hoosier!

Whew!

There'll be another Bobby Orr.

I hope I'm alive to see it because that kid is going to be Awesome!!!!!

Last edited:
I voted for Larry Bird because I am sentimental to the Celtics of the 80s so its more with my heart than my head,but seriously Bird is a decent choice of all mentioned.

BTW: Its nice to see a post and poll where virtually everyone is talking sports and no smack or the infamous I hate (insert team or player) threads
- its rare in Patsfans nowadays

HAHAHAHA!!

All but one of them are WHITE!

Oh man. Boston Boston Boston.

Hahahahaha.

We deserve our rep, fellas.

HAHAHAHA!!

All but one of them are WHITE!

Oh man. Boston Boston Boston.

Hahahahaha.

We deserve our rep, fellas.
Well, if it's any consolation, look who's leading the vote.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back