PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is best athlete ever in Boston/New England?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

The Best ever athlete in the Boston/New England area?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Orr. He not only dominated his sport...like many others in the poll did, but Orr also literally revolutionized his sport. I agree with the other poster, most in here may be too young to remember him, but before he came along, no defenseman scored like he did, and no defenseman controlled his teams offense like he did. And, his speed, and moves...well, just unreal. I have a VCR tape of his best goals, and its crazy.

then, in order, I would say Williams, greatest hitter ever, then Bird, greatest all around b-ball player ever, then Russell. After he retires Brady could be top 5 for me, but I dont' think he will beat out Orr, Ted or Bird for top 3 in my book.

Bill Russell was the best player on teams that won 11 rings and Brady has twice as many votes right now. Who can vote for Brady over Bill Russell? Wow.

People who are too young to see William Russell the greatest winner in the history of teams sports. Beyond his accomplishments with the Celts, he also won 2 NCAA championships at USF his junior and senior seasons.

Much as I love Orr, Brady and Williams...Russell is THE MAN!

Longtime, well, second time, but this thread inspired me to jump as I've been debating (with myself) the semantics re: this very question.

Cause Belichick has become my all-time favorite Boston __________.

I know "athlete" doesn't work here. Maybe "sports figure"? But that doesn't quite capture it either. In football, coaches are so much more involved in the play itself.

Especially the best one ever.

Coaches in other sports have increasingly insinuated themselves into their games, calling every pitch, calling every play IN BASKETBALL! (How many plays can there be? What would poor KC Jones have done?) But in football it's always been utterly necessary, too much timing, coordination, and strategy. And all those plays!

And practice seems far more a part of the game itself. An entire week for each contest, mimicking opposing players and plays, the connection between good weeks of practice and good games played.

Considering this and more, hard to not be in awe of the man after we've somehow won so many close, high stakes contests in which we've almost always seemed out manned. Before this year of course.

AND during the salary cap era. It drives me a little nuts that everyone always says the salary cap parity should've made dynasties no longer possible. But evening the talent makes coaching even more significant. Teams can no longer ride the same great players year after year, but if you're coaching staff is better than everyone else's... well, we know the result.

Plus running the show from top to bottom (humbly, I would add for the many ignorant haters)... and the Pats record in this era... and, for those of us older than 23, it's the friggin Pats for god's sake!

I know he's not an athlete, per se, but I want a list where he sits at or near the top, among Orr and Williams and Russell and Larry, not in a separate list where he kicks Dave Galvin's ass or something.

So I guess I'm voting "other"

Orr. He not only dominated his sport...like many others in the poll did, but Orr also literally revolutionized his sport. I agree with the other poster, most in here may be too young to remember him, but before he came along, no defenseman scored like he did, and no defenseman controlled his teams offense like he did. And, his speed, and moves...well, just unreal. I have a VCR tape of his best goals, and its crazy.

then, in order, I would say Williams, greatest hitter ever, then Bird, greatest all around b-ball player ever, then Russell. After he retires Brady could be top 5 for me, but I dont' think he will beat out Orr, Ted or Bird for top 3 in my book.

What he said. Orr changed the way the game was played. He was that good.

I can't think of another athlete in any sport that I could say that about.

Voted for Russell based on championships but feel the need to mention Rocky Marciano for consideration with all due respect to Marvin Hagler...the ONLY heavyweight champion in boxing history to retire without a defeat or a draw in his professional career.

Russell, Orr, Williams, Brady and Bird in no specific order... all are amongst the greats of all time, and all bring different, but similar things to their respective arenas.. very close vote, but have to go with Russell..

I second this post. All those guys were great. If I had to pick one, it would be Ted Williams.

Has to be Teddy Ballgame IMO. Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports and to get a hit 4 out of 10 times against the best the world has to offer is simply amazing. Can you imagine his stats if not for the (was in 2 year) layoff in his career?

I thought he missed 4 full seasons for WW2 and Korea.........

This subject would also change a lot if you added BEST SEASON EVER.

Russell and Bird would be less important, in that sense, but the top of the list would be populated by guys like Brady, Fred Lynn, Pedro Martinez for 1999, Kevin McHale in 1985 had a better season and was more dominant than Bird ever was, David Ortiz of 2006 (phenomenal in the clutch), Stanley Morgan the year he caught 80, Randy Moss. Drew Bledsoe in 1994?

Longtime, well, second time, but this thread inspired me to jump as I've been debating (with myself) the semantics re: this very question.

Cause Belichick has become my all-time favorite Boston __________.

I know "athlete" doesn't work here. Maybe "sports figure"? But that doesn't quite capture it either. In football, coaches are so much more involved in the play itself.

Especially the best one ever.

Coaches in other sports have increasingly insinuated themselves into their games, calling every pitch, calling every play IN BASKETBALL! (How many plays can there be? What would poor KC Jones have done?) But in football it's always been utterly necessary, too much timing, coordination, and strategy. And all those plays!

And practice seems far more a part of the game itself. An entire week for each contest, mimicking opposing players and plays, the connection between good weeks of practice and good games played.

Considering this and more, hard to not be in awe of the man after we've somehow won so many close, high stakes contests in which we've almost always seemed out manned. Before this year of course.

AND during the salary cap era. It drives me a little nuts that everyone always says the salary cap parity should've made dynasties no longer possible. But evening the talent makes coaching even more significant. Teams can no longer ride the same great players year after year, but if you're coaching staff is better than everyone else's... well, we know the result.

Plus running the show from top to bottom (humbly, I would add for the many ignorant haters)... and the Pats record in this era... and, for those of us older than 23, it's the friggin Pats for god's sake!

I know he's not an athlete, per se, but I want a list where he sits at or near the top, among Orr and Williams and Russell and Larry, not in a separate list where he kicks Dave Galvin's ass or something.

So I guess I'm voting "other"

Red Auerbach over BB if you're opening the debate up THIS much.....*sigh* and here I was thinking our Pats were pretty good

Ted missed 43,44,and 45 and played 6 games in 52 and 37 in 53.

Last edited:
1) Bobby Orr
2) Tom Brady
3) Bill Russell
4) Ted Williams
5) Larry Bird

No other votes for Williams? Seriously?

Williams is either the best or second best hitter in baseball EVER. The only one that even comes close is Ruth, and you can argue Williams was better (more competitive era, lost 5 prime years to war, no lineup protection). He was voted on for MVP every single year of his career, while playing on some dreadful Boston teams. Excluding his 1959 season, every single year of his career, was at worst equal to what Alex Rodriguez did this year, or what Pujols has done the last few years. His career average for ops/slug/obp is probably comparable to any other players career highs (minus Ruth).

To put it another way, Williams and Ruth are to baseball what Gretzky and Lemieux are to hockey. Bird Brady Russell and everyone else were great, but what was normal for Williams is what the elite players of today might expect to do maybe once or twice in their career. Maybe. His career OPS+ (a baseball stat that shows how well of a hitter you are in contrast to your era) is higher than any active player has ever had as a career high. This is like Brady having a higher career quarterback rating than any other player ever hitting for one season.

Williams easy, followed by Russell / Bird / Brady, in that order. Yaz Rice and Clemens shouldn't even be options.

Yea I agree, I think Williams could easily be the best, and Brady could soon be, but he hasn't been known for as long as these other players.

He missed three of those years, because he was helping his country win a war, which should if it has any effect help his cause not sink it.

Best Athlete- Bobby Orr and not ever close
Greatest Winner- Bill Rusell

Sorry Bird fans.

And, the WWII years weren't just any years...those were triple crown years...you look at what he was doing in '41 (.406) and '42 (triple crown) and in '46 (triple crown)....

even so, I voted for Orr...becasue Ted wasnt the all around player that Orr was in his sport.

He flew in Korea in 52 if I remember correctly...really in essence he missed five seasons.

Really, really tough to determine, but I chose Orr because of the impact he had on the overall game and how it is played. My other choices were Williams or Russell.

What....no votes for Bonnie Blair?

Doug Flutie? Paul Pierce? Reggie Lewis? Cam Neely? Manny Ramirez? Yes I understand you can only post so many candidates. I'd love to see the results if everybody could vote for their top 10.

No votes for Roger Clemens, whom might be the greatest pitcher ever? You have to be some kind of athlete to be dominant in your 40s.

What about Boston athletes who didn't play in Boston professionally? Jeremy Roenick, Robbie Ftorek, Patrick Ewing, Keith Tkachuk, Tom Barrasso to name a few. A few years ago SI did a top 100 list of each states' top athletes ever. Maybe I'll try to find it.

For the record, I go with Orr, every time.

Edit: That was easy...here it is: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/features/si50/states/massachusetts/greatest/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back