PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who in this draft can contribute immediately on defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Mr. Box; I would post more, but my entries seem to be caught in an as-yet-unexplained time warp lasting a couple of days. Kinda makes it hard to keep current in a thread.

As for poor ol' Mike, he'll turn 34 before Opening Day. How many OLB/DEs, one of whose duties is to rush the QB, are effective at age 34 and can still display the required explosiveness & closing speed? What I saw throughout this past season from him is what happens to everyone, eventually, and I don't see how being another year older will improve the situation. That's why I feel that he is now better-suited to help us at SILB, as he did in '05 after the miserable failure of the Beisel/Brown disaster.

After all, what are NFL players if not (well-paid) cannon fodder?
I'm just an old softy; cannon fodder inhabit state and federal capitals, and major city administrations...but I digress.

Certainly the odds are against Vrabes, and I expect we'll see some kind of action regarding his cap hit, but I don't see any percentage to moving him inside - he's just not going to be as effective there as he will outside. Thomas will be effective inside and, as was noted above, Guyton rotating in for nickel situations and Thomas sliding back outside improves the pass rush.
-- Guyton created some decent pressure blitzing last season, I'm interested to see how he does after going through the offseason program.
-- Mayo should also be more effective after the offseason program - from his profile at NFL Draft Scout: "Physical playing inside the box, his excellent range and quick burst as a blitzer helped him collect 21 tackles behind the line of scrimmage during his last two seasons at UT." He had 5 sacks and 5 QBH from WLB his junior year, so he will factor into the pressure mix too.

We need to replace James Sanders too. We need a hitter back there unless Rodney comes back but he hasn't been able to last the season. Meriweather is improving but we need a hitter that stops Keller in his tracks on third down.

Exactly.I like SS Nik Harris of Oklahoma. He can help now. He is 6'3" and 233lbs. He is very good on coverage and hits like a tank and has 4.5 speed. He has good hands as well. Put him with Merriweather at Safety and you can see him start or have many plays even if Harrison comes back. He can also jump in the box and play OLB, which is what Harrison does. He also plays ST and is a fine citizen (see BB).Why he is projected as an OLB when he has been a SS all his college career is puzzling? The kid can cover!
DW Toys

Our entire secondary gets better with someone who can rush the passer, we could not generate any QB pressure this year, and that was our weakest link.

I think drafting a CB or SS in the first is not a good use. The Giants, and Steelers won with speed rushing, and up front defense. Other than Troy P, the steelers have no names at CB... Heck they haven't had talent at the CB position since I can remember...

Last edited:
I'm just an old softy; cannon fodder inhabit state and federal capitals, and major city administrations...but I digress.

Certainly the odds are against Vrabes, and I expect we'll see some kind of action regarding his cap hit, but I don't see any percentage to moving him inside - he's just not going to be as effective there as he will outside. Thomas will be effective inside and, as was noted above, Guyton rotating in for nickel situations and Thomas sliding back outside improves the pass rush.
-- Guyton created some decent pressure blitzing last season, I'm interested to see how he does after going through the offseason program.
-- Mayo should also be more effective after the offseason program - from his profile at NFL Draft Scout: "Physical playing inside the box, his excellent range and quick burst as a blitzer helped him collect 21 tackles behind the line of scrimmage during his last two seasons at UT." He had 5 sacks and 5 QBH from WLB his junior year, so he will factor into the pressure mix too.

Mmm...pols as cannon fodder...I like it.

As long as Vrabel is used strictly as a 1st-down/short-yardage OLB, then I can live with it. As you say, that's what TC is for, to see who's got what. Maybe, if the pass rush still proves inadequate, the FO might pull a Mt. Washington-style trade for an OLB/DE in the last year of his contract, just before Opening Day.

And you're also right that we should see more blitzing from Mayo & Guyton, and Meriweather too. That blitz/strip against Seattle at the end of the game was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes