PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who has had a more impressive reign in the 2010s? LeBron James or Tom Brady?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who has had a more impressive reign in the 2010s? LeBron James or Tom Brady

• Brady

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • LeBron

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 2010s, across sports, etc., hard to say it's Brady... going just by the 2010s he looks like say Jim Kelly except with one bright spot (which I guess equals John Elway.)

Whole body of work, no contest, any sport. Especially when he gets one for the thumb this year.

Woah woah woah, slow down there. You can't straight up compare the sports that way. What LeBron has done is incredible and if he beats the Dubs again he is absolutely into the GOAT convo. But, the sports are so much different. It's a lot easier to have an upset in the NFL than it is the NBA due to not only the nature of the sport (a turnover in basketball is nowhere near as costly as it is the NFL) and 7 game series vs one and done. That only tells a fraction of the story saying Brady hasn't been to six straight. I'm going to tend to lean towards LeBron though, that Dubs series was one of the most incredible comebacks ever. I gotta tip my hat to him. But, it's close Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time and has been the best of this decade.

LeBron has also had his share of upsets throughout his career (some of them coming at the hands of Celtics :D). But I agree, upsets are more common in football and single-game tournaments.

I know people in New England dislike LeBron a lot, but as a Pats fan, I can relate to having your favorite athlete be despised by the rest of the country.

What's also remarkable, are the statistical parallels between LeBron and Brady. Statistically, they both hit their career peak in the 2010s, and for the past six years, have arguably been the most elite players in their respective sport.

You can see their stretch of dominance in the postseason:

LeBron James has been in the NBA finals for the past six consecutive seasons, and in that span, his teams have always been either #1 or #2 in the Eastern Conference.

Tom Brady has appeared in five consecutive AFC Championship games, and his team has had a first-round bye week for the past 7 years.

There have been many other players who have had MVP-caliber seasons in that span, or have won titles. But those players have always had to go through either LeBron James or Tom Brady. No other marquee player has been as dominant in the postseason as these two. Statistically, I wonder which of the two comes out as being more dominant.

Assuming you can put your homerism aside for a bit (yeah right) I'd be curious to know your thoughts...
There is no comparison. Closely examine all the dynamics involved in both sports, and while I have nothing against LeBron, he's maybe on the level of George Mikan, in terms of personal accomplishments.

Brady's rewriting history.

There is no comparison. Closely examine all the dynamics involved in both sports, and while I have nothing against LeBron, he's maybe on the level of George Mikan, in terms of personal accomplishments.

Brady's rewriting history.

I feel Brady has carried his team in a way no QB ever has - especially in a Salary Cap era, where there's so many roster changes and personnel change from year to year. No other QB has had to deal with the kind of chaos that has confronted Brady and his teammates. He's been able to elevate the quality of play from those around him, no matter how sudden or drastic the change.

For instance, we've seen him put up an MVP season with rookie TEs and an injured Wes Welker (while losing Randy Moss). We've seen him carry a team all the way to the Super Bowl, despite having a notoriously fragile defense that allowed an historic amount of passing yards. And we've also seen him take a team with a depleted receiver corps to the AFC title game.

Montana had great 49er teams with defenses that were routinely in the Top 10, and while he certainly took advantage of the support he got from the other end of the ball, he never had to deal with the kinds of challenges Brady faced - which make his achievements all the more impressive!

I do have a girlfriend btw...she's just not into sports as I am. If she was, I wouldn't be talking to you losers :p:p :D (not as much at least)
Hangover_02b44c_476712.gif

I didn't vote. The 2010s thing is weird. Why not just compare their careers. It sure is simpler, even if the two sports don't match well. I think Brady wins over the long haul, and Lebron over a shorter career span.

I didn't vote. The 2010s thing is weird. Why not just compare their careers. It sure is simpler, even if the two sports don't match well. I think Brady wins over the long haul, and Lebron over a shorter career span.

As I mentioned earlier, Brady and LeBron both hit their career primes starting in 2010, and their streak of consecutive Finals and AFC title appearances overlap as well.

These kinds of cross-sports comparisons are never perfect. If you want to compare their entire careers, you're welcomed to do so - but they both came in with very different expectations. But each of them have set a unmatched standard of consistency and elite, dominant play - and don't seem to be running out of steam anytime soon.

C'mon, LeBron has easily had the more impressive run.
-LeBron has 3 championships, Brady has 1
-LeBron has played in the finals every freeakin' year, Brady has made the Super Bowl twice
-LeBron has 2 MVP awards, Brady has one

Plus Brady had one notable down year.

Bill Russell ( 8 straight championships) says hi..................
also TEN straight Finals appearances... they dropped 58 when Russell was injured. They won 11 in 13 years, and only 67 in that 13 year stretch were they not in the FInals.. Won 11 out 12 appearances, had 10 straight appearances, won 8 in a row, overall 11 out of 13 1957-1969.

Woah woah woah, slow down there. You can't straight up compare the sports that way. What LeBron has done is incredible and if he beats the Dubs again he is absolutely into the GOAT convo. But, the sports are so much different. It's a lot easier to have an upset in the NFL than it is the NBA due to not only the nature of the sport (a turnover in basketball is nowhere near as costly as it is the NFL) and 7 game series vs one and done. That only tells a fraction of the story saying Brady hasn't been to six straight. I'm going to tend to lean towards LeBron though, that Dubs series was one of the most incredible comebacks ever. I gotta tip my hat to him. But, it's close Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time and has been the best of this decade.
The other thing about this whole thread is BOTH players started their careers significantly before 2010. I think a more appropriate comparison is both's entire career. I still think Lebron would win that comparision as well but this feels like an impossible comparison to me really due to how different of a game it is. Even within basketball it self it is hard to compare a 6 foot 4 Point guard with sick skills verse a dominant 7 foot center. How much harder is it to compare the greatest QB of all time to Lebron James? Like who is greater Gretsky, or Ted Williams? If it is going to based on championships you have to give it to Bill Russell. Honestly championships is the only legit reason people say Magic was better than Bird. In reality Bird was way better than Magic.

Lebron with out a shadow of a doubt... He has been to 6 straight NBA finals. Tom has not been to 6 straight super bowls. CASE CLOSED
No. If it were Brady +4 instead of Brady +21, maybe. As is, no.

C'mon, LeBron has easily had the more impressive run.
-LeBron has 3 championships, Brady has 1
-LeBron has played in the finals every freeakin' year, Brady has made the Super Bowl twice
-LeBron has 2 MVP awards, Brady has one

Plus Brady had one notable down year.

I agree that LeBron currently has the edge (not just in the number of championships and accolades, but statistically, he's been dominant throughout this entire stretch). But given the single-game elimination structure of the NFL playoffs (and the 16-game regular season schedule) the margin of error is a lot smaller in football; not to mention, it's far easier for a single athlete to take over a game on a basketball court than it is on a football field. So when grading Brady, you have to weigh those considerations.

As I mentioned earlier, Brady and LeBron both hit their career primes starting in 2010, and their streak of consecutive Finals and AFC title appearances overlap as well.

These kinds of cross-sports comparisons are never perfect. If you want to compare their entire careers, you're welcomed to do so - but they both came in with very different expectations. But each of them have set a unmatched standard of consistency and elite, dominant play - and don't seem to be running out of steam anytime soon.

What troubles me is the assumption of "prime. How could two players so different in age both hit their career primes in the same year? I still think Brady is tops over his full career (much longer) and James over his shorter career. So, I can't vote.

Now Brady's career put up against Russell's is another matter. I would take Russell and numbers would only be half of it. Russell's amazing presence seemingly everywhere on the court was on another plain--talk about "making plays..." this was just second nature to him.

The other thing about this whole thread is BOTH players started their careers significantly before 2010.

Yeah, that's true. I think we can say though that they both hit their career prime in the 2010s.

Though Brady did lead the league in passing yards in 2005, I'd argue that he didn't obtain his god-like status until 2007, when he began breaking NFL records (and proving he can throw the ball deep). That's when I think he entered the conversation of being an elite passer. His ascendancy was abruptly cut short by injury in 2008, and experienced a down year in 2009 while recovering from his torn ACL. The 2010 season helped to solidify the elite reputation he earned, with an unanimous MVP award, and a Super Bowl run the following year.

Of course we know James was an elite player from Day 1, but he took off like crazy in the late 2000s (winning back-to-back MVP awards) and went on a tear in the 2010s with a streak of consecutive finals appearances (and NBA championships finally added to his resume)

That's how I view the comparison - though I know it may sound arbitrary to some

Lebron has had far more seasons as the undisputed best player at his position and league than Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes