PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who has ESPN's INSIDER?

AirForcePatFan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Can you get me that article that Joyner wrote on Brady? Thanks!!

Can you get me that article that Joyner wrote on Brady? Thanks!!

It's not really about Brady, but about Joyner's bad decision percentage metric.

Here's the only part about Brady:

"Tom Brady led all quarterbacks with the lowest bad decision percentage for the second year in a row. Brady had a mere five bad decisions in 533 dropbacks, which translates into a meager 0.9 bad decision percentage. If this metric is any indication, no quarterback is better at reading defenses."

He also went on to say Tory James basically sucked last year - hopefully (me talking now) being in a different defense will help.

"Tom Brady led all quarterbacks with the lowest bad decision percentage for the second year in a row. Brady had a mere five bad decisions in 533 dropbacks, which translates into a meager 0.9 bad decision percentage. If this metric is any indication, no quarterback is better at reading defenses."

That's it... Ok.. I thought it was going to be more, like how he was against the other QBs last year... Disregard last...

He also went on to say Tory James basically sucked last year - hopefully (me talking now) being in a different defense will help.

"Updated: April 18, 2007, 3:59 PM ET

Moulds still deserves a jobBy KC Joyner
ESPN Insider
Archive

I recently completed an analysis of my major 2006 metrics for inclusion in ESPN's 2007 Fantasy Football Magazine and I thought I might share some of the most interesting metric highs and lows.

Tom Brady led all quarterbacks with the lowest bad decision percentage for the second year in a row. Brady had a mere five bad decisions in 533 dropbacks, which translates into a meager 0.9 bad decision percentage. If this metric is any indication, no quarterback is better at reading defenses.

Rex Grossman was roundly criticized last season for forcing passes into coverage. Grossman did lead the league in near interception percentage (7.3), but Brett Favre actually topped Grossman for the highest total of near interceptions (Favre 44, Grossman 37).

Terrell Owens may tout himself as one of the best receivers in the NFL, but the metrics say he might not even be the best receiver on his team. Terry Glenn's 10.3 total yards per attempt was more than 2 yards higher than Owens' figure (8.0). In fact, Glenn's YPA was higher at every depth level, including short passes, which is said to be Owens' specialty because of his ability to gain yards after the catch.

There were two surprises in the highest and lowest success percentages for wide receivers. The lowest success percentage belonged to Chris Chambers (44.8). His 16 drops certainly didn't help, so Chambers is capable of bouncing back.

The highest success percentage belonged to Eric Moulds (79.7). While his 7.8 YPA was not all that great, any wide receiver still able to post a success percentage that high deserves a roster spot somewhere in this league.

I'm usually a big supporter of any personnel move the Patriots make, but I don't understand the recent signing of Tory James. James does intercept plenty of passes, but he ranked 93rd in total YPA last year, giving up a whopping 11.0 yards on every pass thrown his way. James will need to show at least a 3-yard improvement in this category for his acquisition to be considered a good move."

If Wilson returns to CB, Gay returns to health, and Samuel returns to the team, then I suppose James could be an acceptable #4/5 CB and backup (or starting?!) FS, albeit an overpaid one.

kind of a weird stat how do they figure bad decisions? wouldnt he have more than that just by his ints?

kind of a weird stat how do they figure bad decisions? wouldnt he have more than that just by his ints?

I don't know a lot about Joyner's bad decision metrics but I would imagine that an interception isn't necessarily a bad decision by a QB. It could be a good decision but the QB just made a bad throw, or it could be that the DB just made a great play which you can't really blame the QB for.

It is entirely possible that James is at the age where he can't compete as an NFL player anymore. Hopefully is this is true the coaches will recognize it in training camp before we are hurt on the field because of it.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back