PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who has been the most impressive Patriots player thus far at the 1/4 mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe if Faulk had been blocking Pollard instead of Sammy Morris,

Brady would not have been injured. Faulk was serving his one game

suspension.

Ouch! This is sad but true.

First off I think a lot of our players have been playing some great footbal (i.e. Faulk, AD, Welker, Mayo) but when I list players that have impressed me Im talking about players that are doing (way) better than I expected.
Overall I think Ghost has impressed me the most, I completely took him for granted last year (we werent kicking many field goals back in the good ol' days :biggrin2:) and I think it would be damn near impossible for him to do any better than he has in the first four games.
Other than him Im impressed with Cassel and his improved gameplay from the preseason and Deltha O'Neil proving he is a solid start after I considered him a backup nickel corner.

This is a nice, positive thread that I'm enjoying, but I have to ask: am I the only one who saw Deltha get burned twice in the end zone on Sunday? Not to mention the hold on third down. I want him to be doing well for us, so feel free to tell me why I should be impressed.

This is a nice, positive thread that I'm enjoying, but I have to ask: am I the only one who saw Deltha get burned twice in the end zone on Sunday? Not to mention the hold on third down. I want him to be doing well for us, so feel free to tell me why I should be impressed.

I think one of the end zone burns was actually a blown coverage by the safety.

The other, if I recall was just a wicked, on-the-money pass.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong the plays, though?

I believe he did get toasted at least once. The coverage on Gore was good, it was a great pass. The second TD could have been the safety or the corner, and nobody was in the vicinity of that play. I think the third TD was Deltha, so I will give him that one.

But he has been in on plays since the first game and really has not made many major foul ups on the level that would be expected of a new accession.

Last edited:
Who has been the most impressive player on the team at the 1/4 pole?

I go with Steven Gostkowski who has turned into a pro bowl type of kicker at this point in the season - Definately has come out from under the shadow from what was once Adam Vinatieri and has his own success now.

i think that Ghost has been terrific, but pro bowl kickers are made in December when the season is on the line, not in September. He's my number three. I'd give a strong second place vote to Faulk. If I'm voting today, I feel I have to give number one to Matt. He's 3--1, picking up the pieces from the greatest QB of his generation and one of the greatest ever. He had a stinker against Miami, but so did the whole team, inlcuding a lot of our favorite veterans...

I believe he did get toasted at least once. The coverage on Gore was good, it was a great pass. The second TD could have been the safety or the corner, and nobody was in the vicinity of that play. I think the third TD was Deltha, so I will give him that one.

But he has been in on plays since the first game and really has not made many major foul ups on the level that would be expected of a new accession.

I just watched the game again on PVR. The Gore TD was against Hobbs and was due to a pretty great throw, the coverage could have been a tad better but it was close. Deltha did get burned pretty bad once, but the other was definitely on Hobbs, the only reason Deltha was in the area was because he saw the pass and left his man. Fair enough.

I just watched the game again on PVR. The Gore TD was against Hobbs and was due to a pretty great throw, the coverage could have been a tad better but it was close. Deltha did get burned pretty bad once, but the other was definitely on Hobbs, the only reason Deltha was in the area was because he saw the pass and left his man. Fair enough.

Exactly. Hobbs was just bearly beaten but the throw was Grade A. I'll gladly take that kind of coverage any day because throws are rarely so on the money.

Deltha still doesn't tackle well and has deficiencies. I am please with his signing and would like to see Wheatley eventually move into that corner later in the season.

I didn't mean O'Neal had coverage on Gore (frankly I only remember O'Sullivan threaded that pass having watched the game once), only that I would forgive whoever had coverage on that one. I recall O'Neal dropping coverage on one of the TDs (I suspect the third as the second TD didn't look like coverage at all given how lonely that receiver looked in the end zone so I could only blame defense as a unit). Overall this season, I have been pretty happy with O'Neal's work in the secondary.

I'd have to go with Ellis Hobbs.

Not just for his DB skills which have been fantastic. Look, no one is going to replace Asante Samuel, but Hobbs has become the leader of those young and unexperienced (within our system) DB's.

But also for his Kickoff return skills, the guy has been lights out. I mean if you look at the difference between our starting position and our opponent's after a kickoff it is laughable. It's obviously a team effort, but watching the difference between Slater vs. Hobbs shows just how talented Hobbs is.

To be fair, though, it seems fairly obvious at this point that they brought Slater in to play STs, regardless of whether or not he handles returns.

I forgot about that. Meriweather having 2 picks in 4 games with neither in garbage time is very impressive.

Not only that, they were both the result of great defensive plays on Meriweather's part, not merely lucky bounces off a tipped pass.

How about Moss for not simply quitting?

He's the best receiver in football, finally playing on a team that is committed to winning which was his goal since entering the league. I don't see any reason for him to quit.

everytime gost hits those touchbacks and 49 yards this season i think WTF did we go for 4th and 14 in the SB ....:(

gosh, i'd forgotten all about it myself. yeah, that's right. and, come to think of it, it happened during the superbowl...which we lost by, what, three points? and, holy s#!, that's how many points you get for a Field Goal...what a coincidence...thanks for reminding us! :violent:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back