PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who has been the most impressive Patriots player thus far at the 1/4 mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Welker has been just as impressive, if not more so. If anyone thought he was only as good as Brady, it should be obvious how mistaken they were.

Without Faulk and Welker, we'd be 0-4.

I expected good stuff from Kevin (he always comes through), Mayo,Wes,Gost,Sey,etc but I wasn't sure what to expect from 2 players-Matt Cassel and Deltha O'Neal. Also Guyton. I like how they're working so hard to be productive and I like their improvement.

Kevin Faulk,keeping in mind he missed the first game,honourable mention to Matt Cassel,Brady is a tough act to follow.

I'd have to go with Ellis Hobbs.

Not just for his DB skills which have been fantastic. Look, no one is going to replace Asante Samuel, but Hobbs has become the leader of those young and unexperienced (within our system) DB's.

But also for his Kickoff return skills, the guy has been lights out. I mean if you look at the difference between our starting position and our opponent's after a kickoff it is laughable. It's obviously a team effort, but watching the difference between Slater vs. Hobbs shows just how talented Hobbs is.

Last edited:
I have to say Matt Cassel. We're 3-1, he's the 17th ranked QB in the league and has throw only one bad INT in about 4 games. This is a guy who more than half the board wanted released in the preseason.

You bet. Whole different level of challenge there. Yes, I sure did dog him based on preseason performance.

The most pressure has been on Matt Cassel. If he been the bad QB everyone seemed to think he'd be the Patriots would 1-3 at best right now. Instead he has done as much as could ever be expected of a backup QB not named Steve Young circa 1991.

Cassell is the MVP so far.

I'd go with Gost. He has been automatic. His kickoffs are booming and when he kicks FGs, it's right down the middle with plenty of distance (even that 49 yarder). He's been the player I have most confidence in right now.

AD has been impressive as well. As noted by an earlier poster, he's been asked to play multiple roles and has excelled (aside from a few coverage issues). He's been our MVP in defense thus far.

Ellis has played solid as well. Although he got burned twice against the 49ers for TDs, he's been solid. His kickoff returns have been solid.

I'd go with Faulk on offense. Wes, Randy, Cassel have been solid, but Faulk has been money when called upon.

Everyone that's been complaining about Cassel need a little perspective. If you compare him to Brady, he's not going to match up well. But if you look at his play, when given time by the OL, he's made some good throws. Right now, my concern is our OL. They've been pretty disappointing with their pass blocking.

LOL, u cant say kevin faulk...

i think if u did, he would pretty much get the nod like every time...

the guy takes us out of tight spots, and makes us win (even when brady was healthy)

he is ALWAYS one of the most impressive players on our team, so i kind of dont think about him when these questions come up...

impressive? ill give it to Gost as well, Special teams is important, as is field position, and with the defense still finding itself, Gost is giving them amazing breathers

Not trying to call anyone out, but here are three pages of anti-Kevin Faulk rant. He wasn't taken for granted two years ago! How quickly fans forget! :rolleyes:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/44692-kevin-faulk.html

I'd go with Gost. He has been automatic. His kickoffs are booming and when he kicks FGs, it's right down the middle with plenty of distance (even that 49 yarder). He's been the player I have most confidence in right now.

AD has been impressive as well. As noted by an earlier poster, he's been asked to play multiple roles and has excelled (aside from a few coverage issues). He's been our MVP in defense thus far.

Ellis has played solid as well. Although he got burned twice against the 49ers for TDs, he's been solid. His kickoff returns have been solid.

I'd go with Faulk on offense. Wes, Randy, Cassel have been solid, but Faulk has been money when called upon.

Everyone that's been complaining about Cassel need a little perspective. If you compare him to Brady, he's not going to match up well. But if you look at his play, when given time by the OL, he's made some good throws. Right now, my concern is our OL. They've been pretty disappointing with their pass blocking.

Well Morris complimented the OL namely Kaczur and Light last week in opening holes for running room so the OL is not all bad

Possibly Mayo. He had pretty high expectations coming in as a high first round pick but I think he's at least matched, if not exceeded them. Anybody see him go 1 on 1 with Frank Gore at least twice last Sunday and bring Gore down unaided? Money. The sheer amount of time he's been on the field speaks volumes in a system that does not let you play until you're ready.

Possibly Cassel. He had incredibly low expectations coming in after a terrible preseason and has been very solid. Our only loss, Miami, can't really be pinned on him. He brought us back from a deficit against the 49ers. He seems to be improving every game. He isn't Sage Rosenfels or J.P. Losman, who are also backups: remember that next time you hate on him.

Possibly Faulk, given that he (along with Vrabel to a certain degree) seems to have taken some sort of anti-aging potion that allows him to still be a very solid punt returner and excellent 3rd down back this far into his career.

To me, someone who I had very high expections of going in really doesn't impress me as much as those who had questions coming in, or those who performed much higher than expectations.

I had high expections of the following before the season started, so I haven't been overly impressed: Moss, Welker, Morris, Faulk, Jordan, Seymour, Thomas, and Hobbs. They are all fine players who have done what was expected, and perhaps a bit more.

The following players have played much better than I expected them to: Mayo, Gostkowski and O'Neal. I also give props to Guyton in his limited role.

=================================================
However, one player stands out. Most of us thought he should have been cut. He is now performing as well as half the QB's in the league. That's not bad for a player who last started a game in high school. I think that our consensus is that Cassel is good enough to bring us to the playoffs if others step up. Who who have predicted that at season's start. Almost all would have said (and many did say) that we would be done if Brady were injured and we had to depend on Cassel. It's as if Titus Adams were performing as our all-pro NT.

This is my first post here and just wanted to add in my two cents. Before the season even started, I expected everyone to keep playing at the same level. That includes Faulk, Welker, etc, but one player I thought looked horrible in the preseason was Cassel. Now, that we're 3-1 with him as QB, I would have to be most impressed with his play. I am not saying I don't agree with everyone else looking at Faulk and Gost as the most impressive, but I kinda expected that out of them. Anyway, that's my take on the first 1/4 of the season.

Gostkowski is a good choice, but I've also been impressed with Kevin Faulk.

I believe if Faulk had been blocking Pollard instead of Sammy Morris,

Brady would not have been injured. Faulk was serving his one game

suspension.

This is my first post here and just wanted to add in my two cents. Before the season even started, I expected everyone to keep playing at the same level. That includes Faulk, Welker, etc, but one player I thought looked horrible in the preseason was Cassel. Now, that we're 3-1 with him as QB, I would have to be most impressed with his play. I am not saying I don't agree with everyone else looking at Faulk and Gost as the most impressive, but I kinda expected that out of them. Anyway, that's my take on the first 1/4 of the season.

Welcome to the board dcpatsfan... good post.

Welcome to the board dcpatsfan... good post.

Most impressed:
Hobbs
Wilfork
Bru ( has all kinds of new speed)
Mayo

Unimpressive:
Seymour
SloMo
Harrison
Cassel
Moss

Last edited:
How about Moss for not simply quitting?

Wow, talk about low expectations.

I'll say Hobbs and Gost. BM has looked good on D as well.

Most impressed:
Hobbs
Wilfork
Bru ( has all kinds of new speed)
Mayo

Unimpressive:
Seymour
SloMo
Harrison
Cassel
Moss

People have to realize that Seymour will never get the highlight reel sacks and hits. His responsibility in this defense is to hold his ground and play the run. Even in playing the run, our DL is taught not to be too aggressive and overpenetrate. Pass rush is an afterthought. Even in Seymour's best year, his sack total was only eight. You guys gotta understand, BB doesn't want his linemen to be too aggressive and just run to the ball. Our defense is all about gap and lane control. I think he's done a good job so far. Aside from the Miami game, we've held teams under control as far as their rushing attack.

Also, when we have our pass-defense packages, Seymour is taken out in favor of Wright or Green. He hasn't really gotten a chance to just go out there and rush the QB.

He's still an extremely valuable asset to our defense. The most telling evidence is that teams run away from his side and go after Ty Warren. Not to say that Warren is being run on like crazy either, because he is holding his own. Miami did run predominantly towards Warren's side.

To me, the most disappointing of all so far has been Vrabel because I expected more from him. Out of him and AD during pass situations, Vrabel is the OLB that is used as a pass rusher while AD drops into coverage. Vrabel hasn't provided the type of pressure that AD showed in the Super Bowl or when Colvin was healthy. Colvin, when healthy, the past couple of years was always a presence in pass rushing situations. Back then, Vrabel was the player dropping into coverage. Although Rosie never got the sack totals we all expected out of him, he was a constant pressure when he was in there. BB always mentioned that QB sacks were the most overated statistics. What was more important to him was QB pressure. Rosie always provided the pressure.

Vrabel's still a solid player, but knowing that we have AD who can be an absolute terror coming off the edge when given the chance, is frustrating Vrabel's not getting the consistent pressure that we need.

Pressure on the opposing QB could go a long way in making our overall defense that much better. Our secondary could get opportunities for big plays if the pressure was always applied.

Wow, talk about low expectations.

I'll say Hobbs and Gost. BM has looked good on D as well.

I forgot about that. Meriweather having 2 picks in 4 games with neither in garbage time is very impressive.

Deltha O'Neal for notably improving the play of the DB's.

D. O'Neil is getting it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back