PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who had better Coverage of the Draft - ESPN or NFLN?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who had better coverage of the Draft - ESPN or NFLN

• ESPN

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • NFLN

Votes: 28 96.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brady199

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I seem to watch ESPN more, for some reason Kiper has grown on me over the years, I can't Stand Berman, and everyone loves Jaws.

But it seemed like NFLN had better coverage of the players selected in the later Rounds, Where ESPN did alot of catching up.

I am unofficially boycotting ESPN, so I didn't watch them very much, but the crew on NFLN was good yesterday (didn't see today), except for some sound problems early on. I can't stand Mel Kiper. He doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. Mayock was very good at predicting the first, and even second round and gave good insights.

I didn't watch any ESPN yesterday, but I did today while at the gym. NFLN was just plain better. Even Marshall Faulk wasn't that bad.

I've watched NFLN the past two years and this year they were on their game.. Mayock destroys Jaws, Kiper and McShay.. Its not even funny how much better NFLN network is.. You don't have ridiculous converstations with the agents but discussions with real nfl personal ... People who have sat in a war room before..

If you only saw ESPN, then you just can't understand how good Mike Mayock is at his job. He's phenomenal. There is no one close.

Every time a team traded up in the 1st they'd ask him what he thought and he'd say "well i think it's obvious" and then name exactly who they are drafting.

ESPN is garbage.

PLus I've been sick of the attempted hatred between McShay and Kiper.. Espn came up with this one to stir stuff up..

NFLN. Mayock is the first analyst where I can actually remember enjoying and valuing his insight into what was going on in the draft.

It wasn't even close. I had NFLN on my computer with espn on the TV and pick after pick, NFLN was getting it right three minutes before an announcement while espn was completely lost with totally wrong calls. The only reason I left espn on was because it became comical how badly they were off in their analysis and predictions in comparison to Mayock and NFLN.

My favorite ESPN moment of the day was when they showed the last 5 Mr. Irrelevants in a graphic around the 245th pick or so. The graphic had Ryan Hoag and Kevin McMahan still on NFL teams. Too bad neither of them are; Hoag was released by the Redskins last September, and McMahan bounced around on some practice squads last year.

Last edited:
NFLN. Mayock is the first analyst where I can actually remember enjoying and valuing his insight into what was going on in the draft.

Mayock was criticized by PFW in Progress today (namely, Tom Casale) for being overly pompous, proclaiming he knew every guy that went would go there, and how great each pick was for each team.

Mayock was criticized by PFW in Progress today (namely, Tom Casale) for being overly pompous, proclaiming he knew every guy that went would go there, and how great each pick was for each team.

but he was right on virtually every pick.

It's not his fault he's good.

LOL Jealousy is a biatch. Mayock has forgotten more about the college and pro game than Allisonlovesbrady will ever know. He played for Bill and Tuna, plus Bill likes him better so he gets actual access...:rofl:

ESPN is the reason sports fans are breathing.

ESPN is the reason sports fans are breathing.

Spoken like a true member of their target demographic. And I think you meant mouth breathing...

What does that even mean?

It means that Jr. is the worst kind of troll, the kind that make asinine comments then disappear to start a new thread and avoid the posters who can tear his ******edness apart in a matter of seconds. Idiocy runs rampant, I guess...thank god he seems to just pop up for the occasional ***hat festival.

I was at a friend's house yesterday without access to NFL-N and saw just about every pick on ESPN. I was not overly impressed. They seemed to want to turn each pick into the savior for his team, rather than just going into why each player was picked. By the middle to end of round 2 they were talking over picks, skipping some all together, and (as someone else said) the falsified Kiper vs McShay feud was horribly transparent.

I watched NFL-N almost all day today. It was light years ahead of what ESPN produced yesterday. In fact, I would say that today's NFL-N coverage was what ESPN used to be. Very in-depth. A lot of discussions with media and representatives from each team, and plenty of time spent discussing each team. More, they discussed each pick of day two.

I turned to ESPN shortly after the Wilhite pick. They were about 8 or nine picks behind. They threw up a graphic with each pick from say 119-130 but only talked about two or three of the picks. NFL-N had video on each one. Instead, ESPN was recycling SportsCenter features which aired at least twice since the combine. That is lazy coverage.

From now on it is NFL-N only in this fan's house.

I was at a friend's house yesterday without access to NFL-N and saw just about every pick on ESPN. I was not overly impressed. They seemed to want to turn each pick into the savior for his team, rather than just going into why each player was picked. By the middle to end of round 2 they were talking over picks, skipping some all together, and (as someone else said) the falsified Kiper vs McShay feud was horribly transparent.

I watched NFL-N almost all day today. It was light years ahead of what ESPN produced yesterday. In fact, I would say that today's NFL-N coverage was what ESPN used to be. Very in-depth. A lot of discussions with media and representatives from each team, and plenty of time spent discussing each team. More, they discussed each pick of day two.

I turned to ESPN shortly after the Wilhite pick. They were about 8 or nine picks behind. They threw up a graphic with each pick from say 119-130 but only talked about two or three of the picks. NFL-N had video on each one. Instead, ESPN was recycling SportsCenter features which aired at least twice since the combine. That is lazy coverage.

From now on it is NFL-N only in this fan's house.

I used to end up bored to death by the ESPN coverage because of the horrible rehashing of round 1 points with the occasional popup or mention of a "name" draftee, but they never talk about the later round picks that often make teams 2 years down the road. On the other side NFLN had video even on Mr. Irrelevant, and most guys in between. The gave me back rounds 4 and on, I could actually watch the whole thing and felt like I came away with more than a regurgitated list of draftees.

nfln blew espn away in their draft coverage it wasn't even close. the only way anybody even paid attention to espn is if they don't get nfln. After listening to mayock's analysis of each pick it just goes to show that kiper doesnt have a clue what he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back