PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Goes When Rodney Comes Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddell1

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Sorry if already posted but any thoughts as to who gets bumped from the 53? I think its going to be someone like Mel Mitchel (?sp?). He is awesome on ST but his age is not his friend.

Mitchell stays. People on the end of the roster at risk are guys like Chad Brown, Santonio Thomas. Two go to make room for Harrison and Rivers, but I suspect Thomas goes to IR and Brown is released to the shadow roster.

its kinda ridiculous that we have 4 starting calibur safeties IMO...Sanders, Wilson, Harrison , Merriweather could all start for us this year and i would be comfortable...i liked what i saw from merriweather last week

Sorry if already posted but any thoughts as to who gets bumped from the 53? I think its going to be someone like Mel Mitchel (?sp?). He is awesome on ST but his age is not his friend.

Mel Mitchell is one of our core ST players this year, no way he goes. He is only 28 yrs old and Izzo, another core ST player, is 33 so I doubt age is a factor. It's more likely Santonio Thomas goes now that Mike Wright is healthy. Hopefully Santonio then clears waivers so we can get him back on the PS. Chad Brown is a possibility but then we will be short on LB's, especially now that Mays was claimed on waivers by the Bengals.

How about Rashad Baker. I don't see Brown getting cut now that Mays is gone. Mitchell is one of our special teams leaders and is here to stay. Cutting Baker probably makes the most sense.

How about Rashad Baker. I don't see Brown getting cut now that Mays is gone. Mitchell is one of our special teams leaders and is here to stay. Cutting Baker probably makes the most sense.

My money is on Eckel. With our past injuries in the secondary we need to keep 20-25 DBs at all times.

Something I just thought of is the versatility of Chad Brown, he can play ILB or OLB and be just as ineffective at either position. In some of these blow out games I would like to see Woods, Alexander and Brown get more snaps (but for the love of man, no Larry Izzo!). Something tells me that we will need these guys to step up at key points during the season.

Harrison can play an OLB in some nickel formations.

Last edited:
Mitchell's been too good on STs; he's a keeper.

S. Thomas and Eckel are obvious candidates, depending on the health ahead of them. If it were Chad Brown, I'd think he would have been cut already before Mays was.

Maybe Washington. Yeah, he'd be an easier choice if D. Thomas or even Mills were still here. But if he's not going to be healthy anyway until the PUPers are ready, he might be on the bubble.

Last edited:
Eckel goes back to PS

My money is on Eckel. With our past injuries in the secondary we need to keep 20-25 DBs at all times.

Something I just thought of is the versatility of Chad Brown, he can play ILB or OLB and be just as ineffective at either position. In some of these blow out games I would like to see Woods, Alexander and Brown get more snaps (but for the love of man, no Larry Izzo!). Something tells me that we will need these guys to step up at key points during the season.

Harrison can play an OLB in some nickel formations.
It will most likely be Baker NOT Eckel...the only way Eckel goes is if Maroney's groin is fully healed...I think that will take a few weeks, so they'll need him for insurance. With Mays gone, CBrown will stay to give some depth to the linebackers.

Mays... they just did it a game early to fill a need at RB. If Maroney looks better then Eckel probably gets cut and hopefully back to the PS. If Maroney isn't better the move they make will be more for him than for Harrison.

its kinda ridiculous that we have 4 starting calibur safeties IMO...Sanders, Wilson, Harrison , Merriweather could all start for us this year and i would be comfortable...i liked what i saw from merriweather last week

How do you know Merriweather is a starting calibur yet?

I think that Moss guy will be the one cut, he's dead weight anyway.

I forgot about Baker.

OK. DBs are:

CB Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, (Troy Brown)
S Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, Meriweather, Baker
Special teams S Mitchell

Am I forgetting anybody? Unless I am, keeping Baker doesn't really seem like excess depth.

Last edited:
I forgot about Baker.

OK. DBs are:

CB Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, (Troy Brown)
S Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, Meriweather, Baker
Special teams S Mitchell

Am I forgetting anybody? Unless I am, keeping Baker doesn't really seem like excess depth.

You're forgetting Willie Andrews.

Including Rodney, we have 10 DBs on the 54; there are also 9 LBs and 7 DLmen. Ass-u-ming that a defensive player is released when Rodney is activated, the most likely candidates are Rashad Baker and Santonio Thomas.

I don't see the FO releasing Chad Brown, yet. Only 8 LBs on the NEP? Unlikely.

Thomas might stay until $eemour is removed from the PUP.

This leaves us with Baker, who should not have made the roster in the first place. Though I prefer 10 DBs on my 53, I could live with 9, as long as one of those 9 were not Baker.

Then again, maybe it's Gutierrez who goes...

If maroney is ready to go i think eckel goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back