PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who gets traded/shopped this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spergon Wynn

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
With only two picks left in the whole draft, I think that it's inevitable that some teams will come calling to offer the Patriots picks for some of their players. I also think Belichick might not want his hands tied with only two more picks and try to shop around some guys. So who is it?

Some have already suggested Hoyer but I personally wouldn't part with him unless it was a 2 or an early 3. Same with Mallet.

Obviously Welker doesn't count as he is not under contract.

Brace? Cunningham? Would any teams really want guys that couldn't cut it here?

Edelman? I have to think that Belichick likes his versatility too much to let him go unless there was an offer he really really liked.

A dark horse I've considered is Spikes. I really like him and think we could have a monster linebacking core in the 4-3 with Mayo-Hightower-Spikes but there have been some questions about him. I'm not sure Belichick would be happy with letting quality depth and a starter get away unless there was a great offer on the table.

Of course, as I've said before, I would be completely happy with making two more picks or trading both into next year and calling it a draft.

What do you guys think?

I think Hoyer will be hard to trade now as it looks as though Cleveland are putting Colt McCoy on the trade block.

I too wondered about Spikes but I imagine it will be too early. Denver need a big run plugger though so it's a possibility (albeit remote). 3rd rounder is probably about right, maybe a second.

I don't really see anyone else that other teams would consider trading for.

Trade Hoyer for as much as possible

I'd be OK with trading Hoyer if we had more of an idea where Mallet is at. Unfortunately where getting to the point in TB12's career where smaller injuries begin to become more of a concern.

I'm also still a little weary about what happened to TB12 the last time we were coming off of a SB loss to the NYG...

They definitely should not trade Hoyer. I'm pretty sure Mallett hasn't shown enough by now for the Pats to have confidence in him to be the back up.

The Spikes trade scenario is interesting but prob not likely. He's played very well but he's more of a two down guy and he had the drug suspension, the eye gouging incident at FLA, the roullette internet chat thing and he wore that god awful pink suit at the Superbowl send off.

Trade Hoyer for as much as possible

Why in the world would we do that? We have a solid backup QB with 3 years in the system making very little money.

When he leaves next year, we'll get a comp pick. I'd rather keep him for the year than trade him now for a slightly higher draft pick and get royally f@cked if Brady goes down for 3-5 games.

As for the original question, the only player I can see being traded is Welker, if he agrees to sign the tender in order to get traded to a team that's willing to give him a big multi-year deal. But I would only do that for a first round pick, or maybe a second rounder from a truly wretched team.

Last edited:
Woah woah, slow down! Brandon Spikes is not getting traded. He's shown to be growing as a player and it's good to have depth in your front 7. Just because we draft a rookie ILB in round 1 doesn't mean we get rid of our 2nd best linebacker.

A dark horse I've considered is Spikes. I really like him and think we could have a monster linebacking core in the 4-3 with Mayo-Hightower-Spikes but there have been some questions about him.

1.) What questions would those be?

2.) It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to trade a young LB who you just drafted right as he's on the cusp of turning into a stud. IMHO, with both Spikes and Hightower you have two violently physical linebackers that give this defense an edge and attitude it has lacked over the past couple of years.

He's played very well but he's more of a two down guy and he had the drug suspension

Indications are that the coaching staff disagrees with you on this point.

Chad O. please, please, please! But I doubt we could get anything for him.

Hoyer or Mallet.

I can't think of anyone else I want to give up that another team would give picks for.

1.) What questions would those be?

2.) It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to trade a young LB who you just drafted right as he's on the cusp of turning into a stud. IMHO, with both Spikes and Hightower you have two violently physical linebackers that give this defense an edge and attitude it has lacked over the past couple of years.

I said it's something I've considered and it is also something that I would disagree with should it occur.

1.) What questions would those be? (re: Spikes)

IIRC he had a few strange tweets last offseason that indicated he wasn't happy here or was having an issue with BB's rules.

Trading Hoyer would be really shortsighted at this point. The Pats are a Super Bowl contender. The team is locked and loaded on both sides of the ball. If Brady goes down with a UCL sprain or something and has to miss five games, the whole season could go down the drain, Chicago-Bears-2011-style. Nobody knows if Mallet can play -- with Hoyer they have at least a little comfort level. I can't see them losing five straight games with Hoyer.

Good quarterbacks are in low supply in the NFL. If you have one and he's on a cheap salary, you keep him, unless the compensation is so huge it forces your hand.

With four quarterbacks being drafted in the first round any chance of trading Hoyer is pretty much shot. Teams are not going to give up much of anything for a guy who has never started a single NFL game, was an UDFA, and will be a free agent next year.

If the plan is to find a team willing to trade for Hoyer then the best chance of getting something in return to make it worthwhile is to showcase him in preseason, and hope some team becomes desperate after an injury or really bad training camp by their starter.

The Pats are better off keeping Hoyer on this year's roster in case of emergency.

what abouat mike jenkins the cb from the cowboys...he must have some issues if they drafted up...but he was a former high pick...he cant be worse than having offensive players play cb...and i would think better than someone in the 5th.

I just thought it was odd that I heard the cowboys may take a 5th rounder and then we trade down like that and pick up a 5th rounder...just wondering

IIRC he had a few strange tweets last offseason that indicated he wasn't happy here or was having an issue with BB's rules.
Somehow I doubt Belichick follows Spikes on twitter.

Somehow I doubt Belichick follows Spikes on twitter.

You don't think that's possibly a sign of something larger?

Disclaimer (once again): I'm a big Spikes fan and want him on this team for a long time.

Thank goodness, nobody was traded. Picks in this draft were all but worthless.

Thank goodness, nobody was traded. Picks in this draft were all but worthless.

I agree. This was one of the worst draft classes I've seen in a long time. I'm no collegiate expert by any stretch but this class was lacking in gifted players IMO.

Last edited:
I agree. This was one of the worst draft classes I've seen in a long time. I'm no collegiate expert by any stretch but this class was lacking in gifted players IMO.

On the contrary, I feel this draft class was above average, I think the Patriots put themselves into a position to maximize it to it's full extent. They got arguably top 15 talent in the late first, and traded down twice with the second second round pick that resulted in a very high upside safety, a great pass rusher, a 1st-2nd round talent CB, and a very good value slot receiver/backup kick returner. Jury is still out on the Wilson pick, but if you see something in him that warrants a pick that high you can't count on another team not doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes