• Other?

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffd

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
My guess would have to be Givens. It would give more time to hammer out a long term deal (I think would happen) and would discourage teams from throwing money at him. I think Givens is more necessary than Adam V.

My guess, just a guess, is other .... no one gets the tag.

First - I'm saying what I would do not what I expect. I have no idea what to expect.

I would tag Givens. Worst case, we pay a few million extra for one year but keep our #2 WR. He's probably a $2-$2.5M guy in my mind, paying him$5.8M for one year wouldn't kill us.

But it would give us time and probably a little negotiating power. Not that Givens would object to the $5.8M but he'd prefer a long term deal. It would also give us the chance to trade him to a team that can work out a deal.

We did this with Tebucky, I'd do it again.

BelichickFan said:
First - I'm saying what I would do not what I expect. I have no idea what to expect.

I would tag Givens. Worst case, we pay a few million extra for one year but keep our #2 WR. He's probably a $2-$2.5M guy in my mind, paying him$5.8M for one year wouldn't kill us.

But it would give us time and probably a little negotiating power. Not that Givens would object to the $5.8M but he'd prefer a long term deal. It would also give us the chance to trade him to a team that can work out a deal.

We did this with Tebucky, I'd do it again.

I'd rather see PATs use those Millions on improving the Oline. PATs can get a
#2 receiver for far less than 5+ Million.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
I'd rather see PATs use those Millions on improving the Oline. PATs can get a
#2 receiver for far less than 5+ Million.
I agree but that's a worst case. Far more likely is we would do a long term deal for far less per year or someone else would and we'd trade him.

I think that Adam gets signed soon, does anyone know what the "Transitional" tag would cost for Givens?

FreeTedWilliams said:
I think that Adam gets signed soon, does anyone know what the "Transitional" tag would cost for Givens?
You can do a search, Miguel posted the numbers, but it was very close to the Franchise number, something over $5M.

Adam just got his agent deal worked out and given the CBA situation it's possible they want to wait on his deal to see if something doesn't get done between now and the draft. So I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him tagged again. As Jonathan Kraft said several days ago, they are working on two seperate off season plans - one with and one without a new CBA.

No way they tag a #2 WR for $6M+ or even transition him for $5M+. While I'm sure a lot of teams are interested in David the FA, and some may even be willing to substantially overpay him, they aren't going to both overpay him and give up multiple draft picks to do it. The Colts are planning to franchise Reggie Wayne in case they can't get a deal done without a new CBA because they know if they do he isn't going anywhere.

I'd much rather dangle a few million more in Joe Jurevicius' direction to see if he couldn't be lured away from Seattle, and you can't do that sitting on a tagged Givens. Overpaying Givens even for a year by handing him more than a third of this years cap increase would be a big mistake. Spend that money on upgrading the Oline and Tom gets to add two very good receiving TE's to his favorite receivers list. Spend that money on upgrading the secondary and Tommy doesn't have to play from behind quite as often. There are just too many places that money could be better spent.

If they can sign Givens for a value BB is comfortable with that's fine. Otherwise, thanks for your service and sayonara buddy.

I would vote for no one.If Givens were given the transistion tag, I would not expect a team to trade draft picks for him. Why should they?? If the Pats do not match the offer, they will get Givens anyway. If the Pats match the offer, then the Pats would take a cap hit in trading Givens away days after giving him a signing bonus.

BelichickFan said:
Worst case, we pay a few million extra for one year but keep our #2 WR. He's probably a $2-$2.5M guy in my mind, paying him$5.8M for one year wouldn't kill us.

If Jarvis Green, a backup, is a $2.7 million guy, then it is very likely that Givens thinks that he is worth more, especially when one considers that the average starting wideout in 2005 was playing under a deal that averaged $2.9 million.

Tagging someone doesn't mean you have to pay him. You could always work out a trade for much less than the 2 1st rounders required to sign him away. The tag just allows the team to do something besides give him away.

I voted "Other"
I don't expect any tags

JR4 said:
My guess, just a guess, is other .... no one gets the tag.

I'm with you JR...the tag is bad and I'm pretty sure Belichick hates to use it.

Sorry, I was thinking this poll was about Elizabeth or Renee.

Never mind.

jeffd said:
Tagging someone doesn't mean you have to pay him. You could always work out a trade for much less than the 2 1st rounders required to sign him away. The tag just allows the team to do something besides give him away.
unless im mistaken, if he signs the offer, then you are obligated to pay him... if we dont want to pay him the franchise number, then we'd have to find a suitor who WOULD pay him that number, PLUS give us picks... right? it could happen, but i would expect any offer of picks to very small. we did get something for tebucky; was that a different scenario?

I think much depends on the CBA situation and whether they can consider long term deals

Without a CBA agreement they might be inclined to franchise or transition Givens for one year - that's seriously overpaying him, but only for one year.

Same with Adam.

PatsWorldChamps said:
unless im mistaken, if he signs the offer, then you are obligated to pay him...

That's where the transition tag comes in - you can revoke it at any time

My guess would be neither gets the franchise tag this year. Givens more likely than vinatieri though. My hope is both are signed long-term. :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back