Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who gets stimulated?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Jan 23, 2009.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Robert Reich get's bagged being a racist, in my opinion, with his statements about white construction workers:

""I am concerned, as I'm sure many of you are, that these jobs not simply go to high skilled people who are already professions or to white male construction workers. I have nothing against white male construction workers."

Robert Reich: Keep stimulus money away from skilled workers and “white male contractors” - Blogrunner

Now I've met Reich a number of times from when he was running for Mass. Governor, and he's a very smart, thoughtful, and disarming sorta guy. He's way too smart to have not realized what he was saying. He is also not a self-loathing, anti-white racist, but these comments are most definitely dangerous to the Obama agenda...to move closer to a post-racial America.

If the Obama people know what's good for them, they will quickly and publicly get rid of this guy. His comments can be spun in a number of directions based on your political slant, but if Obama is serious about moving beyond race and having transparency, he must not retain people who might even appear to have racial agendas like Reich clearly does.

Not to mention how insulting this has to be to minority construction workers. I know a few who have worked their arses off to get the skills (and pay) they deserve and have today who would like to throttle this guy.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

He was clearer here:

Michelle Malkin Robert Reich: Keep stimulus money away from skilled workers and “white male contractors”

"And if construction jobs go mainly to white males who already dominate the construction trades, many people who need jobs the most — women, minorities, and the poor and long-term unemployed — will be shut out."

On the other hand, do you think that money should "simply go to" "high skilled people who are already professionals or to white male construction workers."

Assuming he's correct, white male construction workers have reached a critical mass where money will naturally flow to them because they already dominate the industry. To set up a way to promote diversity makes sense. Many trades have a sort nepotism or favoritism that's rooted in history, so, not because of racism or sexism, but because of comfort levels, it becomes harder for women and minorities to break into the trades.

3. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I've been up for a while now, so you're not about to catch me off guard, Patters.

The point is not what color skin someone has. Welders who can pass a tensile strength test are the only people who should be building bridges and schools - period! Unions are already proactive in attempting to bring in minorities for skilled labor and trade apprenticeships. It's union outfits who will get these jobs and non-union subs and fabricators who have to adhere to affirmative action guidelines already. There is virtually nothing holding black and hispanic kids from joining in on construction.

Personally, I would rather hire a guy from Liberia or Ghana ANY DAY over the majority of young, white, Hispanic or black American-born lazy, self-absorbed, entitled pukes. I see American kids showing up to sites looking for a job with their pants hanging off their azzes and mumbling some incoherent stupidity when I ask them a simple question. Don't get me wrong. Not all American kids are like that but most of them are. Does that make me prejudiced? Maybe a little, but at least I'm not being racist.

Reich's comments are race-baiting, racial, racist,...whatever. This is not the kind of raw meat the new boss wants to be thrown to the lions. I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear a word from Reich again...except to promote his new books.

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

If your point is that Reich expressed himself badly, I agree with you.

But, I also agree with his point. There are industries that have, for different reasons, a disproportionate racial makeup that can't be explained by ignoring the possibility of discrimination. I gather your company is racially integrated, but if Reich is correct that's not the norm around the nation.

Logically speaking, if a company's staffing does not reflect the racial, religious, gender, etc. makeup of the community, then there must be a reason. Reasons why the construction trades (which often require less formal education than some other jobs) underrepresent minorities may have to do to with racism or with lack of attention to hiring practices that tend to favor the majority. As a matter fairness, these things should be addressed.

Out of curiosity, and somewhat related, Do you support the Americans with Disabilities Act?

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

I can't believe they dug that little Creepy Gnome Robert Reich up, I resent the dirty little Racist Scumsucker and his filthy Racist remarks.

This whole rotten Obama administration is loaded with Racists.

The President should be offended and the little worm Reich should be sent into exile with Don Imus.

Dear Mr President,
    Are you offended at this little rats statement, if not you should be, your Dear Sweet Mother WAS WHITE, that makes you Half White something MTV always seems to ignore.

6. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yes. Of course, I do. Disabled people need accommodations. I strongly disagree with your connection. What is your point?

7. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

those comments were mighty small of him. I thought he was a bigger man than that. Hopefully, these comments will not dwarf all his other accomplishments.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

President Barack Hussein Obama should publicly apologize to The White Community for Robert Creep Reich's RACIST remark.

Obama's Mother Was White

9. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

My point is not that he mis-spoke! My point is that Obama needs to weed out all of the racially-based crap in society and officialdom. If he is to gain the support of all of America, he must know that he can't allow "his people" to continue driving these racial wedges into the process of unifying the country.

Minorities have to seek out these opportunities through education, training, licensing, hard work and experience. They also need to speak up and loudly about being labelled as needing special tracking to get and do the same jobs that white men somehow are able to do without these programs. It has to be insulting to be told that you need more help getting through life than someone else only because you're a minority. It starts with parents who realize that you aren't entitled to food, clothing and shelter without lifting a finger.

I can't believe that you think this is all about someone "mis-speaking". I also can't believe that you think Obama is the same-old same-old when all he emphasizes is hard work and accountability. This is not a racial problem. It's a cultural problem based on the perception of many white people as well as ethnic and racial minorities who think they don't have to work because they got pregnant, fu(ked off at school, grew up without a father, etc, etc, .....It's all bullsh!t. This experiment has been going on for nearly 40 years and it has not worked.

And you're right. There are industries that are more proportionally weighted to one group or another. Floor and tile guys (in my area, at least) tend to be Vietnamese. Painters tend to be Irish. Roofers and siders tend to be Polish and Lithuanian. Brick and stone masons tend to be Italians or Czeck. Pizza makers are Greek. All Dunkin Donut employees are Albanian. All employees of Hollister apparently have to be dim-witted white college students. Nail groomers are almost always Puerto Rican or Cambodian women. Black people are very integrated in all sectors here. I can't identify one trade they are more into any more than white guys.

So what do you do about the Greek pizza makers? Force them to hire more Hispanics?

10. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

They might....a little.

11. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

wasnt Reich in the movie "Elf"?

Reich: "Go ahead. Call me Elf one more time!!!!!"
    Farrell: "Ok...you're an Elf"

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -2

From the above link.

Robert Reich:
    Wow. So is this a stimulus bill to fix the "crumbling" infrastructure in the country, or is this a union freebie, with all sorts of racial quotas, and quasi welfare checks mixed in? What's the priority here? Hiring inept people with taxpayer money we're borrowing, to do serious work? Welcome to the trillion dollar national Big Dig, filled with racial quotas, and hiring restrictions.

YouTube - Explosive Video Reich, Obamas economic advisor no "White Male Construction Workers"

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

My point is that to acknowledge reality (and I'm presuming that Reich's comment about the construction trades being disproportionately white is true) is okay. If Reich had said that he is concerned that the construction trades do not provide equal opportunity to the disabled (obviously for those many jobs they could do), would you have objected?

But, again, if your point was merely that he did not use politically correct language, I agree.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Sometimes, Patters, talking to you is like talking to a wall, man.

Once again and for the last time:
    My point is that Obama needs to weed out all of the racially-based crap in society and officialdom. If he is to gain the support of all of America, he must know that he can't allow "his people" to continue driving these racial wedges into the process of unifying the country.

Reich did nothing BUT use politically correct language. His staged "conversation" with Charlie Rengel (another guy I've met, once, who is a truly good person, regular guy, when he's not in front of a microphone) was soaked with politically correct language intended to mask the fact that they both wanted to direct the funds to Harlem, White Plains, Bridgeport, Newark and other "economically disadvantaged" communities. Everyone in the room knew they were talking about minorities.

Fine. But I'd rather they just say it out loud in plain language. My bet is that they weren't talking about Little Falls and Utica. This kind of rhetoric looks bad to white construction workers up in Buffalo and Syracuse who have run out of benefits and have their house on the auction block. It does nothing for racial harmony and moving toward a post-racial America. Resentment runs as deep as dispair.

To your point of the disabled...I don't see any connection between racial /ethnic minorities and disabled people. There are so many levels of the term disabled that we couldn't get into it that deeply, but the major difference is that disabled people are physically and cognitively limited in the jobs that they can do. I assume you don't think the same thing about black people, women and Hispanics, right? Don't gete me wrong. I've worked with many people in construction who fit the definition of "disabled" if you know what I mean. They're the guys who probly should be sitting home collecting a check so no one gets hurt. You know the one's who I'm talking about. They're everywhere in all professions.

But no. I have to admit that I have a real soft spot for disabled people...kids in particular. I don't put all of them in the same "disadvantaged" category as minorities and women. It's apples and bricks to me.

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -2

(insert applause gif here) ;)

16. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

[​IMG]

17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I am of the opinion that it's time racial quotas go away. As Obama has himself alluded to, it's time all Americans pull themselves out of whatever malaise they find themselves in and start contributing.

I also think it would be better to spend money on training programs for our poor. If you receive welfare, then you should be forced to sign up for a training program and the welfare should end at some point for each individual. It can't be an indefinite entitlement.

We can't allow people to see themselves as victims. But we also need to provide the vehicles that will transform victims into motivated members of society.

18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Reich"s way behind the times. Construction's a lot more integrated than you might think. Heck the only Spanish words I know are all related to construction. I know these words because right where it says "nails" on the box it also says "clavos." For you 28 percenters: clavos means nails in Spanish.

Oh and I know all the Spanish swear words; but they're pretty related to the construction industry too:D

19. elway7

elway7 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Great picture! All my little problems and bad attitude just went away!

20. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I know...me too.

A little perspective goes a long way.

Have a great day.:)