Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who gets medicine if a pandemic hits?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, May 13, 2009.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I watched a very interesting special on National Geographic on the Swine Flu and potential pandemics in general earlier this week. They went into great detail on how viruses spread around the globe. It was mind boggling how fast disease can spread.

Anyway, when they got to the part on pharmaceutical cures and preventions, they said that mainly developed nations would get them. That it was impossible for pharma co's to produce enough for the world's population. After all, who would pay them for it? Definately an intriguing topic to debate!

It made me realize how fortunate I am to live in the U.S.. After all, who among us would forego a cure for someone in another nation. I'll admit, this is a case where I believe if a U.S. company makes it, U.S. citizens are a priority over other nations. But that's just my opinion.

2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

And actually, it depends on who you are here. There are contingencies in place here too. In a true pandemic, the sick will quickly overwhelm the system causing breakdowns at every level. There is not even close to enough anti-virals to go around and limited time for vaccines to be developed and produced en masse.

Most disaster contingencies in every community have pecking orders as to "essential" societal elements that must be protected in the event that something like this occurs. For instance, health and law enforcement obviously must get protected as necessary elements that cannot be compromised. Hence, those groups would be the first to have access to those drugs over the general population.

So for the most part, all is not even equal here either.

You’ll be happy to know I’m on one of the priority lists in my community ;)

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

well, at least I have a chance of getting some by stealing it. I know someone who works in a major hospital with access to it. She said she'd take any risk to help her family....that's me! ;)

4. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Or you could join you local Medical Service Corps. the government is trying to establish a network of local responders in the event of a major crisis that overwhelms on a national level. I don't have a link but they are always looking for help even if you don't have a medical background for logistics etc...Join and you'll be essential...voila, problem solved....

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

As the entire Patriots polical board membership scrambles to join...:D