PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you want us to draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are currently slated to draft #22 and somewhere around #42, #45, #54 and #118 in the first 4 rounds.

What I'd like:

1. Re-sign DT Vince Wilfork, CB Leigh Bodden, and OG Logan Mankins (or tender him as an RFA) in FA. There are other important FAs to address, but those are the most important ones. I want to use the draft to upgrade talent, not backfill losses in FA.

2. Sign UFA ILB Karlos Dansby to play SILB next to Mayo and provide veteran leadership in the middle. Rolando McClain is my #1 prospect for the Pats, but trading up will cost a lot and Dansby is the next best thing, plus a veteran presence which could be very valuable. Arizona will almost certainly be forced to let him become a UFA because they've already tagged him twice.

3. Trade #42, 45 and 120 to Atlanta for #19 and #83. Atlanta has no 2nd round pick. Their biggest need is at CB, and with Joe Haden long gone at #19 there's no one else worth taking. In a deep draft, Tom Dimitroff could pick up 2 solid prospects including a CB at 42 and 45.

4. Draft RB CJ Spiller at 19 and DE/OLB Carlos Dunlap at 22. That way we'd get 2 blue chip playmakers, one of offense, and one on defense. Spiller is the best offensive playmaker in the draft, and Dunlap has the size/speed and athleticism to be another McGinest. DT Terrance Cody and OT Brian Bulaga are other options.

5. Draft the best available OG at #54. One of Vlad Ducasse, Gabe Carimi, Maurkice Pouncey and Mike Johnson should be available or within reach.

6. Take a developmental prospect with #83 such as DE/OLB Austen Miles or OT Jared Veldheer. Ideally, trade Adalius Thomas to someone for a 3rd round pick and get both.

Where do I sign?

Great work as usual. I'd be elated with this type of offseason and we'd be significantly improved for a run at a ring in 2010.

We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. Ideally I think we need a 3-4 end replacement for Seymour, a couple of outside linebackers (one being more of an elephant type), a tough physical guard and /or centre, and a couple of home run hits on offense.

I think we have too many holes to be trading up. I just want us to stay where we are and take the best player available regardless of position (within reason). I will say though, I would love to draft CJ Spiller. He will cover a lot of holes on this team. He's a threat to take it to the house on every play, he can catch out of the backfield so can help replace Kevin Faulk, and can also help on our kick returns.

Amen to that brother. Having players is fine but we lack crucial playmakers.

The strategy of trading down is fine when you have a strong base of good players but right now we don't. Who are our impact playmakers? We have very few for a so called good team - Brady, Moss, Welker on offense, and even less on defence - Meriweather? Mayo? TBC?. You could go as far as to say we don't have a single playmaker on defence. Meriweather, Mayo, Butler etc may turn into impact players but they are not there yet. Our defence consists of solid, do your job players. When your nose tackle is your best defensive player you know you have a few problems.

Where do I sign?

Great work as usual. I'd be elated with this type of offseason and we'd be significantly improved for a run at a ring in 2010.

Thanks.

For those who are despairing right now, it's not that big a step from where we are to being an elite team. 4 of our losses were games we had put away (Denver, Indy, Miami and Houston). We still have one of the best nucleus' in the game.

NO was 8-8 last year and far from the juggernaut they've been most of this season. They brought in a new DC and got an aging safety who has turned out to be a ballhawking playmaker in their defense, and they started out 13-0.

We need to change our coaching staff and get much more diversified and aggressive in both our offensive and defensive philosophy. We need to add a few key playmakers on both sides of the ball. We need the young players we have to develop. And we need to get some veteran leadership on defense.

Adding a Dansby and a Dunlap or Cody type of rookie would potentially transform our defense. Dansby would solidify the middle and provide a stabilizing presence next to Mayo, who could play his natural weak side and run around and make plays. More pressure up the middle would improve our outside pass rush. Dunlap has the flexibility to line up at DE or drop into space, and BB could use him in a variety of ways. Similarly, with a guy like Cody BB could move Wilfork to DE and pretty much shut down opposing running games, making teams one dimensional. We have playmakers in our secondary, but with no pressure up front they aren't in a position to make plays. But we have to get much more aggressive and disruptive on defense, and get away from all of this BBDB crap that just gives up yardage and points like they were water.

Similarly, adding a playmaker like Spiller and a stud RG could make a big difference on offense, but we need to get away from the 2007-2009 spread offense with Brady predictably targetting Moss and Welker, and go back to play action, run/pass mix, screen passes, and spreading the ball around. No weapons will make a difference if we have the kind of offensive playcalling that we had this season.

For those who are despairing right now, it's not that big a step from where we are to being an elite team.

That is defintely true. With a couple key moves they can be back in the SB next year. Of course, it also isn't a big step down and this could be a non-playoff team from where we are now. The team is at a crossroads right now. It is a very big offseason.

Leion Washington, Ted Ginn, linebackers, a good cornerback, a great punter, new defensive, DB, LB, DL, OL and special teams coach, the whole shabang. I wish we could trade Moss for Washington and something, maybe even straight up, leon would make a great replacement for Faulk when he retires, if he does! Faulk is Superman, and so is leon, otherwise try and get Ward for cheap! He was amazing with the Giants 2 years ago/

Karlos Dansby with Mayo would be great too.

no, just no. Moss for Leon Washington? abso****inglutely not.

Ndamukong Suh. Doubt BB moves up and makes it happen though.

We are currently slated to draft #22 and somewhere around #42, #45, #54 and #118 in the first 4 rounds.

What I'd like:

1. Re-sign DT Vince Wilfork, CB Leigh Bodden, and OG Logan Mankins (or tender him as an RFA) in FA. There are other important FAs to address, but those are the most important ones. I want to use the draft to upgrade talent, not backfill losses in FA.

2. Sign UFA ILB Karlos Dansby to play SILB next to Mayo and provide veteran leadership in the middle. Rolando McClain is my #1 prospect for the Pats, but trading up will cost a lot and Dansby is the next best thing, plus a veteran presence which could be very valuable. Arizona will almost certainly be forced to let him become a UFA because they've already tagged him twice.

3. Trade #42, 45 and 120 to Atlanta for #19 and #83. Atlanta has no 2nd round pick. Their biggest need is at CB, and with Joe Haden long gone at #19 there's no one else worth taking. In a deep draft, Tom Dimitroff could pick up 2 solid prospects including a CB at 42 and 45.

4. Draft RB CJ Spiller at 19 and DE/OLB Carlos Dunlap at 22. That way we'd get 2 blue chip playmakers, one of offense, and one on defense. Spiller is the best offensive playmaker in the draft, and Dunlap has the size/speed and athleticism to be another McGinest. DT Terrance Cody and OT Brian Bulaga are other options.

5. Draft the best available OG at #54. One of Vlad Ducasse, Gabe Carimi, Maurkice Pouncey and Mike Johnson should be available or within reach.

6. Take a developmental prospect with #83 such as DE/OLB Austen Miles or OT Jared Veldheer. Ideally, trade Adalius Thomas to someone for a 3rd round pick and get both.

One thing I like, and being a draft fan, is that Mayo always approaches this team with our identity in mind. I have struggled a lot this season with what this team's identity is, but I think the play making running back and a reinforcement of the OL as mentioned above would be huge in re-establishing balance offensively, I just wonder still about play calling. I could see us having Chris Johnson & Aidran Petterson and going with a five wide spread or lining up in the shotgun.

The defensive choices here are also stellar. Again, our defensive identity has been a bit hard to figure. I would like to see moves like this were as a fanbase we could sit back and say, "ah I see where we are heading" "that makes sense". Things like that. Anyway thanks Mayo.

Probably because it would be an incredibly, incredibly dumb thing for him to do.
Okay...Clearly, the team is in serious need of pass rushers...

What I'd like:

you had me until trade AD for a 3rd rounder....the I realized you pulled the whole thing out of your bunghole

you had me until trade AD for a 3rd rounder....the I realized you pulled the whole thing out of your bunghole

You can always try. AD has talent, and someone will trade for him. Hell, some stupid team traded a 3rd and a 5th for Derrick Burgess.

nice mayo...

As long as we re-sign Wilfork and Bodden, I'm fine.
A) I like teh idea of your trade up to get two blue chippers at 19 and 22. I'm fine with your two choices. I would also include Cody and McLain as options. I would not include an OT, unless you think he is a potential probowl RG. My concern is that blue chippers may not be available ar 19 and 22.
B) I don't think we can afford to wait until 54 for our starting OG.
C) I'm fine with a developmental player at 83 but I think we need a second OG. After all, we will likely have neither Mankins nor Neal for 2011.

A) good idea. Spiller's small size makes him more like a 3rd down back. I also like Iupati, OG, Idaho. McLain is a beast
B) see A. RB's Dixon (Miss st. all SEC) or Gerhart (Stanford) can be every down backs and have size, power and strength.
C) DE Wooton (N'western) OLB Kindle (TX) and poss C M. Tennant (BC)

Leion Washington, Ted Ginn, linebackers, a good cornerback, a great punter, new defensive, DB, LB, DL, OL and special teams coach, the whole shabang.

Karlos Dansby with Mayo would be great too.

Came close, wish we could have gotten Leon or Dansby! Even Ginn, ok maybe we dont need a returner anymore.

Nice draft overall! A lot of holes will be filled! :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye